Any ideas on flat roof extensions (extra floor)?

(4 Posts)
user1473767408 Tue 13-Sep-16 12:59:57

Our house is a 60s townhouse with a flat roof. Wondering if there's a point in extending upwards, and build an extra floor. At the moment there's the ground floor and two more ( so it's a three-storey house I guess).

The building is a simple box construction, and we could do with another room (at least) and an ensuite. Has anybody done that or have any suggestions? I think there may be prefab options, but they're probably more expensive, on the other hand if we go for onsite building we would be knee-deep in dust for months! We'd love some more room, and also altering the flat roof that tends to need replacing every 10-15 years thanks to rain.

What would you do? Ideally, what have you done? grin

LittlePickleHead Tue 13-Sep-16 13:10:50

You'll definitely need planning permission as the change is visible from the front, so I would speak to your local planning department to see whether there is any precedent.

I wonder whether a butterfly loft conversion would work on this type of building?

www.southlondonlofts.co.uk/YourHome/flats-london-roof.html

LittlePickleHead Tue 13-Sep-16 13:12:18

sorry I think they are actually called Mansard roof extensions

user1473767408 Tue 13-Sep-16 13:23:34

Thank you LittlePickleHead, that's very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now