Extension over garage... Cost?

(8 Posts)
Tiredandtorn Mon 05-Sep-16 16:46:50

Hi, we viewed a house today that is a steal at he price but not quite big enough for us. There's loads of space to extend across the front of the house and ideally convert the attached garage with a large bedroom/ensuite.

So questions...
Is planning likely to be objected by neighbours due to blocking light above garage?

Any idea of costs? We're clueless, never extended a property before.

How much value does it all really add long term? Thanks in advance

user1467297746 Mon 05-Sep-16 16:58:26

what area are you in?

how close is the garage to the neighbours?

has any one else done anything similar in the same street?

Tiredandtorn Mon 05-Sep-16 17:02:29

It's a detached house so I'd say it's about 5 meters at least between houses.

Lots of extension of different forms on the street, especially across the front of the house & garage conversions. None above the garage that I noticed

Tiredandtorn Mon 05-Sep-16 17:02:51

Sorry, in Essex, South East.

CaurnieBred Mon 05-Sep-16 17:03:27

When was the garage built? Are the foundations strong enough to take a second storey? We are in London. Cost us ~£50k for ours and that was with a new roof, converting current bathroom into a shower room to create the walk through to the new master area, removing a chimney breast in one of the front bedrooms and installing supporting RSJs in the loft. We had built the garage 6 years previously with suitable foundations to go up when we could afford it.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:16:15

I agree, the main thing will be to establish whether the footings are adequate. If not, you'll have to demolish the garage and start again. I'd say, and its only a guess, that there may be some policy issue with extending above the garage if no-one on the road has done it - would seem odd (as its usually a cheap way to extend) that no-one has gone down this route. Or maybe the houses were built with the garages and the footings are inadequate so no-one has bothered?

Tiredandtorn Mon 05-Sep-16 19:36:43

Thanks - lots to look into. Think I'm going to get a builder to come for a little look outside the property with me to get some advice

dudsville Mon 05-Sep-16 19:40:46

I can't say, as we haven't done this, but we bought a house where the previous owners built over the garage and there are lessons to be learned. Our extension obviously sits outside the main wall of the house and is colder and the floor is a little shakey if you walk heavily. I think it must not have the wall width of the rest of the house and the foundation over the roof should have been stronger. We plan to redo this ob someday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now