Does this plumbing quote sound reasonable?

(4 Posts)
LemonShizzleCake Fri 11-Mar-16 00:52:33

DH and I are pretty new to the home ownership gig, and need to get some plumbing done - no idea what a reasonable quote looks like, so posting for advice.

We need a leaking valve replaced on a radiator in our hallway. Plumber has looked at it and said the system needs to be drained so it can be replaced (already tried a quick fix with plumbing tape, to no avail). We also mentioned that we'd like to replace our rusting bathroom radiator with a heated towel rail - plumber pointed out it would make sense to do both jobs at the same time rather than us paying them to drain the system twice - seems sensible.

They have quoted £120 to drain the system, remove the rusty radiator and fit a towel rail (supplied by us, at additional cost), plus £60 (their standard hourly rate) to replace the leaky valve while they're here, and then refill the system. So £180 total, plus towel rail which is looking like about £60-80 from Screwfix.

Does this sound reasonable? Should we shop around? Plumber comes recommended by neighbours etc. We're in south London, if that bears any relevance. Any advice/experience gratefully received!

HollyMaingate Fri 11-Mar-16 06:28:18

Sounds reasonable to me. The "famous" London plumber charged me about 140 an hour last time - plus VAT!

HollyMaingate Fri 11-Mar-16 06:30:24

By the way - by reasonable I mean for a London plumber-not in the real world for what actually needs doing as its very straightforward but most people don't want to touch plumbing diy

LemonShizzleCake Sun 13-Mar-16 18:15:06

Thanks Holly! I know that, even though it's "reasonable", it's probably still a crazy amount based on the actual work that needs to be done...DH and I are reasonably practical and do most things ourselves (decorating, some pretty major gardening work, minor plumbing/electrics etc) but heating systems are a whole different language as far as we're concerned! Would rather pay someone the cash from the outset rather than end up spending more to get things fixed when we inevitably c*ck them up... grin

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now