finding workmen to travel in to London

(10 Posts)
potap123 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:33:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bearbehind Tue 16-Feb-16 21:58:10

God- I can't think of anything worse.

Building work is bad enough without a few random builders living with you for the duration!

Unless you know people from outside London that you'd want to work for you then I can't see it is worth the hassle.

Surely they'd charge a premium to work in London anyway as they'd know your were only doing it to get it cheaper so the gap wouldn't be as wide anyway.

Pipbin Tue 16-Feb-16 22:02:56

I have a plumber and electrician who have done bits and bobs for me. Both of them have travelled to London for work which is about 70 miles away. However that has been for office blocks, new build flats that kind of thing.

potap123 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:20:22

Pipbin Tue 16-Feb-16 22:43:29

The chap I know tends to do long days to get the work done. Bear in mind though that he will need to stay in a hotel and therefore this will be reflected in his price.

Bearbehind Wed 17-Feb-16 07:25:47

I can't think that the builders would be too happy working and staying on site either- they'd never get any peace.

At the end of the day you're only considering it to get it done more cheaply, there doesn't see much incentive for the builders.

I can see the logic of asking tried and tested builders who live outside London to work there and pay for them to stay in a B&B but not to source unknown builders and have them live in your house.

potap123 Wed 17-Feb-16 08:19:30

filigree2015 Wed 17-Feb-16 11:50:04

You could look for trades people who are based in the next county from your bit of London, especially if you have good road links. So up in Hertfodshire if for example you live in North London. I've had success with that before. I reckon it works out a bit cheaper, but as somebody else has said, they know you're in London and subject to London prices so you aren't going to get a bargain. I would have big reservations about inviting anybody to sleep in my home who was an unknown - ie hadn't done work for friends or family. And I'm not generally precious about having trades people in my house.

sacbina Wed 17-Feb-16 14:41:43

Whereabouts in London are you. I can recommend some excellent builders around West London

lalalonglegs Wed 17-Feb-16 14:44:55

I think it was more of a thing during the depths of the recession when builders found lots of developments had been mothballed and/or didn't have the funds to carry on with their own developments/pay their staff so they would come to London and work, say, Monday to Thursday, really long hours. Now that they are more likely to pick up work locally, they are less inclined to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now