window in en suite?

(25 Posts)
GatherlyGal Sun 07-Feb-16 18:59:11

We are planning a new ensuite in our bedroom. Part of it will be along the outside wall and dh is adamant we need a window. It means getting full planning permission which I guess involves professionally done drawings and a long wait.

He worries that bathrooms without windows are always damp and mouldy - I don't think it's light he particularly bothered about. I think a decent fan will be more effective than a window at keeping it ventilated but he doesn't agree.

Would you be bothered enough to spend a good few extra £100s (plus the few months ) wait for a small window?

Chewbecca Sun 07-Feb-16 19:03:59

I'm with your DH, bathrooms need ventilation for the steam and the poo smells

GatherlyGal Sun 07-Feb-16 19:16:20

Hang in there no number 2s in the ensuite surely? That's what the other bathroom is forsmile

Bearbehind Sun 07-Feb-16 19:38:02

We've got an ensuite with no windows, no external wall there so no choice.

We've got a fan above the shower and one in between the bath and sink and have had no damp/ mould issues.

Redglitter Sun 07-Feb-16 19:44:42

My main bathroom doesn't have a window. I'd rather it did but it hasn't causes any problems at all

randomsabreuse Sun 07-Feb-16 19:45:15

Decent fan with humidity sensor, good sized radiator and the option to open bedroom window and it's fine. We took a window out to allow adding a door!

LIZS Sun 07-Feb-16 19:45:29

I hated having a bathroom with no window. It was well ventilated but felt claustrophobic.

QOD Sun 07-Feb-16 19:48:06

We have an ensuite with a window ... which we never open! I wish we had a fan

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 07-Feb-16 19:50:31

We have an en suite. No window as such. The window we have is a very high velux;, it is never opened although it lets in light. I bloody love our en suite.,

RiverTam Sun 07-Feb-16 19:56:22

I hate bathrooms with no window, I'd rather not have an ensuite at all than one without a window.

MadisonMontgomery Sun 07-Feb-16 19:58:33

I have an ensuite, don't think I've ever opened the window in it tho! Usually the door into the bedroom is always open & if I have a shower in there I just make sure the bedroom window is open. Never had any problems with damp etc.

Klaptout Sun 07-Feb-16 20:05:56

We have a light tunnel thing in the roof, could you do that? I don't recall having to have planning permission.

iMatter Sun 07-Feb-16 20:11:21

We have three windows in our en suite.

They aren't big but I like to be able to leave the windows open after a steamy shower or smelly poo.

OneEpisode Sun 07-Feb-16 20:16:44

You don't need professional drawings for planning necessarily. We used a marked up picture for a minor request (turning a small window into a dormer). You can usually talk to the planning officer for free and find out what's needed.
I do like the option for natural light if the layout you plan will allow it..

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 07-Feb-16 20:21:15

We have an ensuite with no window amd it's awful
It's not just the ventilation , it's the lack of natural light

Bearbehind Sun 07-Feb-16 20:31:41

I wasn't keen when we bought the house but then it occurred to me that virtually all hotels rooms have bathrooms with no natural ventilation and they don't get damp/ mouldy and the light issue is easily resolved.

Redhound Sun 07-Feb-16 20:37:49

My ensuite has a South facing window and its heaven to have the sun streaming in while lying in the bath. I also open it a lot for dehumidifying.

BackforGood Sun 07-Feb-16 20:43:24

We have a shower room without a window. Put it in about 9 or 10 years ago and never had a problem with damp or mould. Fan comes on with the light.

That said, I'd prefer a window if it had been practical. I don't like the fact you have to put the light on every time you use it.

Also, I'm not sure you are right about the drawings and permission - we put a window on a landing without the need for all that.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 07-Feb-16 20:46:19

We have two ensuites. With qindows. I'd hate them without.
OP Long term gain for short term pain.

damnitdamnit Sun 07-Feb-16 20:47:51

You need a window. We have a great fan and window always open and still have a problem with moisture.

lifesalongsong Sun 07-Feb-16 20:49:53

I wouldn't like to not have a window. I can't imagine not opening it every day to stop the mirror steaming up and to keep the air fresh.

I hate fans with a passion, the noise drives me mad.

JapanNextYear Sun 07-Feb-16 20:56:42

I like as much natural light as possible. A window would be a bonus for me.

origamiwarrior Sun 07-Feb-16 21:01:35

You'd make the money back when you came to sell. I've turned down houses where the bathrooms have no windows. It's a non-negotiable for me.

GatherlyGal Sun 07-Feb-16 21:33:56

It seems the consensus is a window is worth the extra effort and £s.

Will make planning enquiries.

Thanks very much all

GatherlyGal Tue 09-Feb-16 20:53:07

So we don't actually need planning permission!

Thanks again for the replies a bathroom will make a big difference I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now