Are short (window sill) curtains definitely wrong?

(45 Posts)
itmustbeglove Thu 01-Oct-15 20:43:45

We are finally sorting out curtains for a sitting room.
Background; period house, stone mullions, but two big apertures if that makes sense.
If we have full length I think it might look like a theatre but I don't want to get it wrong.
Any experts out there?

HumphreyCobblers Thu 01-Oct-15 20:45:25

Floor length looks better imo, but I am no expert.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 01-Oct-15 20:51:28

Personally I think half-length curtains look absurd. Really wrong.

eurochick Thu 01-Oct-15 20:52:53

I've never heard of any issue with non floor length curtains before I opened this thread. And years ago I used to sell curtains.

Nonnainglese Thu 01-Oct-15 20:56:33

confused
Mine are a little longer so I can tuck them behind the radiators under the windows. Full length would be somewhat ridiculous, stopping the radiators heating the room.

DickDewy Thu 01-Oct-15 20:58:38

Short curtains are an abomination.

RueDesTroisFreres Thu 01-Oct-15 20:59:34

I think full length looks nicer but as above I don't have them in most rooms because they'd block radiators from doing their job. If there's no rad I would go full length personally.

lavendersun Thu 01-Oct-15 21:06:05

IME full length are a nightmare if you have a dog, hairy, shedding or otherwise. I have got roman blinds and sill length curtains for that reason alone.

A family home needs to be practical.

itmustbeglove Thu 01-Oct-15 21:06:49

Thanks for your thoughts.
One of the windows has a window seat but no one really sits on it, the other has panelling underneath. No rads nearby.
If I had floor length there would be no pooling as the hard floor gets dusty.

Lasize Thu 01-Oct-15 22:15:04

Yep. Def wrong.

Acer77 Thu 01-Oct-15 22:20:58

Def full length - esp in a period house. Much classier. Otherwise get roman blinds or shutters...

specialsubject Thu 01-Oct-15 22:21:24

use brain not farty fashion ideas.

floor length on big windows.
don't cover radiators so there you want just below sill.
window sill length if curtains mounted inside reveal.

have all three in my house, depends on the window and the location of the radiator. Could do without these bloody silly poles which leak light and heat, but one job at a time.

itmustbeglove Fri 02-Oct-15 07:36:28

Im hearing you. I'll go for full length but it it looks like the Theatre Royal when they're closed I will blame MN grin

lavendersun Fri 02-Oct-15 09:24:49

grin, I'm with special though. Pre dog and DD I had full length curtains almost everywhere, now (different house), I have none!

IvyWall Fri 02-Oct-15 09:26:31

I agree with special too

WhatKatyDidnt Fri 02-Oct-15 10:03:54

I just don't get floor length curtains (unless windows are also to floor). Shouldn't form follow function?

wowfudge Fri 02-Oct-15 10:36:07

I agree Katy. Not to mention the additional cost of all that extra fabric and higher cleaning costs. This is MN though...

OliviaBenson Fri 02-Oct-15 13:53:30

Have you got a photo op? It depends on the size and proportion of the windows. If there in a window seat and panelling, it may look better to go short? We have both in our house, and no one has ever questioned it!

SlinkyB Fri 02-Oct-15 14:04:49

Such a tough decision; I had this dilemma myself last year. Ours is a 1930's semi, bay window in living room. Track already in situ inside of reveal (think that's the word), and tbh I didn't have the time or money to be ripping it all out to get a pole fitted. Had to get made-to-measure curtains, and again the cost for floor length was pretty prohibitive. There are already wooden slat (Venetian?) blinds there, so didn't need them for privacy.

Ended up with heavy, lined, pencil-pleat, floral curtains just below sill, and hate them! We also have original hard wood flooring and was worried about floor-length pooling and getting dusty. I was pregnant with a toddler and just went for practical. They cost around £300 from Dunelm and dh says we have to live with them for a few years.

Every time I go to a friends house who has floor-length I have regrets, but then they all live in modern houses.

Sorry I'm no help! A picture would be good smile

lavendersun Fri 02-Oct-15 14:16:13

Yes, I think the type of house makes a difference slinky. My Edwardian townhouse had big bays with 9ft high windows and a 2ft ish wall below each bay. I had floor length in that and it looked (and was) fab. Old renovated sashes and it kept it warm.

Now, in a 300 year old place with lots of smaller windows I can't imagine going for floor length anything, partly because of the dog hair and general mess that comes with life with DC, but partly the walls would be all curtains and no wall!

Sleepybeanbump Fri 02-Oct-15 14:23:49

If radiators underneath def can't do floor length unless you want to freeze.

I say of they're plain then either is fine, but patterned probably needs to be floor length.

Practical issue are the deciding factor surely? The previous owners of our house had the most stunning long puddles curtains in the main bedroom. My evil cat would have shredded them in a week so we have sill length. No brainer. Looks perfectly nice.

Sleepybeanbump Fri 02-Oct-15 14:26:10

Oh and height of sill makes a difference. So sash windows that comedown to hip height or below and are portrait layout suit floor length, whereas a little landscape layout casement with a sill above waist height would look silly and overdone IME.

lisbapalea Fri 02-Oct-15 16:04:23

Blimey - who knew that short curtains were an abomination!? Just took delivery of two pairs for our living room and they look lovely imho.

They are both to cover windows which sit above radiators, if that helps exonerate my dreadful taste....

lavendersun Fri 02-Oct-15 16:09:34

Only on mnet lisbapalea, real world is usually different smile.

skippy67 Fri 02-Oct-15 16:22:09

I have short length, to the window sill. I have a radiator under the window, so full length would block the heat, and look stupid as the windows (obviously) aren't floor length.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now