Building regulations query - help!

(4 Posts)
queribus Fri 12-Jun-15 15:56:24

Back in 2012 we replaced a large window in the kitchen with French doors. Our builder advised that we didn't need building regs - and I (perhaps foolishly) thought no more about it. Now we selling the house and I'm really worried that this will scupper the whole thing.

I know I can retrospectively apply (although this seems to be very complicated) but do we actually need building regs for this sort of work?

Thanks!

bilbodog Fri 12-Jun-15 16:39:32

I've just googled it and it looks like you should have Building Regs. It is the sort of thing that can cause a problem when you sell so you could either do it retrospectively or not - and then be prepared to pay for indemnity insurance to cover that fact that there is no certificate.

poorbuthappy Fri 12-Jun-15 16:45:27

The indemnity insurance is likely to be cheaper than the retrospective building regs I think...

lalalonglegs Fri 12-Jun-15 19:33:23

Did he get you a FENSA certificate, solicitors are obsessed with them. If the width of the windows didn't change, would you need building regs (ie, if you didn't have to put in a wider means of support)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now