Where best to live in Reading/Wokingham with 3 older children?

(6 Posts)
JustKerry Mon 08-Jun-15 09:43:20

Can anyone help shed some light on this subject? We are looking to move to Reading/Wokingham but really don't know the areas at all. I have 3 children aged 12, 8 & 7. The schools are the biggest area of concern for me, mainly secondary as my daughter has mild Autism, which means she will require a little help from learning support.

We are due to come and have a look see in a few weeks but wondered if there were any specific areas we should aim for or avoid?
Any info would be appreciated.
TIA

ohnoyou Mon 08-Jun-15 16:51:47

If you're looking at Reading I would aim for Caversham. There are 2 secondary schools both good. Highdown is in Caversham, it is a large school with good facilities. Chiltern edge is in Sonning Common but Reading provides a free bus service. Chiltern edge is a much smaller school which offers excellent pastoral and learning support.
I don't know very much about Wokingham schools, so hopefully someone else will be able to advise.

littlecupcake Thu 11-Jun-15 23:05:15

Lower Earley is between Reading and Wokingham. Maiden Erleigh is a good secondary school.

SevenAteNine Sat 13-Jun-15 08:58:19

I'd second Caversham, or if you prefer to live somewhere smaller, perhaps Sonning Common.

Chiltern Edge and Highdown are both good schools.

JustKerry Sat 13-Jun-15 10:14:17

Thanks for the details. We're over in a couple of weeks so will definitely take a look around at these areas.

DrElizabethPlimpton Sat 13-Jun-15 11:01:08

I second Sonning common. Bishopswood special school is co located in the Sonning common primary site and Chiltern edge school site - as well as Valley road nursery. They work closely with the main stream schools - so although your DC might not be a Bishopswood pupil, they can get some support where necessary.

Best of luck. South Oxfordshire is a lovely place to live so do give it some thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now