Architects...is this excessive? Or just me [blush]

(23 Posts)
Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:31:04

Hoping to have a small 2 storey extension on our house. The builder says it's very strait forward and recommended an architect. I asked the architect for a quote, and it's come back as £1375 plus vat for drawings and sending it off for planning, and a further £1050 plus vat for technical drawings for building regs. This does not include postage printing or travel or local authority fees. Whatever they are...

I sort of thought £500 quid might cover it... Naive?....

Is this a normal sort of fee? Not had anything like this done before.

Thanks.

LondonGirl83 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:34:53

That's not unreasonable.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:36:03

Ps we are not in London if that would make a difference.

schmalex Thu 06-Mar-14 14:36:14

Seems normal to me too.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:36:23

Ok thanks

struggling100 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:43:48

Yes, that's normal. It's expensive.

If you know exactly what you want, you could employ an architectural technician to draw up the plans for you at a lower cost.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:44:36

Thanks for feedback. I thought I'd read in a homes mag that you can expect to pay £4-500 for plans... Must've misread.

Labootin Thu 06-Mar-14 14:47:05

Homes magazines price quotes are the equivalent of the Chicken that's feeds a family of eight for a week plus soup.

Fee sounds about right.

pmgkt Thu 06-Mar-14 14:47:33

That's expensive, it was fine until I noticed they were charging another grand for the building regs. My hubby does this and I would say about £1200 + vat for both drawings plus you pay building reg/planning fees to council. Unless you are trying to do something with huge amounts of glass or very technical

pmgkt Thu 06-Mar-14 14:47:52

Where are you anyway?

MummytoMog Thu 06-Mar-14 14:50:00

I paid about �1500 for plans for a two storey extension, and then paid the planning fees direct to the council. No other fees for technical drawings from what I remember. In London.

You could ask around a bit. If it is very straightforward, you might find someone cheaper. I don't remember the technical drawings being terribly complicated, just with positions of the steels and descriptions of the various insulation/windows/smoke alarms etc.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 15:03:44

Thank you. We are in the midlands. Thanks for the advice

pmgkt Thu 06-Mar-14 15:23:08

I would get some other quotes locally then, sorry we are down south so can't help you out.

Parliamo Thu 06-Mar-14 15:27:12

I've just paid 550 for plans for a bigger two storey extension plans + building regs + planning fees (which are fixed by the council). It's pretty standard stuff though, and all he's done is draw up (hand drawn - he's old school!) my ideas.

I'd be asking round and getting some more quotes. Asked any local builders for recommendations?

AngryFeet Thu 06-Mar-14 15:30:46

I am paying similar but ours is quite complicated. If your is simple then just get a technician to do it. Half the cost.

wigglybeezer Thu 06-Mar-14 15:38:03

I am paying £ 600 not including fees etc. but that is for taking down a wall and putting in a new staircase. Also it's my NDN and he is doing it at mates rates.

truelymadlysleepy Thu 06-Mar-14 15:57:40

As above I'd be looking at an architectural technician to do the construction drawings if it's a simple job.
Your builder might know a local one.

AngryFeet Thu 06-Mar-14 16:09:07

Technicians often advertise in the local paper

lovingmatleave Thu 06-Mar-14 17:32:01

If its pretty straightforward you don't need a fully qualified architect. Try an architectural technician or someone advertising architectural services. We are being charged around £1000 by one these for both sets of drawings, plus planning fee and building regs fees which are charged by the local authority.

MaryShelley Thu 06-Mar-14 18:22:10

Seems good. Tbh, lot less than we have paid! We also paid for a full measured survey @ £1000 as the architect needed to know all the existing features and dimensions of the house. Remember also, fees for planning and fees for building control. And we have had to employ a structural engineer for his input too .

LadyKooKoo Thu 06-Mar-14 19:57:41

Where about in The Midlands are you? Our architect works for a big firm in Birmingham but does work on the side. We paid £250 per set of drawings (buildings regs have just gone in) and he also put us in touch with a structural engineer who did all the calcs for the steels etc and he charged us £300.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 21:10:22

Lady Kokomo owe are near Redditch I'd be grateful of any recommendation xx

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 21:10:49

Thanks for advice all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now