Black out material which doesn't leave a mess behind when removed

(11 Posts)
bahbahbah Sun 19-May-13 16:20:33

Hello,
I've just moved into a lovely rented property but the curtains are totally hopeless and so I'm going to have to get some black out material. I'm only likely to be in the property for a short time and so don't want anything too permanent, and certainly not something which is going to leave marks or damage the paintwork etc., especially as its a new property and everything is all pristine.

I've read some recommendations on here for the easyblinds website and see that have they velcro blinds but they do say on the website that when removing the velcro it can pull away varnish or paintwork.

There do seem to be some products which use suction pads instead of velcro and wondered if anyone knew how these work / how effective they are etc.

Any advice much appreciated!

NorbertDentressangle Sun 19-May-13 16:22:22

You could make removable black out linings for the existing curtains.

TheLordOfTheDanceSettee Sun 19-May-13 16:23:05

Tin foil. Blue tack. Done.

PolterGoose Sun 19-May-13 17:33:55
coffeewineandchocolate Sun 19-May-13 17:42:24

I second the gro anywhere blackout blind

Mum2Fergus Sun 19-May-13 17:44:44

Gro blind here too, its fab.

nextphase Sun 19-May-13 17:57:39

You can buy black out liners for curtains from places like Dunelm Mill.
Or what about just buying a decent pair of curtains, and replacing them til you move?

bahbahbah Wed 22-May-13 12:57:53

Hello there,

thanks for the suggestions. Looks like it will be the Gro Anywhere Blackout blind!

thks

RenterNomad Thu 23-May-13 12:04:25

If you have any objections to buying through Amazon, John Lewis has got it at the same price: here.

Misty9 Thu 23-May-13 20:54:57

We're in rented and I bought a pair of blackout linings from dunelm mill. £20 ish and do the job brilliantly. I didn't realise, they attach to the current curtains using the same curtain hooks (you can get eyelet ones too).

What PolterGoose said. It's pretty good. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now