areas of the UK that are cheap-ish for houses now but bound to go up in value? + why is Nottingham so cheap?

(207 Posts)
allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 00:22:26

This would have to exclude South coast (Hastings and so on), and also the North proper, as I need easy access to London and other parts of the country.
Just find myself really hankering after space and a house or large maisonette, without other people living on top of you or on both sides (3 good size beds semi-detached ideally, or a flat on two top floors with loft space), having only lived and looked at flats in London and SW - I'm increasingly finding that a nice area doesn't compensate for the lack of space anymore. I think the older you get the more space you want!

The area has to be reasonably nice but not chi-chi, i.e. low crime levels and must have a train station with access to london ideally in 1hr but could stretch a bit. It also has to be quite green with nice surrounding country. Town or city. I can't do cottages or modern boxes, used to live in high ceilinged London flats.

So far I found a couple of nice looking places with cheap houses, but usually too far from London (i.e. around Harrogate - just great old houses there, small towns in SW). Or places like Abingdon in Oxon but no train station.

Well, there is Nottingham - some nice spacious period houses on rightmove, MUCH bigger than what you can get in many places. What I don't understand is why it takes so long on the train - are there plans for faster trains there? York is much faster even though further out. What's Nottingham really like? Is it likely to go up in value? Is it better than Sheffield which I know a little?

What about Stamford/Northampton to compare with Nott? In sw there is Chippenham and Swindon that are cheap but not attractive, are these places better in comparison?

I need to buy somewhere where prices are not going to drop and ideally rise as my cash income is low atm and it's important to invest well. My mum may well need to move in with me when a bit older too, so somewhere with buses a bonus. Oh and reasonably nice, friendly people a big bonus. School cattchments are not important.

If anyone is selling something like this, PM me - and maybe introduce me to a new area!
Sorry for the long saga...I'd be grateful for someone to help put an end to this frustration!

allaflutter Wed 15-May-13 00:59:12

Birds, I didn't mean HS2, indeed too long to wait for that! But someone said early on in the thread that they aer improving Derby station and the trains may become a bit faster (not radically but a little would help also). Still no info in that since from anyone, so not sure how accurate was that.
Flooding is putting me off, links to the west - well aer they better from Derby, Market H or Bedford (my places on the list grin? I think probably not, sane as now I'm in SW and links to the east are 'forget it' - nearly 4 hrs to derby, so the only way - via london. It's not really a dealbreaker as I do stay in london sometimes.
Hopefully the other 3 places I'm considering don't flood! I've alwaus lived in upper floor large flats so far, so buying a house for the first time and then dealing with it flooding, fills me with dread shock! especially as atm I don't have a live-in P.
Signora I hoe you aer right that town centre doesn't flood - is that CERTAIN though? thanks for all the cafes suggestions - you know exactly what I need to hear to warm up to a place! book shops too smile.
Thank for NT/parks info, that sounds good. But I'm wobbling a bit on newark.
Any more info in Derby? what's shopping/cafes like there. Are people definitely more gentle/friendly than in manchester/birmingham grin? I find Yorks people are very relaxed and easy to get on with (generalisation).

spotty26 Wed 15-May-13 06:56:24

Warwick Ave Bedford on Zoopla £234,995 is nice.

The Castle Road area is nice by Russell Park and the river. The High Street itself is a bit run down but isn't every uk town centre excluding the likes of Bath and Chester etc? I will just use it when I need it and hang out in the smarter bits!

TheChurchHouse Thu 16-May-13 13:51:34

How about Letchworth, OP? Saw someone had mentioned Hitchin earlier-Letchworth is the next town along. On the Cambridge-London train line, so approx 30 minutes in Cambridge and Kings Cross, masses of green space, big gardens and a really nice community feel <grew up there and planning a move back!>

Nice period houses with lots of room and well inside your budget www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36174355.html

Shopping isn't the greatest, but Hitchin, Cambridge and Welwyn are all near by smile

TheChurchHouse Thu 16-May-13 13:52:52

Oh, nice cafes and places to eat out, and a brilliant independent bookshop that does lovely cake too!

allaflutter Thu 16-May-13 23:20:36

thanks TheChurchHouse - sounds very nice, again wouldn't even know of it if you didn't mention. is it similar to Bedford - better even? I like the idea of 30 min to Camb AND London. The house is not in my taste but appreciate te space, so thanks, style-wise I really need high ceilings (red brick Victorian or Bath stone is my thing). I'm away atm so replies will be a bit short grin - it's a funny notebook for typing. Is it a pain to get westwards also (like Derby) or better, not that it's crucial.
spotty thanks - it's good but a bit too small and only front garden (I wonder what's at the back) - would rather pay more to get more, but it's almost there.

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 17-May-13 19:27:20

Have you looked at Grantham? Don't know it at all but I know it attracts people who need to commute to London but don't want to live there.

Derby's 90 mins to London is not about to be shortened I believe. It's not great as a city - Nottingham much nicer - though I'm sure it has nice bits.

allaflutter Mon 27-May-13 18:31:20

bumping the thread after being away.
planning to visit Bedford soon smile - any more info on Letchworth, TheChurch - are there period properties as can't see any on rightmove (or they are above budget and hence don't appear)?
any other places that I could visit on the same day?
Grantham hasn;t been really suggested, Leonie, as I think it's too small and not that near London, so I didn't really look at it, maybe lacks 'life'.

Is Bedford on the right line for quick access to Derby (not daily)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now