London Commuter town - no aircraft noise?

(33 Posts)
Julia2132009 Wed 27-Mar-13 14:14:27

I am moving from Southampton airport's doorstep and I desperately want get away from low-flying aircraft. I want a nice town for DS to grow up in (He's 4 yrs). DP needs to commute to London for his new job - under one hour on the train. There is a ring of airports all around London - can I avoide the air traffic? I was looking at Sevenoaks. Can anyone help?

discrete Fri 29-Mar-13 21:19:53

The problem is people get very used to flight noise and don't notice it. I was looking at quite a few of the places mentioned on this list a while ago, and discarded the vast majority because of flight noise!

It's not generally very low flying aircraft, but anywhere in the west or south of London is at risk of having circling aircraft overhead waiting to land in Gatwick or Heathrow IME. Not a huge issue for most people, but if you are sensitive to aircraft noise (as I am) it could be really annoying.

Redbindy Fri 29-Mar-13 21:24:09

I lived in Berkhamstead years ago. The noise from aircraft flying out of Luton was a PITA sometimes.

narmada Sat 30-Mar-13 10:44:22

Kingston upon Thames has a lot going for it.

tethersend Sat 30-Mar-13 10:50:52

You'd like Hitchin- 25 mins to King's X.

North of London, though.

MrsGrowbag Sat 30-Mar-13 11:01:23

If you are prepared to go North, what about Saffron Walden? Gorgeous little market town, cheaper than Surrey area, but no theatre. Only 20 minutes from Cambridge though which does have a LOT of amenities including world class museums, great theatres and cinemas, and loads for kids. Drawback is that the train from Audley End (nearest station to SW, about 2 miles) only goes to Liverpool Street.

Jollyb Sat 30-Mar-13 11:08:45

I live in Sevenoaks and grew up in Tunbridge Wells - must say I find the aircraft noise far less noticeable here than in Tun Wells. (Though it wasn't that bad there either and wouldn't put me off buying).

elvisola Sat 30-Mar-13 11:24:52

Radlett is nice

HalleLouja Sat 30-Mar-13 11:39:24

St Albans?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now