Tell me your best storage ideas for a small hallway

(25 Posts)
tugamommy Mon 25-Feb-13 10:01:46

So we've just bought a house, haven't moved in yet. It's 4 bedrooms and we have 2 dc but the rooms are smallish and there is no garage and there's very limited storage so we're going to have to be creative...

Starting with the hallway - any good ideas? At the moment we have a shoe cabinet and a built in wardrobe with enough space for seveal coats, shoes, and a couple of shelves for gloves, hats, cycle helmets, etc. And ideally would need something that would store the same things.

Clever ideas greatly appreciated! TIA

qazxc Mon 25-Feb-13 11:02:52

lurking with interest as we have hallway the size of postage stamp.
Would these www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90232133/ be any use to you?

MoodyDidIt Mon 25-Feb-13 11:03:56

ooh watching as moving to new house soon with tiny hallway

Iamcountingto3 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:04:27

Another lurker. We don't even have a hallway really, just a sort of dumping space...!

Astelia Mon 25-Feb-13 11:13:42

Is there room to have storage shelves round and above the front door fitted (so you walk through a little tunnel), suitable for cycle stuff, umbrellas etc?

My friend has fitted wooden cubby holes for shoes/boots/hats along her hall wall at knee level with a wide enough bench above that the DCs can sit on. Hooks and shelves are above at eye height. It looks very smart.

BreadForMyBREADGUN Mon 25-Feb-13 11:18:02

If you have room in a corner somewhere, one of these or similar, is useful for gloves/hates/shoes if the DC are still little.

2 levels of coat hooks - one for you, one for DC.

Put a low shelf in your built-in cupboard for more shoes.

kennythekangaroo Mon 25-Feb-13 11:22:36

Really like these under stairs cupboards.

Locketjuice Mon 25-Feb-13 11:30:35

Lurking wink

Chubfuddler Mon 25-Feb-13 11:34:21

A small ikea expedit with baskets for shoes/scarves/gloves etc

Wicker tray basket on top for post/keys

Wooden coat peg thingy above for coats. Out of season coats stored elsewhere ie under beds in zip up bags so the hallway isn't cluttered.

LadyKooKoo Mon 25-Feb-13 11:39:18

Check out this.

Indith Mon 25-Feb-13 11:39:54

I use hanging shelves in ours, those fabric ones that are supposed to be used in wardrobes. I have a shoe one and waiting to be hung a larger one which will mean each member of the family will have a cubby for their school bag/library books/hats and gloves/brolly/sun hat etc.

Ours you walk in and directly right and left are doors to the kitchen and the bathroom and in front of you is a small alcove so at the moment on the floor we have a shoe rack, a folded buggy and a plastic box for mucky shoes/crocs/wellies and the odd ball. Then on all 3 sides are coat hooks and then there is just enough space to hang the shoe tidy and shelves from the ceiling between the coat hooks and the doors.

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 25-Feb-13 11:40:05

The ikea shoe cabinets are great. Like this. Other shops do them too, but they are so slim it's not much deeper than a double radiator and shelf, & fits 12 pairs of shoes.
I've used one drawer for gloves & hats before.

Above fit a similar style and colour shelf/hook combination for coats, & use the shelf above for cycle helmets. Like this,or many different styles available.

LadyKooKoo Mon 25-Feb-13 11:41:25

Or this and this.

BreadForMyBREADGUN Mon 25-Feb-13 11:42:16

Pinterest is great for this sort of thing.

Iamcountingto3 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:42:17

ooohh, kennythekkangeroo, those are great - I need to sort our understairs and the one with the tiny desk space would be perfect! Love the idea of pull out shelves - great use of such a deep space.

noisytoys Mon 25-Feb-13 11:42:50

Wardrobe in bedrooms for shoes, coats etc and leave the hallways clutter free? We live in a flat with long narrow halls and there is nothing in the hall at all

ivykaty44 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:51:47

do you have a utility area?

tugamommy Mon 25-Feb-13 12:43:40

Oh thanks everyone, some great ideas!
I suppose what we want is to store all the stuff there but still keep it clutter free, which with the space we have is going to be impossible....
But I like the idea of the benches with hooks above - that could look nice.

No, sadly we don't have a utility area.

steppemum Mon 25-Feb-13 12:44:32

oh lots of nice ideas

we have quite a big hall but no walls (doorways, radiator, stairs etc)
The one wall we have needs the coat rack on. dh and I can't agree on it. Understairs is open and big but very low (stairs turn so the only height is the coat wall)

I mark place with interest

Going to get that dvd tower for our upstairs hall for all the kids books (paperback chapter books) I was just looking at the empty corner thinking that would be a good idea yesterday.

Iaintdunnuffink Tue 26-Feb-13 09:54:47

We have a tiny hall and have managed to fit in a shoe cabinet
www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/SHOE+CABINET.htm it's quite slim and does fit in quite a few shoes.

Above it we have a row of coat hooks. Then above that a chunky, deep ikea shelf, I think it was one of their hat racks. On that I have boxes for hats and gloves.

AlfalfaMum Tue 26-Feb-13 10:11:14

I'd love to get Stair drawers either on the side or in the actual steps; you'd need a good carpenter and lots of money though.

piemistress Wed 27-Feb-13 15:23:25

Lurking toosmile

you can get lovely old fashioned 'railway/train type' luggage racks - have seen nice ones at Jim Lawrence - google them! That way you can keep clutter off the floors as it's a shelf and hooks

jaynebxl Sat 02-Mar-13 07:06:27

We are buying a house with a small hall and after years of living in our current house with a long narrow hall I've decided I'm going to sort the problem very quickly. We've decided to go for a porch so that we can have extra space to hang coats and stuff shoes. From what I can gather this isn't too pricey. Would it be a possibility for you?

GrumpyCrossPatch Sat 02-Mar-13 22:52:02

If there is a cupboard you can get shoe racks on amazon that hang on the back of the door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now