tell me about your home

(133 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Wed 16-Jan-13 13:46:35

As I'm feeling a bit jealous that everyone seems to live in bigger homes than me tell me about yours

This is mine here

I would love something with more space but I can only dream at the moment.

Devora Wed 16-Jan-13 23:58:09

I live in a badly modernised 30s semi with 5 bedrooms. That sounds massive, but the rooms are small - one is really a cupboard, which is what we use it as. Nice things about my house: lots of storage, big garden, lovely area, great neighbours, light and sunny.

Bad things about my house: no hallway, living room is like a waiting room (straight off the street, open stairs allow all heat to rise to the top of the house), no original features, crappy kitchen, crappy bathroom.

But mainly I'm grateful for the location and for the space. Before we lived here, I was nearly 20 years in a 2 bed flat so I do feel your pain.

ironhorse Thu 17-Jan-13 00:06:49

we live in an old victorian house built in the 1840s. lots and lots of space in all the rooms as theyre quite big, main bedroom is 5m square, livingroom is 7mx6m all with 3m ceilings etc. etc. hall is quite big and very high ceiling for a house, 5m tall - the worst thing is trying to heat it - its not so bad just now as it isnt too cold but previous years when it was cold was a nightmare, we were in bed with our clothes on to try and keep warm and heating was on all the time. lots of tall windows all round the house and luckily we live on top of a hill overlooking the river in front of us, we can see right up and down it and as far as the eye can see. the heating issue pales into the bakground in the bigger picture - wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

TheSecondComing Thu 17-Jan-13 00:15:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumblequeen Thu 17-Jan-13 00:19:08

1930's eot house with two double bedrooms and one single box room.

Like:
Quiet road
Pretty front and back garden
Modern house - very low maintenance
Large kitchen diner with full size dining table
Original features - fire places
Large loft
Understair cupboard for hoover/hardware/food items when we do a bulk shop

Dislike:
box room as third bedroom which accommodates an adult bed
No osp
Slim hallway
tiny bathroom
Average size living room

Walls are magnolia and ceilings are white. It really does give an illusion of space and high ceilings. We -I-- am a minimalist so try as possible to keep items off the floor as this closes the room in.

DD's toys are in her bedroom, she brings them into living room for the day and back up they go.

I would love a bigger bathroom - why oh why did I overlook this when viewing?

I would love a second reception room/playroom for dd. This way all her toys could be kept downstairs. I can not cope with my living room being swamped with toys day and night. I feel guilty as I have friends who are more than happy to have their dc's toys stored all round the house.

I would love a second toilet and off street parking.

StupidFlanders Thu 17-Jan-13 01:01:12

I think this thread proves that you can't have it all!!!

I love my house, it's big (4bed) and will soon be doubled in size! It's modern and easy to keep clean, I have lived in older houses which never sparkled no matter how much I scrubbed. It's perfect for us but I still love the thought of a large old house full of antiques!

DumSpiroSpero Thu 17-Jan-13 01:13:10

1930's semi. Extended sitting room, decent size separate dining room and a kind of oversized galley kitchen (long but wide enough to have units down both sides and a reasonable bit of floor space in the middle). 2 double beds and large (8x10) single bedroom which will become spare room/office in the next month or so as we moved DD into the biggest bedroom last year. Full bathroom and 2nd wc next door confused.

It works for us and after 10 years we have almost done everything we need to in the way of renovations - just our room, wc and garden to finish.

echt Thu 17-Jan-13 04:17:09

I live in a shed. It's a late 70s/early 80s timber-built shed. With a tin roof. This is Australia, so all bedrooms fit a double bed and have fitted wardrobes. The nice thing, and I can see the OP's gaff lacks this, is a second living/sitting room area downstairs.

Another good thing we have is doors, and this is because the design is older. Lots of Aussie homes are horribly open-plan, with tiled and/or timber floors which, coupled with no doors is a frickin' nightmare of noise. We can close the doors between front and back, and have a life!

What do I like best? The front room which has floor to ceiling windows down one side, about 20 feet, which looks onto the side passage, about 5 feet wide, full of plants, mostly of the house kind you can grow outdoors here.

Not so good? No hallway, so nowhere to park shoes, hats and coats which doesn't involve a trip across the carpet.

ripsishere Thu 17-Jan-13 04:39:34

We live in an open(ish) plan flat on floor 19. We have a lobby with iron gates on the front. The living/dining room is a reasonable size, the kitchen is tiny- I've got four cupboards, a sink, a worktop cooker and a fridge freezer next to the dining table.
Three bedrooms, two are a decent size, the other is large enough for a double bed but since we put a desk into it, you have to sq-e-e-z-e yourself in tightly to get round it. I have an outdoor kitchen too. Least said about that the better.
In England we have a 3 bed 194's semi with ORP. It's OK, it has a big garden but only one toilet/bathroom. Just before we moved here, we were about to investigate having the garage knocked through and halving the 'through lounge'.

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Thu 17-Jan-13 06:34:09

We live in a 1600sq ft 1960s bungalow that is 10-15 mins drive from the ocean. 3 1/2 bed 3 bath. Largish eat in kitchen and medium living rooms and family rooms. Completely half done unfinished. Love our neighbourhood though, very quiet surburban neighbourhood with everything within walking distance.

dinkyhilly Thu 17-Jan-13 06:42:25

we live in a terreced house in the muddle of a big town we hace 3 small bedroom one bathroom there is 3 children atm and 2 more arriving In 12ish weeks. I would love a bigger house and were looking

kitsmummy Thu 17-Jan-13 06:54:10

We live in a 150 year old house that used to be a pub. It has a river running right in front of it and is all beamed and stone walls inside. It has 3 bedrooms which are all very big and downstairs it has a kitchen breakfast room, utility, cloakroom, big front room, dining room and playroom. There is also a cellar.

We have a lovely big garden backing on to fields; every day I think how much I love it and how lucky I am.

CheerfulYank Thu 17-Jan-13 07:17:23

Mine was built in the '30s.

It has an entryway and then a smallish living and dining room, a teeny kitchen, and a pointlessly large bathroom. Then upstairs there are three bedrooms (2 small, one tiny) and a half bath which we've never used because the toilet doesn't work. This is the year we're going to fix it tho! smile

I wish it were bigger but tbh I'm not a great housekeeper so it's probably just as well! Someday I'd like to renovate the basement into a sort of play area/family room, but it's very damp so I don't know if we can.

MrsBucketxx Thu 17-Jan-13 07:57:09

Angel, I will be moving I'm not anywhere for long (longest place of my own was three years) but we need to wait for three years to qualify for another mortgage, working for ourselves the bank need 3 years accounts.

I'm in Worcester, which seems stupidly expensive for what you get.

The bedrooms annoy me I have two doubles and two tiny ones, its not like the two smaller ones can be knocked together as they are at oposite ends of the house, and the bathroom is tiny, the ensuite feels bigger its crazy.

ILikeBirds Thu 17-Jan-13 09:39:40

We have a 1950s ex-council house, 3 bed. Houses with the same layout are dotted around the country.

Love spacious rooms and solid walls. I like the fact we have a hallway and none of the rooms are 'through' rooms. I love my pantry. Only wish is we had room for a separate shower in the bathroom.

I love my house but not the heating bills smile

It's a four bed 1920s house on the outskirts of the City - lovely big garden, two bathrooms, sitting room, dining room, conservatory & playroom. Kitchen was done up really well by previous owners.

But it's a frickin nightmare keeping it warm atm....

Ilikebirds I agree about the 'through rooms', much more cosy smile. There are a row of houses all the same as mine along our street and I think mine is the only one that hasn't had all the rooms knocked through front to back (discovered by snouting through windows obvously!).

OP just had a nose at your house - doesn't look small at all to me smile

Hullygully Thu 17-Jan-13 09:56:25

Which one?

SomeBear Thu 17-Jan-13 10:12:56

We're renting a 1970s semi - it was a bog standard 3 bed with a hall, lounge/diner and undersized kitchen downstairs but has been extended to the side so now has a bizarre utility room (which is bigger than the kitchen) and an extra bedroom upstairs. There are 5 of us and it's the first time the DCs have had a bedroom each. Unfortunately the original 3rd bedroom is too small to take a regular sized single so we'll be forced to re-think in the next 12 months when DD2 outgrows the short bed. The house we rented prior to this one was a tiny new-build where the girls had to share a room so small they had bunkbeds, 2 chests of drawers and could just about walk between the two.

Every single wall has painted textured wallpaper, the bathroom is genuine 70s avocado and the garage leaks but the rent is just about affordable. I hate the town it's in (don't belong here, it's the middle of nowhere and I've not made a single friend in 3 years) but the schools are good and it's convenient for work.

In an ideal world I'd have an Edwardian townhouse somewhere scenic. Or a large Victorian double fronted house. Ideally, I'd love to be able to see trains from lounge.

Hully OPs house is linked in her first post...

grin

MrsBucketxx Thu 17-Jan-13 10:23:36

Thanks badtaste.

Hullygully Thu 17-Jan-13 10:24:05

I meant which of my homes do you want describing?

MrsBucketxx Thu 17-Jan-13 10:26:15

Lucky you hully ,

Any, both or more?

I knooooooooow Hully. Was just being deliberately thick smile

<bored today, can't make a decent snowman>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now