The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

Toomuchtea Tue 15-Jan-13 13:59:20

I hope the local people manage to sell quickly: on the plus side, at least there is some definite interest. Mr No Show would probably have been a complete pain to deal with had you sold to him. If he was inconsiderate enough to leave someone waiting around and not tell them he wasn't going to turn up at all, then he wouldn't have been particularly easy to deal with as a buyer.

I saw a rental this morning which I really liked, and which takes animals, and which is close to the station, so if our purchase falls through, that will do fine. It's a house which is in very good condition, but was done in the 1970s. Avocado bath! Peach basin! And a shower in a cupboard with an orange shower tray! The only one it doesn't have is aubergine. Obviously much money spent when it was done, as it's all in amazing condition. Not sure the family will view it in quite the way I do, but never mind.

CuddyMum Tue 15-Jan-13 15:07:30

Love the sound of that rented house - awesome! I'm not sure my kids would agree. I do hope the local couple sell quickly because as time goes on the initial interest can start to wane somewhat. I am very impulsive and impatient and it's driving me nuts! I'd pack and move tomorrow if I could!

CuddyMum Tue 15-Jan-13 16:27:29

Am just filling in DD2s application to transfer to Sharnbrook School in September (Year 9) and DD1 said I could fill an in year transfer request for her (I happened to have requested one just in case). Hopefully, they'll be successful. It would have been better if we'd been living in catchment though!

Toomuchtea Tue 15-Jan-13 17:22:06

Yes, I would also pack and move tomorrow if I could. Do feel much, much better now though, as buyers have now discussed completion date, so we will (I do hope) exchange tomorrow, and be out end Feb. If not sooner.

Good news that DD1 is receptive to the idea of a transfer. Can you still get in to Sharnbrook even if you're not in the catchment area?

CuddyMum Tue 15-Jan-13 18:29:59

Well not so receptive now as Head of Year has to approve the form and she doesn't want her to know so only going ahead with DD2's application for now. They do sometimes accept applications from out of area - will have to cross my fingers. We should have applied in October really. Fingers crossed for exchange tomorrow - you can breathe then!

Toomuchtea Wed 16-Jan-13 08:33:59

Cross fingers for your application. When will you hear?

Toomuchtea Wed 16-Jan-13 08:35:00

Is there anyone else out there struggling with selling? It's all gone very quiet out there. If you've just embarked on the tyranny of the perfectly clean house and reliance on the feedback of strangers, welcome.

Toomuchtea Wed 16-Jan-13 15:29:18

We've exchanged, we've exchanged, we've exchanged! At long bloody last. My head is beyond done in. I feel slightly sick with relief.

CuddyMum Wed 16-Jan-13 19:56:29

Well done Toomuchtea!! Yay!!

I think there may just be me struggling to sell!

Toomuchtea Thu 17-Jan-13 08:27:23

Thank you! Well, I'm still here willing you on.

TheregoesBod Thu 17-Jan-13 08:53:03

Hello all,lurker here can I join in for a quick rant.

We are supposed to be exchanging tomorrow, but it all seems so slow and disorganised. The buyers seem fine but my solicitor has no sense of meeting a deadline, doesn't seem bothered. Arghhhhh... Seems to talk down to me like I'm a silly woman which is guaranteed to get me going big time!

Toomuchtea Thu 17-Jan-13 10:36:45

Rant away TheregoesBod. The solicitor (not mine) was one of the things that held us up too. Can your Estate Agent put any pressure on?

TheregoesBod Thu 17-Jan-13 22:20:29

Oh TooMuchTea thank you for your welcome, and yes the Estate agent is trying to push things along but it doesn't seem to be working.

We accepted the offer in November, we were supposed to exchange before Christmas (hollow, and slightly manic laugh). Here we in mid Jan and my solicitor phoned me this morning about a query from the buyers and it wasn't until I asked him directly about exchange tomorrow that he said "well, that's not happening" . Cue stony silence from me. For the love of God I'm trying to be philosophical here but it's hard.

Am I ranting? I'm ranting, so sorry!

Toomuchtea Fri 18-Jan-13 08:50:37

Nothing wrong with ranting. Inching towards exchange is an extraordinarily rantworthy process. We had the query after query after query bit, and actually lost all faith in the buyers as the last queries were ones I'd already answered (and in one case more than once). It seems they were just being hyper-cautious, but we were ready to run for the hills.

Has your solicitor given any idea of when exchange might be? Or what the hold up actually is?

Are you buying somewhere else?

Hello...how are you all getting on?

That is dad's house sold as of today...very bitter sweet emotions as I locked up this morning after taking the final meter reading.

On the one hand I am relieved the burden of responsabilty for an empty property has been lifted.
But on the other hand I am not sure how I will feel when I look up from my garden and see the lights on in the house....but not my parents anymore.

Mum died 5 years ago, dad last year...it has been an emotional task emptying and selling the house...much more so than the funeral.

Anyway...I will continue to watch this thread and keep my fingers crossed for you all to have swift resolutions.

Thanks for all your support and advice.

everlong Fri 18-Jan-13 13:49:33

Oh hello can I join?

Had house up a week so early days.. on paper it should sell quick but I know that's unlikely to happen in this market.

Had one viewer and they are second viewing on Sunday and have 3 more lined up for tomorrow. <<fingers crossed>>

Seen a house we love which is not good is it!?

Toomuchtea Fri 18-Jan-13 16:23:14

Hello Bentneck. That must have been hard, particularly as the house won't be out of sight out of mind. I am glad it's finished now, but I am sorry for the difficult time it's been.

Welcome Everlong. That's a lot of viewers in a very short time. Good luck, and I hope the viewers don't cancel because of the snow (always supposing you've got it!). Is the house you've seen likely to go as fast as yours?

everlong Fri 18-Jan-13 17:29:39

Hiya smile fingers crossed the snow stays away! But all but one of the viewers are local so should be ok..
The house we've seen has been on the market a few months so I'm just hoping it doesn't sell as we are snookered if it does as there's nothing else I like really..

Thank you toomuchtea - your kind wishes were much appreciated. I can avoid walking past the house but every time I open my gate dad's house will be in my line of vision.
I am hoping that because it will be such a regular occurence that the rawness will pass very swiftly.

My son has been hoping for snow for months and I kept telling him we didn't wan snow until grandas house was empty and I didn't have to worry about burst pipes or carrying furniture down an icy path.
Somebody somewhere must have been listening to me because as I locked up yesterday the snow started and hasn't stopped since!

everlong Sat 19-Jan-13 17:17:44

Well had 3 really good viewings. They all said they loved the house, made the right noises etc asked how quick we could move on too.

But I'm trying not to get too excited..

God but the stress of getting the house ready beforehand! Moving litter trays, pet stuff, ironing, homework bags. Stuff shoved in cupboards.. making sure no one has a uses the loo!

How's everyone else doing?

CuddyMum Sat 19-Jan-13 20:36:35

No viewings for us this weekend which wasn't a surprise as we had a fair bit of snow. No proper feedback from last Saturday's viewing which is very annoying! Still hoping for local couple to sell and offer but it may never happen. Have seen a nice rental and bizarrely the house next to it has just come on to the market so I've booked a viewing for next Saturday. Getting frustrated now though. I know what you mean about hiding school bags and animal paraphernalia and of course making sure the loos are flushed/lids down.

Toomuchtea Sun 20-Jan-13 18:18:26

We are covered in snow too - excellent timing for you, Bentneck.

Everlong, yes it is appalling moving stuff. I haven't found it's been any better since we actually sold. I've been turning out the attic, and although I've thrown mounds away, the amount of stuff I still appear to think I need is frightening.

Keeping fingers crossed for you Cuddy. Maybe if people are off work because of the snow, they'll come and view houses? Or not? I don't know.

everlong Sun 20-Jan-13 18:31:54

I agree stuff just appears from nowhere! Had to shove a dog bed from the washing machine in a cupboard today as I didn't want it lying around!

Had a second viewing today.. they brought her mum and dad.. but haven't a clue if they are serious or not. Very poker faced. Nice though.
Got another second viewing on Wednesday with another couple from yesterday ( who were adorable ) really liked them.

Just want an offer. Sick of tidying!

Good luck everyone this coming week smile

CuddyMum Sun 20-Jan-13 19:28:44

Good luck everlong - sounds really positive so far.

I doubt we'll get any viewers - we can't get the cars out of the street and the schools are closed tomorrow - which means hoards of teens traipsing in and out making food and more mess!!

Another house has gone on the market in Sharnbrook so hopefully we will view that too.

everlong Sun 20-Jan-13 21:14:45

Thank you cuddy

Hope that snow melts quickly! And you get some viewers soon enough wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now