Fallen in love with Harvey jones linear kitchen but not the price tag. Anyone seen similar??

(99 Posts)
Staverton Thu 24-Nov-11 10:04:22

We need a new kitchen in our (hopefully) new house. Ive had white high gloss before in a previous house but am a bit worried it's going to start to look dated (sorry I have just offended all white gloss kitchen owners). I quite like shaker kitchens but they are a bit too country kitchen looking for my tastes and wouldnt really suit the house.

I love love love the Harvey jones LINEAR range. It's solidwood but clean lines instead of inset bits and looks sort of like a matt version of high gloss IYSWIM so I love it.

The other one I like is the handleless bulthaup as it's more of a Matt finish without looking melamine-y but that is waaaaayy out of price range

Can anyone help/ seen anything similar?

Pannacotta Wed 22-Feb-12 18:30:53

Thanks, that is helpful.
I have gone to Benchmarx, Wickes and local place so far but no one has come up with a workable design, which is a bit disappointing.
Presume they do a survey before the design? We are an hour away from local showroom so hope they will be ok with that. Will give them a call I think.

How did you get them down from 25% to 40% discount? That is good going!

Staverton Wed 22-Feb-12 19:13:53

No we knew the rough dimensions from the architect. They will come out to measure up but only once you have committed to them. Better than John Lewis of hungerford who wouldn't come
out to measure before placing final order so it is on your head if it's wrong.

Basically I just kept saying hmm we do LOVE it but it's too expensive at the moment, and they kept coming down...
I would do it at least a week before the bed of the sale so you've got time to hold out

It is LUVVERLY!

libelulle Fri 24-Feb-12 14:10:18

Just wanted to say thanks loads Staverton for pointing me in the direction of unpainted kitchens! I've been going round in circles for months about the kitchen for our new extension, knowing what I wanted (pretty much the same as you!) but thinking that I couldn't afford it. I emailed upk last night with my linear-kitchen-copying plans and they got back to me this morning with an eminently reasonable-sounding estimate! Can't wait to go and see their showroom.

Staverton Fri 24-Feb-12 18:47:53

No worries! I went to the workshop rather than the showroom and the guy working there was lovely. They looked solid units as well.
Good luck

lateSeptember1964 Mon 27-Feb-12 13:00:30

This is a really great thread. We recently viewed a house which needed quite a lot of refurbishment and the kitchen needed immediate attention. I have dragged my heals because the thought of leaving my lovely kitchen is heartbreaking. However, having read this thread I feel inspired and a lot clearer about the possibilities. The irony is that my husband is a joiner with a factory and men who could do this for me. I think I need to not let him off so lightly. Im off to call the estate agent to come and value our house. Staverton I love your final choice, so chic.

libelulle Mon 27-Feb-12 17:48:02

Ahh that's great lateSeptember! Go for itsmile

I went to look at Harvey Jones just to get a better idea of what they produce - and I came away wondering not only at the prices (full-price quote for what I wanted came to not far off 30k!!!!!!) but also at how chip-resistant the painted doors would be, esp with small children around. Would they start looking a bit rubbish after a few years of rough use? Or are there special paints for kitchen doors that make them fairly bullet-proof?

DadRobbie Tue 28-Feb-12 15:12:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

annalouiseh Tue 28-Feb-12 22:36:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

NewHouse Wed 29-Feb-12 09:31:52

Usefull thread.

Staverton Wed 29-Feb-12 12:43:54

libelulle - we chose painted wood for exactly that reason - that it could be repainted

weve got a keller kitchen in the house we've been renting and its matt cream doors. its chipped terribly and there is no way of repairing them.

have been away for a bit - why were those last 2 messages deleted??

Pannacotta Wed 29-Feb-12 13:29:10

They were advertising their kitchen business Staverton.

What colour doors did you choose for your kitchen?

I couldnt make it to Harvey JOnes in time for the sale end so am looking at other (cheaper) options.

Did you decide on your woktop in the end?

annalouiseh Wed 29-Feb-12 15:59:29

I wasn't actually advertising my DH business.
the title of the thread is 'anyone seen similar'
the fact he does these is no different than me saying John Lewis does them.

Staverton Wed 29-Feb-12 18:39:37

We havent chosen the colour yet as the extension wont be finished until june (extension happening last)

I think we'll prob go for off white units and brown, matt silestone quartz but are also considering wood.

I read somewhere on here that matt quartz was a nightmare to keep looking clean, any thoughts??

libelulle Wed 29-Feb-12 18:47:51

Staverton, yes that was my husband's point, about the repainting possibilities! Right now I'm flipping and flopping between a Schuller matt lacquer and an (un)painted kitchen - but sorry I do realise you've already made your choice! Perhaps I'll start a kitchen angst thread of my ownsmile

Pannacotta Wed 29-Feb-12 19:24:30

I cant decide on worktop and have never had quartz so I cant help you on that one sorry! Though I think solid worktops aren't always as easy to maintain as you are led to believe - have heard tales of streaky granite etc.

Have only had wooden worktops, which looked great but did require a bit of care, ie mopping up water/spills and oiling. Though perhaps worth it for the lovely warm feel they give.

Have you chosen a sink set-up? That is the thing I cant work out with the worktop. I prefer the undermounted ones but they are no go with wood. We generate lots of washing up so need sth practical on that front...

Tarrant Wed 17-Oct-12 18:57:24

Hi Mistlethrush - just noticed your thread which I realise was a few months ago - but would it be possible to let me know the name of the joiner. I live in the south but happy to travel etc to get the wow kitchen of my dreams. Many thanks.

HidingFromDD Thu 18-Oct-12 06:53:16

hi - just noticed this and also asking Mistlethrush for details. I live in the North as well!

Missdriver Tue 01-Jan-13 22:36:09

Hi Mistlethrush - please can you send me the details of your joiner as well...these guys will be inundated! ;-)

OneSimpleShopper Mon 29-Jul-13 11:29:45

Yep, been stung by the John Lewis of Hungerford kitchen rules too. Lovely kitchen, and they did come to do the design before the deposit was taken. I got just about everything I wanted, and it is a very useful, practical and pretty kitchen. But lots of problems with things being ordered incorrectly and a month later I am still sitting around waiting to hear when they will finish it, hanging around waiting for deliveries and fitters' availability. Exceptionally expensive for such disappointing service!

CKLondon Mon 05-Aug-13 15:31:31

Hi Mistlethrush,

Your joiner sounds to good to be true - but I'm hoping they're for real! Any chance of PMing me the details too please? Appreciate it's been ages since the last posts!

Thanks

myplace13 Wed 02-Oct-13 10:30:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mariamum Sat 01-Feb-14 14:10:11

Has anyone had a problem with Green and Fay kitchens.

Please let me know if you have and if it was resolved?

Thanks

MrsDL Mon 10-Mar-14 08:28:49

Another request for the name of your joiner please please mistlethrush, if you are still around? Sounds very interesting….. Many thanks in advance!
And overall, what a useful thread!

Mariamum, I found this because I was googling Roy Griffith/Green and Fay - how have you got on with them?

bls44 Sun 11-May-14 19:57:42

Hi Mistlethrush, could you let me have your joiner's details too ?

Many thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now