If your child is or did attend(ing) part time for reception

(6 Posts)
Homeymum2 Mon 19-Sep-16 16:31:51

What schedule did/do you follow, how did you approach the school about this? How receptive to this idea was the school?

MrsJervis Mon 19-Sep-16 21:22:34

My DS is very young in the year and was exhausted most of the time in reception. We agreed with his school that we would pick him up after afternoon registration on a Wednesday and take him home for a sleep. It was just enough to recharge his batteries and get him through the second part of the week.

bananafish Mon 19-Sep-16 22:31:25

At DS' school, all the reception children born after Feb are offered, and encouraged, to take up half days until the Spring term. So they leave just after lunch at 12.30 pm each day.

It worked well for us because eldest DS is July born and couldn't cope with full days at the start. His school leant to the other side and are a bit disapproving if you leave your 4 year old there all day, which actually isn't brilliant, because not everyone can arrange half days...

Nodney Mon 19-Sep-16 22:52:51

My DS (5 and now in yr 1) went mornings only until his 5th birthday which was late spring. The school told me they did their phonics in the mornings and more play based activities in the afternoon. They were fine when I requested it although a little surprised as no one else had ever done this at our school.

But it worked well for DS who is shy and struggled with full days

Scottishgymnast Mon 19-Sep-16 22:59:03

I didn't want mine to miss out on playtimes and lunchtimes so did 4 full days. School weren't hugely receptive and tried to discourage with comments such as "no one has ever suggested this before" and "we thinks it's your issue, you'll be surprised for well he (and you) cope". I just stuck to my guns and said that was what I wanted. Interestingly at the end of reception the initially reluctant teacher told me that it has absolutely been the right decision for my DS. You know your child, you just have to be assertive and stick to your guns if school aren't keen. Best thing I ever did.

Purplelooby Mon 19-Sep-16 23:18:28

Following with interest because I'm considering the same although I've not approached the school yet.

My little boy is born late August so was only 4 a few weeks ago and while he is loving school, it is exhausting him. This weekend he could barely function and just as he got better on Monday morning I sent him in again! It doesn't quite feel right.

I'm considering asking for him to do 3 half days 2 full. Not only for rest but also because I believe that at this age, time spent learning life-experiences from parents is crucial.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now