Year 2 Reading

(11 Posts)
Royaldada Mon 12-Sep-16 18:19:42

Should I be surprised that my Year 2 DD has not any reading books sent home with her yet - especially after a full week at school

FourLittleSpeckledFrogs Mon 12-Sep-16 18:22:50

No.

There will be a million reasons why the reading books have not been done yet. She will not become illiterate overnight.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 12-Sep-16 18:23:01

In my experience the answer is no. My kids are in year 2 and Year 5 they only bought reading books home today and that was because we had a welcome to year 2/5 meeting today after school and the kids all wanted to bring their books home the teacher said if it wasn't for that they would have come home Friday.

irvineoneohone Mon 12-Sep-16 18:26:54

Maybe they are still assessing the children's levels?
You can always read books from home/library.

Hulababy Mon 12-Sep-16 18:29:00

I work in Y2 and we haven't sent any home last week. We've been assessing and benchmarking. Children are welcome to take books from the book browser if they wish though. New reading diaries with new targets advent gone home yet either.

Bitlost Mon 12-Sep-16 22:42:31

Last year, my DD didn't bring home a single book which matched her reading level... and she didn't bring any book at all for the first four weeks until I mentioned it to the teacher.

No need to worry yet. Keep an eye on it. And take a look at the Reading Chest online.

louisejxxx Tue 13-Sep-16 06:25:45

My Ds's school appears to have bucked the trend then - they came home on the first day...which I wasn't expecting to be honest!

mrz Tue 13-Sep-16 06:46:58

Our reading books went out on the second day after the teacher had a chance to hear each child in class

Feenie Tue 13-Sep-16 07:06:21

First day - I did have PPA time in the first afternoon though, so it was an ideal time to listen to children and sort books straight away.

Ditsy4 Tue 13-Sep-16 07:46:55

We sent them home with one on the first day too. Yr 3/4 but some will be assessingg after the holidays. We give them the level they were on before the holidays and assess as we go. Every child was heard last week and we adjust as we go if any need it unfortunately not many of our child will have been reading in the hols so not many will need to go up a level. Encouraging reading at home 3 times a week, some wil not bother.😥

irvineoneohone Tue 13-Sep-16 08:21:15

At my ds's school, it's all up to children. Although they do have official level, they can choose to read anything from banded books/school library books/ class room books/ books from home/ books from library. And it's their job to choose/change books.
So my ds never brought home books from school since reception.
They only ask us to read daily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now