Things that make you proud in school reports (that are NOT related to NC levels)

(68 Posts)
Hooliesmoolies Wed 09-Jul-14 16:07:57

Last year I remember a thread which was basically everyone sharing things from school reports that they were proud of, that had nothing to do with NC levels. It just about made me cry with the lovely things everyone was proud of. So, everyone, please share smile.

For me, I was really proud that the teacher said that my DD always had lovely ideas for her writing. I was also really proud that she had moved from virtually being a selective mute with the teachers (for two terms), to choosing to stand up one day in front of the class and talk to the class about her fairies she had brought in. Apparently she didn't say much, but she was happy telling everyone about them nonetheless. grin

SuedeEffectPochette Wed 09-Jul-14 23:35:22

This is a lovely thread. My year 6 son's report started off "The most striking thing about x is his ability to be deliriously happy almost all of the time". It went on to say that he was happy to sit next to and work with any other child in his class and actively welcomed anyone being otherwise "left out". Made me very proud. He is a happy and kind boy.

me55monster Thu 10-Jul-14 14:29:51

My Yr4 DS has, in earlier years of primary, been a PITA for his teachers but this year he's really grown up and settled down and become more considerate of others. He's also worked hard at home on a particular academic skill to try to bring his levels up so I was truly delighted to get a report that said:

"DS is a really lovely, bouncy, exuberant boy with a natural sparkle. He has been a pleasure to work with because he approaches lessons with an enthusiasm and interest that is lovely to see."

"He is always exceptionally polite when dealing with adults."

"I know that he has been massively supported at home and everyone's efforts, not least DS's, have clearly paid off in his excellent optional SAT result."

The report wasn't all glowing, his teacher clearly "got" him warts and all but this is the 1st report I've had that's been so positive and to me that's been so special.

Thanks OP for this thread - I've been dying to tell someone grin

Muskey Thu 10-Jul-14 14:42:07

The best opening line of dd report was "writing mini muskeys report is quite an easy task. It is not often that you get the opportunity to be so positive in expressing so many qualities about one person. My only concern is whether or not there is enough space". A truly wonderful comment from a most inspiring teacher.

Mutley77 Thu 10-Jul-14 15:26:58

"so pleased he joined our class" (sounded genuine when backed up by why - not just a random impersonal statement).

"has a wide circle of friends due to her bubbly, friendly nature".

OwlCapone Thu 10-Jul-14 15:34:27

The very first line of DS2s very first school report was "DS is a big hearted individual"

simpson Thu 10-Jul-14 15:48:40

"DD's kind, placid & thoughtful nature makes her popular with her classmates."

(Pity she is not like this at home! grin)

Also liked that the HT wrote her comment for DD rather than aiming it at me iyswim.

oddgirl Thu 10-Jul-14 16:11:58

When my DD daughter teacher described her as "enigmatic"...I thought I that was just brilliant....

Tiggles Thu 10-Jul-14 16:19:24

My proudest part of all my DCs reports was for my son with ASD along lines of 'a good team leader, who cares sensitively for all its members'. I also liked the honesty of 'he can distract the class by giggling uncontrollably and should choose carefully who he sits by next year'.

Got my dc's reports this afternoon. DS is ' a born explorer' and 'Such a dependable, loving and excitable little boy'. We are relocating for September, so the Head put a farewell comment for both dc and on dd's report she wished her luck in her new school and said 'Just carry on being your amazing self!' Awww.

Quejica Thu 10-Jul-14 16:43:02

My son (15) 'has a charming politeness' and is 'good fun to teach'

Very proud Mum here!

OldBeanbagz Thu 10-Jul-14 17:45:12

My Y4 DS is described as 'a lovely, polite and well mannered boy who shows commitment and determination'

But the bit i'm most proud of is that he's a 'very competent mathematician who is working well above his year group!'

Quejica Thu 10-Jul-14 18:33:58

OldBeanbagz, I think the whole point of this thread was to avoid the topic of academic achievement!

Not exactly in her report but one of dd's teachers wrote a card to me in the post to commend dd on her modesty and generosity to others. I was really proud that she was impressed enough to send a card in the post.

MajesticWhine Thu 10-Jul-14 18:43:06

DD3 has "beautiful manners". I am astounded.

youbethemummylion Thu 10-Jul-14 18:43:26

"DS1 has a lovely circle of friends but is not afraid to go against the crowd if needed"

insanityscratching Thu 10-Jul-14 18:44:23

Well dd's teacher wrote that she felt she deserved a medal after having dd in her class for two years (she is actually a joy to have in class)..........it made me smile because when I read it to dd she laughed as her teacher would have known she would because it illustrated the progress dd has made in understanding humour and teasing.

Bizzare as that is insanity, it's lovely. smile

houseisfallingdown Thu 10-Jul-14 18:49:41

DS in nursery- "Minihouseisfallingdown has been a character that we will not forget in a long while"...is that reason to be proud hmm blush...I think his reception teacher this year agrees...

Hulababy Thu 10-Jul-14 18:54:33

DD has just had her first secondary school report, for Y7, so it is far more about academic achievements than before.

And all that side if great, but also in every single subject, plus her form teacher and her HT comments, - they all say that she is friendly, hardworking, has good attitude to school life and is a valuable member of her class/group. A please to teach is in several.

It is far more important to me as a parent is that she is a happy, friendly, likeable girl who can be trusted and relied upon than any comment on her exam grades.

insanityscratching Thu 10-Jul-14 19:00:42

It has been a work in progress for dd. When she initially went into that class she found the teacher's humour difficult. In the last six months it has clicked and her teacher rejoices in the fact she now teases her back because she was at one point too timid to say boo to a goose.

Popsicle7 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:54:16

My boy who has just turned 4 and finishing up nursery had '...is a happy friendly and very polite little boy who is very kind and caring towards his classmates' smile best comment smile

Galena Fri 11-Jul-14 16:47:44

Oh, oh, oh... which to choose?

'Minigalena is a friendly, happy pupil with a positive attitude towards school and her work. She is enthusiastic about her learning and she loves a challenge where she can further her knowledge independently. Her behaviour is fantastic and she listens carefully to instructions. She has been a wonderful pupil to teach this year and I am certain she will continue to make fantastic progress next year. '

so proud grin

DD1 had a rough start to her education and may as well have totally skipped reception with the progress made, we changed school for yr 1 and have just had her 1st report, I may well have cried at the teacher because she wrote:

'X should be very proud of her achievements this year, we certainly are. I have had the privilidge of watching X grow in confidence and helping undo the upset of last year. Next year she will fly!'

Needadvice94 Fri 11-Jul-14 19:37:42

Many lovely things on DS 9 report but my favourite if slightly odd comment is "DS is a fantastic boy who has many fingers in many pies!'

crypticbow08 Sun 13-Jul-14 01:21:11

What a fab thread away from the humdrum of levels!

'X always tries his best with anything that is asked of him'

'X is always polite and well behaved, even with his cheeky side'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now