Appealing on faith grounds - any experience?

(9 Posts)
ElphabaFlies Mon 12-May-14 22:24:54

Bit specific, but wondering if anyone can help.

My DS currently attends a nursery class at a CoE primary school. We applied for a reception place and he didn't get one. We live in the parish for this school but worship at another CoE church.

They prioritise in the order: SEN&LAC / children attending the linked church with a sibling / all other siblings / children living in parish and atttending another CoE church / out of parish attending another CoE church and so on.

We're appealing on faith grounds - the school we've been given isn't a faith school, but anything particular we need to focus on? I sway from feeling vaguely confident to utterly despondent at the moment!

Thanks in advance.

doodledotmum Mon 12-May-14 22:44:15

Was there any reason you didn't just attend the linked church? The problem with our CofE school is that it's so over subscribed that the other churches listed don't count for much at reception entry. Several people I know changed the church they attended to ensure they didnt get penalised. You may need to explain why?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 12-May-14 22:49:04

Is this an infant class size appeal ie are there 30 children per class?

titchy Mon 12-May-14 22:50:47

Assuming it is an infant class size appeal and you we're put in the correct category you won't win. Wanting a religious school is not enough, even if not ICS.

tiggytape Mon 12-May-14 23:09:10

Is it the case that you are 'out of parish attending another CoE church' but the school was filled by people in parish or attending the linked church?

If so, and if class sizes are 30, this is unlikely to be a successful appeal since little short of an admissions error will win a place.

However, if it is a small school with less than 30 per class, you can win at appeal by showing that your child needs or would benefit from a place. Simply wanting a CofE school above any other though is not enough. Not all faith schools offer extra things in terms of faith - some aren't overtly very religious at all. You would need to explain why only this school in particular meets your son's needs or would be beneficial for him to attend (or disadvantage him not to attend).
The school will argue that they are too full to take more pupils and the will panel weigh up which case is stronger. Unless there are other family circumstances or special reasons therefore, wanting a faith school alone will not usually be enough to overcome the school's argument that they cannot take more and cannot take everyone who prefers a faith to a non faith school.

tiggytape Mon 12-May-14 23:11:54

Sorry - I see you are actually in parish and attend church
In that case, do you suspect an error? Did any out of parish people get a place for example? Do you think you were placed in the right category?

Assuming it isn't an error (and siblings and linked church people simply took all available places) the other advice about appeals generally would be the same.

ElphabaFlies Mon 12-May-14 23:11:56

Yes, ICS.

We didn't switch churches because, well, we felt it was immoral and we are heavily involved in our church anyway.

Thanks for honesty. All feels pretty ridiculous tbh!

ElphabaFlies Mon 12-May-14 23:16:56

tiggy, no - we're in parish but attending another coe church. Folk living out of of parish who go to the right church take a lot of places whereas we can't get one living in parish because we go to the wrong one.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 12-May-14 23:20:23

Elphaba, I can understand why you preferred to stay with your church but the appeals panel have to apply the criteria as they exist unless they break guidelines, which these don't.

Are you on the waiting list for other faith schools you would prefer to your allocation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now