DH not allowed to read Tintin books

(39 Posts)

At school as other children at be jealous.

FFS he hates reading (typical boy) and other than taking the sports section of the newspaper in only wants to read Tintin.

I know kids are supposed to do as they are told but forcing him turns him off even more and finally thought I had cracked it.

They are third hand after being tread by uncle and father so about 40 years old so not a sparkly new box set or anything.

Was going to try Asterix next but apparently that out of the question too!!

If we're talking dodgy issues then look to Biggles. I bet they would be allowed

Llareggub Fri 07-Feb-14 20:41:49

This is very bizarre.

My youngest DS is in reception and is point blank refusing to learn to read. School have cracked it by making a book out of his favourite cartoon characters and tricking him into liking it. Is your school very traditional?

columngollum Fri 07-Feb-14 20:45:35

I think some Tintin are worse than others. There are a couple of books about savages which have themes no longer seen as acceptable. But they're not all like that.

josuk Fri 07-Feb-14 20:49:55

Agree with all of the comments above. Ridiculous! Reading comics is reading too.

Also wanted to ask - have you tried Captain Underpants? While it's not 'serious' or 'a classic' - it does get reluctant boy readers to read often. Have seen it with kid after kid.

Even girls like it - mine went through a phase when she found it really funny - all while reading R.Dahl and M.Morpurgo at the same time.

mistlethrush Fri 07-Feb-14 20:50:00

Tintin has a few things that wouldn't be written now - but DS loves them.. and Asterix. We never seem to have any problem when we write them down in his reading record... We don't put the Beano down as well (although if we did we would be half way through the next reading record book...)

frugalfuzzpig Fri 07-Feb-14 20:56:49

Ooh tell you one thing that he might like - has he seen the film Hugo? The book it's based on, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is mostly pictures, I enjoyed it. By Brian Selznick.

Not that I'm agreeing with the teacher, mind!

Ask the teacher exactly WHY he's not allowed graphic novels. I'd be interested to see what they come up with...

frugalfuzzpig Fri 07-Feb-14 20:57:49

(I mean a reason other than "because the others will be jealous" - as surely the answer to that would be to let everyone read them!)

I think it's because it's cartoon format and the others will want to read cartoon format books.

We have a fantastic village library and one in nearest town where you can order any books so no reason why anyone needs to be jealous about people reading/having certain books.

This is just another thing which is pissing me off about this teacher and think I'll have to and DH to parents evening on his own next month as may sit there sobbing or screaming at him (have PND), poor did will scare pants off him.

PollyPutTheKettle Fri 07-Feb-14 21:49:25

Is this teacher inexperienced?

It seems a very odd thing to say otherwise. I would speak to the teacher again to give them the opportunity to see sense. It can be a gentle conversation along the lines of you doing anything to get your DS interested in reading.

If that doesn't work then I would speak to the head.

lljkk Sat 08-Feb-14 09:35:56

Where does Wimpy Kid diary fall? Although the material is a bit "mature" for him.

He hates Beast Quest, has read a couple of Wimpy Kids, tried Astrosaurs, Biggles, Enid Blyton and Flat Stanley as well as Horrid Henry but Tintin are what he loves and actually picks up without being nagged.

We have the dodgy ones (the really bad ones) and have taken them away and he understands the rights and wrongs of the prejudices in them as we spoke about them when watching the cartoon adaptations.

Yes the teacher is a young man who seems to be about weak. Apparently the top popular cleverest (full of himself) little darling in the class actually makes comments out loud or suggests things and this teacher falls in with what he is saying.

I think this year I am going to end up being 'one of those mums!'

LucyBorgia Sat 08-Feb-14 10:04:04

Ah look most of us who are voracious readers got nothing but those godawful readers at school and grabbed everything else within sight at home and in the library. So encourage him with what he is interested in at home. It's a much nicer place to develop a love of reading than sandwiched in between all the distractions in the classroom. While I adored Enid and all the rest I would much rather be a child today the quality of children's books is fantastic.

mrz Sat 08-Feb-14 14:01:56

Why on earth would a teacher stop a child reading confused

pointythings Sat 08-Feb-14 15:39:34

There you go, OP. mrz has spoken and that is the last word - your DS's teacher is wrong, and you now have leave to go and be 'that' parent. grin

FWIW I also think he is wrong. You've addressed the unpalatable material in the books with your DS - that's your job done, now he should be allowed to read them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now