How to not be 'that' parent?

(34 Posts)
TallyGrenshall Tue 14-Jan-14 10:26:37

I need help with approaching DS' teacher about his reading books.

He will be 5 next month and is on red band books (has been since October) His teacher said at his prents evening in November that he is well ahead of his class and that she was really limited with what she can do with him because she has to focus on basic phonics etc.

Which is fine and understandable BUT DS is still on red band books and they are far too easy for him. He brings them home, reads them in 2 minutes, we have a little talk about the story, characters feelings etc to check his understanding (no problems) and then thats it. There is no challenge in the books at all for him. His teacher has noted that his expression/emphasis is also good.

DS has lots of books of his own and reads every night so it's not really a massive problem but I think he should maybe be moved up another band. I don't know how to put it best so I don't look like a reading loon

TallyGrenshall Tue 14-Jan-14 16:15:42

The teacher wasn't there this afternoon so I'll fight my way to her in the morning, before she gets cornered by the person that has probably already taken the mantle of 'that parent' for this year

I am 'that parent' but in a subtle way (I hope!). I noticed this year that there were no comments in DD1's reading diary. I asked why this is - last year we had comments that would help me help DD - read with more expression, careful with this and that etc. What I was really getting at was that DD1 had been on the same book level for ages. The literature from school said that they should be able to read 95 per cent of the book, which she definitely was. So I mentioned the lack of comments on a Monday morning and got a plausible explanation. That week, DD1 got 5 reading books, and went up a level, which she eventually zipped through (while maintaining excellent comprehension skills I should add!).

I'm not at least 'that horrifically rude parent'. There's one in my DD's class. He berated a teacher one morning as he hadn't been informed that the regular teacher was off sick (with D&V!) and how did he know how competent she was. And another time he objected that his precious dc was having their reading heard by "Great Aunt Nellie" (i.e. a volunteer) on occasion.

OpalQuartz Wed 15-Jan-14 12:14:00

I think it's fine to raise issues with teachers as long as it is done in a reasonable, polite way and as long as it is not excessive. There is a mum in my dd's class who is forever berating the teacher and head every time her rather naughty 10 year old gets into trouble over something, as she believes said 10 year old can do no wrong and it must be the teacher's fault. That is a world away from politely asking about reading levels

2014newme Wed 15-Jan-14 12:19:21

No, I would insist on a more challenging book

pointythings Wed 15-Jan-14 14:39:56

If raising things politely with the teacher is being 'that' parent, then I am 'that' parent. A good school won't need you to do more than that, there is no excuse for not differentiating.

When my DDs were in Reception there most certainly was differentiation, and the one time it looked like going a bit wrong I took a book DD2 had read fluently at first sight at home that night in with me and asked the teacher what she thought - she was reassessed the following day and put up several levels at once because her reading had just made a leap. Teacher was happy to be told because she had 30 children to deal with and DD was not due reassessment for a while. It's all about being polite and wanting to help.

TallyGrenshall Fri 17-Jan-14 22:18:51

Thank you everyone.

I put a note in his reading diary because his teacher was sick for a couple of days. He's been moved to green band now (and given a blue band one as well because he really wanted to read it) and she has said that he can change his book more than twice a week if he wants to smile

ipadquietly Fri 17-Jan-14 22:44:01

Personally, with 20 years experience, I don't think it matters a jot what they read in YR. If they're reading - buy or borrow books; if they're not - practise phonics and read daily.
Just read, read, read - anything - road signs, newspaper headlines; game instructions - anything! Make them realise that reading is USEFUL!

Reading should be FUN!

SlightlyTerrified Sat 18-Jan-14 07:53:02

Absolutely but it is not fun reading two words on a page if you could enjoy . Harry Potter. The school should also ensure reading is fun otherwise children will associate school reading with being boring and could be reluctant.

Onesiegoddess Sat 18-Jan-14 08:48:42

It's easily remedied. Look on line for reading owls. They have a huge range off biff chip books at various levels. You can read online

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now