Help me choose school

(29 Posts)
nataly13 Tue 17-Dec-13 22:24:31

Can you please help me to decide which school should i choose?
School number1: Very close to our house, outstanding, good results in KS2 (but not great), with after school clubs, new building, swimming pool but used to have pupils from council flats and a not so good reputation which is changing. It takes 60 every year and it has good ratio teacher:pupil

school number 2: a mile from us, CoE who takes other christian and a few community places, Ofsted is good but KS2 results Great, white middle class pupils, in a better area, no after school clubs and only takes 30 pupils and doesn't have a very good ratio teacher:pupil.

We recently moved here so not really sure where the other kids in the neighborhood go but according to Rightmove they go to school number 2 and another school which i didn't like (at least for the previous years because catchment areas now is significantly smaller).

I want my son to go to a school that will challenge him if he is very bright and will support him if he needs extra help. We are other white background that value a lot education.

any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

mousmous Wed 18-Dec-13 15:26:01

op sorry you are getting a tough time.
the school system in england is bloody confusing, even more so if you come from a different system/country.

I agree with previous posters, look at the school and the ofsted report, talk to other parents if possible and teachers.
ime, you will not really have a choice as such, the lea will assign the places by their criteria no matter which boxes you tick.

LIZS Wed 18-Dec-13 16:07:33

Can't you tell where neighbours' children go from their uniform ? If you've listened to hearsay it is probably self evident, people willed defend their "choice" or may be "allocated choice" and run alternatives down That may not be based on fact at all. What do the nursery say about the option s?

The previous flat I was living was a council flat and the landlord was a very nice family Not a council flat then , but privately owned.

nataly13 Thu 19-Dec-13 10:24:33

thank you all very much for your advises.

I have almost decided to choose school number 1 until I read teacher's comment so I will speak with the nursery to see what they think but because it is close to my work place they won't know the schools.

So so stressful!

Danann Thu 19-Dec-13 12:38:31

Most schools ime have some children from council houses/flats (including at DD's private school as some grandparents pay school fees) so I wouldn't worry about that part.

Both sound like good schools to me, 0.3 miles instead of a mile would probably be a bonus if you are walking in the winter and it does sound like school 1 is very good at supporting kids who start off a bit behind, which depending on how good your DC's english is might be worth considering (just thinking that english grammar and spelling are pretty hard anyway and must be even harder if its a second language).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now