Going back down on reading levels

(79 Posts)
pointsmakeprizes Tue 05-Nov-13 13:13:21

DS is in Y1, just started stage 7 books, he finds these very easy and is able to read stage 8 and 9 books from the oxford owl website fluently and when asked questions seems to understand what is going on. I did mention this to the teacher who was adamant that he would not be moved up so that he could work on his comprehension. I was ok with this though I feel he is capable of more but trust the teacher on this. He is in the top set for reading, they all read the same book at school which is then sent home and then one unseen book every week for reading at home. This week he was sent home a stage 4 fireflies book and for the next three weeks will be getting only stage 4/5 fireflies book (the books are already listed in his reading diary). It is the same for all of the top group, one of children was already a free reader when starting reception yet is still only been given these books. Should I say something again or leave it, even though he is in the top set for reading, from his descriptions of what the abilities are, the children seem to vary considerably with some struggling to read some of the words and others reading them with ease. There are about 5/6 in this set. I am not happy with this set up as I don't think it is an accurate reflection of the abilities and I do feel annoyed that he is now going backwards. I have always felt from reception that his reading books have been too easy but I have let it go because I want to trust the teacher but I don't understand how he could be moved back 3 levels when I think the level he is on is already far too easy for him.

Snowbility Thu 21-Nov-13 22:49:11

I think it's clear that book changing is very time consuming activity and a bit dull and questioning your dc's level suggests the teacher has failed to pay attention to your dc's progress - teachers don't like to lose face to parents, so you are going to get a bullshit response, the teacher has to defend their professional judgement, they will have a long list of excuses for parents who question their child's lack of progress in the reading scheme while reading advanced books at home. Just have faith in your dc, don't be tempted to stretch with reading, if it gets too hard it stops being a pleasure and you want it to be a pleasure....which usually means you need to forget school reading books.

simpson Fri 22-Nov-13 00:02:58

Oh dear.

I have had the same thing said about DD (yr1) although her writing is v good it's not as strong as her reading.

Her teacher basically says that a child needs to be able to do a reading SATS test independently in order to get a certain level (NC wise). Therefore her writing is bringing her reading down too.

I would question comprehension from a stage 7 book too (since this is what DD reads in guided reading).

I guess all you can do is take positives out of it (parents eve) the teacher has acknowledged he reads higher, he is now working on yr2 skills comprehension wise. It might be worth asking how they are going to bridge the gap between reading/writing. I know DD's writing is being pushed massively to do this.

lljkk Sat 23-Nov-13 18:18:02

My gut feeling about complicated OP is that if I didn't like my y1 child's reading books I would
a) go to public library for reading books
b) find fun things to read in other types of books
c) we can easily choose what books we like for DC (go in & change books ourselves). I guess this isn't possible for OP?

pointsmakeprizes Sun 24-Nov-13 09:43:07

lljkk - we are book lovers in the family, my DS prob has over 200 books at home and also regularly gets books out of the library so there is no shortage of reading material for him. I just really wanted to see why there seemed to be such a gap in what he is doing at home and what he is doing at school. I now know that it's the writing, I don't agree with it but it's something I will help him with so I'm glad I questioned it. A love of books is probably down to the parent to foster, great when the parent also loves books and has the time to really take an active interest in the child's learning. Not so great if you are a busy parent who has to leave that responsibility to the teacher. As DS spends the majority of his waking hours at school, I would like to think that he is being suitably challenged in all areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now