Unauthorised absence and removal of child from school roll

(109 Posts)
wickedfairy Sat 12-Oct-13 16:34:33

We have a family event (Wedding) on the other side of the world and have been refused authorisation to remove the children from school. We have asked for 16 days, which I know is a lot but we have to fly our family so far away, that we cannot make it a short trip. Basically, the children would be off school for one month, with half term in the middle (hence the 16 days).

It costs so much to go there, that we thought it could be a trip of a lifetime and we would be making sure the children would benefit from the trip – experiencing local culture and visiting historical places during the trip. I have proposed that the record the trip and what they do in a diary to share once back at school and also that we would happily take schoolwork away so that the children would not fall behind. One child is in Yr2, the other is younger – wedding is near the beginning of the year, not SATS time.

The standard letter we were sent says that we will most likely be fined, which we would accept. The very worrying thing is that it also says that the children could have their names removed from the school roll and lose their places. They both have excellent attendance (96%). Can they really do this? I am so worried and the flights are already booked….. I will request a meeting with the head teacher, but I am not sure she will accept/it will make no difference.

Any advice please? I am totally stressing that we will get back and the children will have lost their school places. They have never missed school before....

tiggytape Tue 15-Oct-13 09:26:06

My post was responding to nennypops who said not to worry about losing your place because you can always go to judicial review and get it back again - as if this was something you could do really easily and wasn't an enormously big deal.

I am glad you have got the meeting with the Head and hopefully it will be resolved.

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Tue 15-Oct-13 11:12:01

Even two days off can be an issue to be honest, if a child misses the start of a topic then they will not know the stuff they need to do the later work and will have to have 1:1 to do the work when they come back. Children will be ill but other absence can, and should be avoided in my opinion but it's your choice as they are your children! If the risk of losing a place is acceptable then go, if it's not don't. I doubt many heads would do it though.

RVPisnomore Tue 15-Oct-13 17:47:48

Sorry but you should've have booked the flights until you had approval, furthermore I think that a month away for a wedding is excessive.

DumDum32 Tue 15-Oct-13 18:30:20

oh blush thanks for that info tiggytape in that case I can understand y the school would object as 3 weeks is missing quite a bit of school but the again it's not like they are doing a degree smile BUT I would not want my kidsto loose a place. as I said write one more time to HT & then make ur mind up.

makemineaginandtonic Tue 15-Oct-13 19:53:27

There are new rules now which state that Headteachers are NOT permitted to authorise holiday leave during school time. I heard this at a governor's meeting last week.

lborolass Tue 15-Oct-13 20:14:29

Slightly off topic but makemineaginandtonic - if you're a governor and you only just found this out last week I'd be asking some serious questions about communication in your school and if you're a parent governor I'd be very worried. Most schools informed parents about the changes months ago.

MerylStrop Tue 15-Oct-13 20:34:04

It doesn't really matter whether the trip is "educational" or not. (sorry but pmsl at indigenous flora and fauna) It is the missing of school that matters. 16 days off is @8% of the school year, taking you to 92% even before possible days off for sickness. How could any head teacher possibly authorise that under current rules?

I think you have to shorten the trip and budget for a fine. At least you know you will keep your school places.

The other issue though is that people taking their kids out for weeks on end affects the whole school attendance averages that means other children are more likely to be refused the odd day for funerals etc. All a ridiculous mess caused by draconian school inspections and targets.

keepsmiling12345 Tue 15-Oct-13 21:29:14

And caused by parents taking the piss and suggesting they really really need to take their DC's out of school for 16 days for a wedding!

lljkk Netherlands Wed 16-Oct-13 21:23:03

What the Fig do you all do to get over Jetlag in 36 hours? shock
Please give me your magic potion or formula?
I have only ever met one person in real life who can do it (my dad). We all think it's extremely strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now