Books - learning to read

(10 Posts)
MangoTiramisu Tue 10-Sep-13 06:13:48

My son is just learning to read. He was 4 a couple of months ago and he has just started school. We have started to teach him to read and he is enjoying it. However, I feel the books I have are inappropriate. I have some phonics books and I have some Oxford Reading Tree, but they seem a little advanced. He has started to decode and when we read he can read he can decode very simple words such as b-e, be and things like i-s, i-t and knows a few sight words e.g. the. Since he is doing well at decoding (but doesn't know all his phonics yet) I am wondering if some decoding books would be better for him.

Anyway, what books do you recommend for very early readers. I feel that we read enough books TO him and now need to get him more involved.

Euphemia France Tue 10-Sep-13 07:20:17

What is the school giving him to read?

Julia Donaldson's Songbirds are good - that link is to a very good deal on them.

Be careful you're not confusing him with letter names and phonics at the moment: if you're encouraging him to decode "be" as /b/ and /ee/ is that because you've taught him the letter name "e"? His teacher won't be teaching "tricky" words like that yet.

Shanghaidiva Tue 10-Sep-13 07:43:24

Agree - songbirds are good. I also used jolly phonics with my kids. You can also involve your son in story telling by asking him to 'read' you the story ie he looks at the pictures and tells you what is happening.

Dreamingofcakeallnight Tue 10-Sep-13 08:01:30

I'd recommend the reading chest. Google it - has been fab for us.

MangoTiramisu Tue 10-Sep-13 08:16:17

Great, thanks. Actually not sure why I used the word b-e as I am trying to keep to simple phonetic letters as he is being taught Jolly Phonics at school. I did use b-e last night and nowI can see that I need to avoid that. I don't have the Jolly Phonics books, just the colouring pages and CD. I'll check it all out - thx.

Dreamingofcakeallnight Tue 10-Sep-13 08:40:29

Download reception tricky words. These are some that don't fit the pattern. Stick to books that are fully decodable.

MangoTiramisu Tue 10-Sep-13 08:46:18

I just ordered 3 of the Songbird books Stage 1 with 11 stories and 2 x stage 2 with 6 stories in each. They look great, thanks so much. I don't live in the UK, struggle with finding bookshops and have to order online. Shame I can't use The Reading Chest Shanhaidiva.

simpson England Tue 10-Sep-13 10:06:53

Look at the Oxford owl website, it has loads of free ebooks to read.

Periwinkle007 Tue 10-Sep-13 11:07:22

songbirds are good, Usborne do some purely phonics ones too and there are also Ruth Miskin Superphonics books.

and yes Oxford Owl is a very good free resource available internationally

MangoTiramisu Tue 10-Sep-13 12:08:11

I've been very busy all afternoon looking at all your suggestions and ordering books. You guys are all so great and I am very, very grateful.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now