twins still not get a place i wont find out untill June????

(11 Posts)
StinkyElfCheese Fri 26-Apr-13 10:58:09

Just had a letter from the council saying they will not be able to confirm a place at any school until June??? although they are adding twins to waiting lists for our preferred school. When I went into the addmissions office for the council I was told that the couldn't gaurentee the twins even at the same school sad so I would have 3 at 3 schools? most start at 9 how the hell would I manage that??

When can I find out where they are on the waiting lists?? (reception class) and will I really have till wait until june to find out where they have placed them?

christinarossetti Fri 26-Apr-13 11:01:02

I'd have thought that by early to mid May, once acceptances and rejections are back, you should have an idea of where they are on waiting lists.

StinkyElfCheese Fri 26-Apr-13 11:02:11

sorry for the spelling mistakes - I am freaking out

what about uniforms and stuff they will need ?? DD is moving into juniors so I will have 3 lots of uniform to buy for and no idea what colours to get

littleducks Fri 26-Apr-13 11:02:23

I think you should ask to be put down on all the waiting lists, not just that of your preferred school. Once one is in you could appeal and try to get the other a place maybe?

StinkyElfCheese Fri 26-Apr-13 11:02:50

Thanks will the school know? or will it be a case of asking the council again?

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Fri 26-Apr-13 11:19:36

Oh dear. I saw your last thread and it must be tough. But try not to panic about uniforms. It's April, if you find out in June then that is still nearly three months before they start. It'd be daft to buy uniform now because they grow so much and so unpredictably at this age anyway.

tiggytape Fri 26-Apr-13 11:59:09

Stinky - I know it may not seem so, but this may be a good sign. It may mean they are opening bulge classes (which take longer to organise than waiting lists) and you may be in line to get places at one of your prefered schools afterall. Certainly a lot of people allocated late places last year benefitted from bulge classes being opened and got a local school despite initial worries that they may not. I know this doesn't help with the immediate stress but it is worth enquiring about.

I guess the LA are trying to buy themselves some breathing space by telling you to wait until June but I would still keep ringing nagging them weekly and asking what the position is, what the plans are, how the lists are moving etc.

Bramshott Fri 26-Apr-13 12:58:11

Try not to panic. It's not a good idea to buy uniform until at least July anyway, because they grow.

I read your original thread too. Is there no way you can cast your mind back (go back through your diary etc) to what you did with the original forms and when? If you are missing the DTs birth certificates too, the likelihood is that you DID complete and return the original forms.

tiggytape Fri 26-Apr-13 13:09:01

Bramshott is right - sorry I had forgotten you are a late application. June is not an unusual date for late applicants to hear and it may still mean you get into a bulge class.

Unfortunately even if you could prove you sent the forms, unless you could also prove they were receieved, this wouldn't help. The LA say they don't have them and you cannot prove they do unless you handed them in and got a receipt or posted them with tracking. Letters do get lost in the post and the LA would have no way of knowing where they are if you sent them and they never arrived (which isn't your fault but isn't the LA's fault either).

July is a good time to buy uniforms and a lot of people hedge their bets beyond July as well (people hoping for a waiting list place sometimes get offers in August and September so buy the bare minimum until they are sure)

tiggytape Fri 26-Apr-13 13:10:06

Another thought - have the LA confirmed your twins are on the waiting list in the correct positions now? The LA have to add them to the lists in admission order not in date order so they should be high up the list for at least your nearest schools hopefully.

fatfloosie Fri 26-Apr-13 13:12:15

Try not to worry about the uniform at least. I didn't buy DD's uniform until August (after we'd lost an appeal that was deferred until end July) and the only thing I struggled to find was PE shorts in the right size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now