Reception Class Appeal

(32 Posts)
Banana1982 Thu 25-Apr-13 12:47:25

We recently found out that our daughter did not get into any of our first choice schools. Our first choice school and the school we are thinking of appealing to, will be changing to an academy for September intake. The admissions for reception was 50 children. When we heard from the school that they had automatically transferred 30 children from the nursery to the reception. When we heard this we where very shocked and seems at odds with the admission code. Can anyone offer some advice if they think this is good grounds to appeal?

Banana1982 Fri 26-Apr-13 15:20:22

PanelChair - some days I believe we have a good case, others I don't. I suppose I just need to get together as much information as possible and present it in the best possible way.

prh47bridge Fri 26-Apr-13 16:32:56

Tiggy - They can't do the whole thing again as that would involve taking away offers to people who have already got them. If there are lots of appeals it puts the appeal panel in a difficult position.

Banana1982 - I am also happy to take a look if you would like to PM me the details.

PanelChair Fri 26-Apr-13 17:28:53

Argh. MN lost my post which said that offers already made can't be retracted, and if there are lots of appeals, the panel may have to decide how many more the school can admit and prioritise accordingly. As prh47bridge says, it could become very tricky.

tiggytape Fri 26-Apr-13 17:49:12

I see - that makes sense Panel and prh.
It just seems very unfair if the school have totally ignored published admission criteria not to have any form of redress for those that lose out (assuming lots of other parents will feel similarly disadvantaged - they can't let them all in at appeal).

Would the admission authority be penalised in any way for doing this - assuming it is discovered that they have simply admitted the children they wanted and not the children who met the agreed criteria?

In Banana's case the authority would have done this (if this proves to be the case) presumably to be 'nice' and help children in the nursery have continuity but other schools could do the same thing - admit chosen children - with less generous motives (like selecting children from certain areas above others). I guess I am saying it might leave the door open to discrimination if there is no challenge other than parental appeals which cannot successfully remedy the situation due to the number potentially affected.

prh47bridge Fri 26-Apr-13 17:53:41

Ultimately an academy that ignores the Admissions Code can have its funding withdrawn. That would, of course, be the final sanction if all else failed.

prh47bridge Fri 26-Apr-13 17:57:41

Pressed Post too soon! Before it gets that far the Secretary of State can direct them to comply with the Code.

Banana1982 Sat 27-Apr-13 08:44:14

prh47bridge, I have PMd you and Admission, Thanks for you assistance everybody.

From what I can understand, if there was lots of appeals that where successful, they would only admit the strongest cases. Up to the limit of what they believe the school could admit with Prejudice to the existing pupils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now