ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
In year admissions, infant class size(9 Posts)
The answer as usual is going to be complicated. There is no legal requirement for the school or the LA to hold a waiting list for the school but most do as it is sensible. It is currently for the LA to allocate in-year places as they become available. From your OP it would appear that the LA is holding a waiting list for schools and therefore I would say that you should ensure that you confirm with the LA that you do need to stay on the waiting list for next term.
The complication is that from September the process changes and there is no requirement for LAs to co-ordinate in-year applications. They are however required to say how in-year applications will work. Most LAs seem to be handing the problem back to schools to handle but you need to establish from the LA concerned exactly how they are going to operate the scheme. I suspect that the school will hold the waiting lists and decide who is getting the place and then tell the LA, who will do the paperwork but who knows. This might be important because there is a chance that people will move over the summer holiday and so places could become available immediately in September. You need to have your info in place before the summer hols to ensure that you are considered.
Depends on the school/LEA policy on how long waiting lists are held.
Thank you both for your advice. Fingers crossed for my younger one then as I really don't think me having to get the bus with four under fives at the crack of dawn will seem unreasonable to anyone but me! Lol!
Anyone know if I need to reapply for the waiting list for each term/year or will I remain on it?
For the younger child, you need to check the policy of your new LEA (assuming you're changing LEA as well as address) to check whether they will treat the change of address as a new, ie late, application from the new address. Most LEAs have a cut-off date for this, that needs to be checked. You are right that you will need some evidence of the new address.
For the older child, you're right that an appeal has a limited chance of success because of the infant class size regulations. The fact that a child is taught out of year is (as far as I can see) completely irrelevant as they are still on the roll for that year group. Highlight any strong compassionate reasons why you need your child at this school, but unless they are so compelling that refusing you a place could be held to be unreasonable - as opposed to just something you don't like - you're unlikely to succeed.
You're right that having a younger sibling at the school should help, as it will move the older child into a higher category on the waiting list (assuming the school gives priority to siblings).
I would appeal for older one....what harm can it do. I would also ring LEA about younger one and explain the situation.
In Kent I think they allow some late applications/changes with good reason but that deadline is approaching so if your area does that you need to be quick. I had a similar situation where DD got into school and then we moved 2 months before school started. We had to wait 18 months (DD started the new school in November), but for me timing was great as I then applied for DS reception place.
Oh no I didn't realise stars would make the word bold! I just noticed I'd spelt advice wrong in first posting! Sorry going to take me a while to get used to this
advice sorry this is all giving me a massive headache!
First time posting, have just joined for some advise
We are moving to a new area at the end of feb. My daughter is currently in year one and as we don't drive, I have two preschoolers and I'm pregnant getting the bus to our current school is going to be tough! (I realise that doesn't matter as far as admissions are concerned).
We will be living right across the road from a school and I have just had a letter of refusal from them as they currently have 30 children in year one. I have been advised to appeal this as one of the children is taught out of year at the moment, meaning there are only 29 children in the actual class, it is also rumoured that he may not return next year, but that was just gossip and also I'm not sure what the situation is or why he doesn't attend the school.
Everything I've been reading is that there's basically no point appealing when it comes to infant class size and our situation doesn't seem to fit any of the exceptions to this. I wondered if there's anyone experienced in this who could give me their opinion/advise?
The letter of refusal has a section to send back to say I would like her to remain on the waiting list till the end of term. Presumably this means I would need to reapply for year 2 come September? Would I be better off doing this than going through a potentially hopeless appeal? When they say you can only appeal once per year is that school year or calendar year? When would I apply for year two?
On a separate issue, I did my younger child's admissions form for reception sept 2013 back in November and we decided to go ahead with this move 10 days after the cut off to change it! As I understand it I need to wait till I receive my tenancy agreement for the new house (25th feb) and send it to the admissions people. From there I'm not sure what to expect, any advice/experience? If I could just get one of them through the door I know I'd have a better chance with the other!
The school we want has an admissions criteria of 0.8 mile radius and we are less than 0.4!
Would really appreciate any feedback on my situation with either child, even if its just to give up and get a bus pass!
Join the discussion
Please login first.