3+ 4+ 5+ 7+ support thread 2013

(319 Posts)
mumteacher Wed 19-Dec-12 22:26:41

I have had a number of messages asking if I have any spaces in my classes. I'm really sorry but I have been at full capacity for some time now.

However, I do appreciate that this is a very stressful time of year for parents who have children sitting these private school assessments in January 2013. So, I'm hoping that by setting up this support group thread I can help by answering some questions you have about these assessments.

Hopefully this thread will also contain some useful insight from the experiences of parents who have already been through the process.

Millhillmummy Mon 11-Mar-13 17:31:15

Does anyone else feel like time is standing still??

Elaine28 Tue 12-Mar-13 14:40:19

Hi mum teacher thank you for the advise. I wondered if you could help me with timescales, my DS is in Reception at a state primary, we are wanting him to sit the 7+ for Habs Boys. At the moment he does Kumon maths and English and attends explore learning. My question is when should I start his tuition for the 7+ exam? Is 1 year enough time for tuition or would you say the sooner the better?

mumteacher Wed 13-Mar-13 23:14:32

Depends Elaine28. Are you able to help him at home? It's usually a great start if you can. It sounds like you have a very firm start already. Keeping going. He's only in reception so little steps. If he's not happy to do something back off a little. Remember that it's next year you will need him to buckle down so don't put him off now.

Reception- addition,subtraction time, money, growing cress, letter formation..
Yr 1 times tables, fractions, doubles, halves, story writing and comprehensions.

grimsleeper Thu 14-Mar-13 10:17:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumteacher Thu 14-Mar-13 11:15:42

Sooooo pleased for you. He's done so well and I'm sure he's going to really enjoy it at Habs. X

Millhillmummy Thu 14-Mar-13 12:15:24

Us too grimsleeper, Habs here we come!

Elaine28 Thu 14-Mar-13 12:25:39

Thanks for your help mum teacher and congrats grim sleeper! Yes we do lots of work at home, he actually loves doing the Kumon maths and English and so far I have never had to battle with him to do it - I just say time for Kumon and he leaps up to the table to get started. The Explore Learning is also great as he thinks its fantastic that he gets to go and play computer games while Mummy does the boring shopping. My concern is he still has not grasped the reading and I am aware that the other children in his class have taken to reading much quicker, the maths he whizzes through no problem. He doesn't turn 5 until May so i am concerned that when he sits the exam he will be younger than other applicants. Do you have anything you recommend for basic beginners reading?

Chiffer Fri 15-Mar-13 08:41:27

mumteacher if you are still around ...
My DS (6) is up for a last minute place at a super selective to join year two next year. Other DS is already at the school. DS (6) is currently at another selective pre prep so well prepared, very advanced in maths, reading etc. They want him in for half a day and the assessment with include some non-verbal reasoning, maths, English, staying for lunch etc

I would be so grateful for any advice you might have about how we can prepare him. Its such short notice he's going to have to wing it mostly, but is there anything we can to hone his skills last minute and get him in the right frame of mind?

Thank you so much for all your advice .. have scoured the thread already.

Chiffer Fri 15-Mar-13 09:32:52

And if anyone else has been through this I'd be soooo grateful if you could share your experiences...

Turniphead1 Fri 15-Mar-13 17:39:09

Ciffer - in your place I don't think you'd need to do much. In the case of a sibling who has already been "prepped" at a good "pre -prep" - and is working at a high level -sounds like he is in with a very good chance.
smile Good luck.

mumteacher Fri 15-Mar-13 22:38:16

Chiffer I have just had a student sit a non standard entry at a very selective nw london school and been called back for round 2 assessment out of 30 children sitting the assessment. There is only one vacancy at the school.
I am able to help but you would need to tell me which school and need a little more detail on your son.

Pm if you're not happy sharing here x

Chiffer Sat 16-Mar-13 10:44:47

Thank you both so much. Turniphead1 I really appreciate the encouragement.

The odds are not great and the head is encouraging everyone to hold out for the 7+ when at least there's a good number of places. Its only four more terms but we're going to give it a go. We'll go over the NVR but I'm looking for any tips to help him stand out!

mumteacher that is great for your student! It so hard. This is not a London school though it sounds very similar. I will pm you. Thank you again.

BookTab Sat 06-Apr-13 04:07:50

Mumteacher, how can I contact u personally for advice please?

AliM7482 Sat 06-Apr-13 22:23:10

Hi all, I have been reading this thread with great interest, and many thanks to all of you who have posted really helpful advice.
My eldest children (twins) are currently in Reception but we are hoping they will sit the 7+ assessments for our local very good and ultra selective private schools in SE London when the time comes.

I am feeling a bit low about their chances of success at the moment; obviously I think they're really bright and lovely kids, but we recently had a somewhat bruising experience at parents evening where we were told they both needed to be referred for speech therapy, one of them is very behind with number work, the other is behind with reading. DH thinks I should relax about it (he is the sensible one whereas I am the worrier, but that's another story)... Worth pointing out they are summer babies, born in July, so I guess they are bound to have some catching up to do.

I am just wondering whether, with the children who have been successful in getting in to their first choice of school at 7+, were they also academically outstanding at Reception (or even before then)? it would be really good to know if some others have had similar experiences and come out ok at the other end.

Morningnovice Sat 06-Apr-13 23:51:41

Hi, I have followed this thread with great interest. How do you find schools that have a 7+ entry exam for a particular area.

Thanks.

ThisOneAndThatOne Sun 07-Apr-13 17:41:40

Ali, our DTs got into Habs at 5+

It's almost impossible to get selective school advice and experience for twins. So I am more than happy to share my thoughts and experiences. Feel free to ask any questions or PM me.

Obviously 5+ and 7+ are very different assessments. 7+ is far more transparent in that you will probably get past papers and will be able to prepare far better.

DT2 has had speech therapy for the last year as I did not want him to fail just because he could not make himself understood. It ready helped his self confidence as well.

How do you do reading practice with them? One of mine is three bands above the other. And it's quite challenging to separate them for individual practice.

What is your plan if one gets in and the other does not?

ThisOneAndThatOne Sun 07-Apr-13 18:19:51

Ali, to answer some of your specific points ....

I think boys develop quite dramatically at this she and at different rates. The Habs head made quite a point in her chat to the parents that the boys will be quite different in two years time and do Nyone who was nog successful could try again at 7+. She said that so records of the 5+ would be destroyed and the boys assessed afresh at 7+.

There is some good advice about preparing for the 7+ on this thread. You just need to industrialise it for twins.

But your real challenge is not to get too stressed as the boys will pick up on it.

Good luck.

YPK1 Thu 16-May-13 09:45:05

Hello mumteacher,

I have seen your helpful advice and hoping you can help me as well please!
I have a 21 month old daughter (August born) so she will be quite young when doing the 4+ exams. She is not going to nursery yet, will start when she is 2. Can you pls give me some advice regarding activities I should do with her at home starting now?
Also we speak to her in 3 languages which means that she is not speaking too well yet... she understands them all but I am now worried this might impact her chances of getting accepted... what is your view pls on what I can do on this front to help her?
And last question, I see on the thread that many parents apply to St Helen's but there seems to be 2 schools called St. Helen's. One in Northwood and one in Uxbridge. Which one is "THE" St Helen's?

Thanks a million!!!

mumteacher Sun 19-May-13 23:46:30

Ypk1 the school is in northwood.

Speaking in many languages is great as long as one of them is English.
Puzzle,play dough, cutting, colouring, number recognition......obviously some of these activities your dd is currently too young for.

The main thing I would say is important is building her ability to sit at any activity for a length of time. If day one she plays with an activity for 3 mins, next time see if she can sit for 4 mins.

Concerntration and listening to instructions are key.

strawberryfields973 Wed 29-May-13 09:17:46

Hello mumteacher, thanks for starting such a useful thread. Do you have any experience with The Hall assessment. I am interested to know what do they expect of the boys at 4+.

newmem Wed 24-Jul-13 13:53:43

Hi mumteacher

My kids need help for 11+. Can you help or do you know anyone who can.

mumteacher Thu 25-Jul-13 23:49:00

Hi newmem I'm sorry I can't currently help but depending on where you are I may have a number for you. Pm me if you would like it x

Foxy10 Fri 30-Aug-13 22:06:30

Hi mumteacher,

Have been following your threads for years and good on you for sticking up for yourself when detractors try to hijack some of these threads that give valuable advice to parents. They forget that it is a free world and if someone decides to tutor their child from infancy then it is their choicesmile
Anyway I digress, have been given a number for a northwest tutor by a friend, was wondering if it's you...
I have got 5+ assessment in Jan for daughter for Habs & 3+ assessment for son St John/St Martin, please can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in anticipation.

mumteacher Mon 02-Sep-13 23:35:48

Foxy10 have pm'd you.

TeaJunky Tue 03-Sep-13 11:07:14

Hi OP,

I haven't read the full thread, just your initial post and afew narky posts after it, but I think it's wonderful that you are sharing your expertise. Good on you and thank you smile
So my question was, DD (starting nursery tomorrow) has got her head around the initial sounds. We've kind of gone over them a few times during the summer but I do feel she gets bored quickly as, well, it's not very exciting blush

So what kind of quick phonic activities can I do that are interesting and that will be effective?

Also, in her school report from nursery, 'knowledge of the world' area was emerging. How do I boost her knowledge on this? We do talk about things around us, seasons, transport etc but how else can I boost this knowledge in a creative way?

Many many thanks flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now