Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bland but healthy meal ideas to help with nausea?

(15 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Thu 04-Aug-16 11:51:20

My morning sickness comes in the form of constant nausea so I'm having trouble finding foods that I can stomach besides bread and chips blush I normally cook everything from scratch and we eat mostly curries and spicy stuff but the thought of eating that now makes me feel sick.

I'm leaning towards stuff that can just be bunged in the oven, like breaded fish and mash and peas etc, but I need to keep it somewhat healthy both for myself and for my 2 toddlers. I've put on 4lb in the last 2 weeks just through wolfing down bread and chips to dampen the nausea blush ( I'm only 7 weeks so can't keep going at that rate!)

Would love some suggestions please!

MonkeyPoozzled76 Thu 04-Aug-16 11:58:51

I'm the same currently, no sickness just constant low level nausea. Usually like spicy, curry, Thai bit can't bare the thought!

The only thing I really seem to be enjoying currently (apart from toast and hula hoops) is really bland spag bol with cheese on top!

I'm 8wks and have put on 4lb too blush

SeashellHoarder Thu 04-Aug-16 12:36:33

How about mash potatoes and simple veg with a bit of butter on? (I lived on this when pregnant with dd2) You can add a meat option like some mince or a piece of ham for the toddlers.
It keeps well in the fridge and you can have as little or much as you can manage.

SeashellHoarder Thu 04-Aug-16 12:39:30

Filled fresh pasta is quite good too, tescos have a good selection. You can add a sauce for the toddlers, tescos have a very plain tomatoes one in the fresh pasta section. The benefit of this is you don't need to cook, just heat it up.
Hope you feel better soon.

eeyore2 Thu 04-Aug-16 12:55:50

Pittas stuffed with 'crystal' chicken. Get a chicken breast and slice it in half so it is now half as thick as previously. Poach the halves in a small saucepan /frying pan of simmering water and then lift out on to a chopping board. It will slice beautifully and be very tender but totally bland! Slice thinly and then put into halved pittas with some sliced raw veg (carrots, peppers, cucumber). Add some hummus if you can bear it. Healthy, balanced, bland, kid-friendly. Wish you better soon!

MrsCrankypants Thu 04-Aug-16 13:10:49

I lived on shepherds pie and carrots 7 nights a week for about 6 weeks when I was in the queasy stage with Dd1. How about sausages and mash or roast chicken and veg?

emmabrown123 Thu 04-Aug-16 13:47:17

I lived on homemade soups - leek and potato, sweet potato, butternut squash. You can make them as flavoursome or as bland as you like and also good for kids.

That and 'stuff' on toast - beans, spaghetti, cheese, eggs. Anything with a side of thick white toast actually!!

Also found drinking ginger and lemon tea helped. Hope you feel better soon!

LadyLynsey Thu 04-Aug-16 13:56:36

OP I really know exactly how you feel!! Pp have said pasta and I second that, it's filling and delicious without being unhealthy. I also enjoyed putting cheese on it but mixed in so it was melted.
Jacket potatoes are good too.
Although I'm now coping better as the nausea (which was awful, all day every day from week 5) has settled, I still struggle to really fancy something or have the energy to stand and cook.
If your upto going to the shops, literally just wonder around and see what you fancy. I did that a few times!
I also put on weight quickly due to eating rubbish (i thought if my belly was full I might not feel so ill) but now I'm eating at more normal times and my weight has settled. Getting out and about again has helped a lot to level it out.
Good luck!

confuugled1 Thu 04-Aug-16 14:19:13

I used to have small windows when I would suddenly feel like eating so would need something quick and easy.

I used to heat up a sachet of ready rice and stir through some philly cream cheese (I used to get the small portions so I always had a fresh one to hand rather than open a big ppt and realise it was off a couple of days later) so it was like a fake risotto.

I'd rough chop some cherry plum tomatoes, olives, a bit of ham, stir it in and eat - it would be ready in less than 3 minutes from starting and was pleasantly bland.
You could ring the changes with what you stirred through it - an egg (making sure it was cooked again in the microwave so the egg was properly cooked) instead of Philly to make it a rice frittata, or grapes instead of tomatoes or chicken instead of ham or adding a spoon of pesto or cream...

You get the gist - I just used what I had in and fancied. Apart from cooking the rice (cheating using the ready cooked) and an egg if you use it, everything else can be eaten cold so easy to throw together.

Hope the nausea is over soon, I remember the misery it caused well!

HughLauriesStubble Thu 04-Aug-16 16:53:48

Thanks everyone I think mash, veg and plain meat is the way to go. Trying to do out a meal plan for my shopping list now. 75% of what we eat is vegetarian/lentil/beans based as dh only eats chicken and turkey, no other meat or poultry and unfortunately I can't stomach the thought of the vegetarian stuff. I always said I wouldn't go down the road of cooking 2 different meals for us but I'll probably have to pick some meat up for myself. Hopefully it's just a short term thing!

SeashellHoarder Thu 04-Aug-16 22:46:48

Eeyore's recipe sounds lovely. And very manageable to eat!

EreniTheFrog Fri 05-Aug-16 10:56:20

I'd second the filled pasta idea - it cooks in minutes and you can bung on some pesto and/or cream cheese for an instant sauce. Similarly (and usually next to it in the supermarket) there's gnocchi - which you boil in the same way - and ready-made polenta - you can grill or fry.

Pixie2015 Fri 05-Aug-16 17:01:49

Mashed potatoes (supermarket made) and chicken (ideally supermarket cooked to reduce smell) - as white as a meal comes x

oldlaundbooth Fri 05-Aug-16 20:33:08

Homemade mac and cheese is a good one too. And it reheats well.

You could add chopped broccoli too if you feel healthy!

TuppencePenny Fri 05-Aug-16 20:35:10

When I'm like that all I can stomach is what you said - breaded fish, chips, peas and white bread. I think of you feel sick eat what you can stomach and makes you feel a bit better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now