Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

2nd Child

(6 Posts)
Julieb85 Wed 17-Feb-16 15:24:25

I'm about 6 weeks my my second child and unfortunately I've had a family bereavement which has led to me having time off for funeral et in the last month. I've only recently found out I'm expecting and I've already had time off for GP and now I have booking appointment at midwife next week.

Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with time off/or telling my boss early? I feel like I'm taking the mick with all this time off! And I'm sure my boss may start to refuse some now.

VivaHate Wed 17-Feb-16 15:57:12

They can't legally refuse you time off for ante natal appointments www.gov.uk/working-when-pregnant-your-rights x

Julieb85 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:07:28

It's more that I haven't told them I'm expecting as its really early days. Just wondering if anyone advising on doing that or still keeping it to myself and chancing them not giving me the time off...

Runner05 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:16:22

I just told my immediate boss and advised them that I wanted it kept confidential until 12 weeks. They were absolutely fine about it (and surprisingly really pleased for me) I too had taken time off for companionate leave only a few weeks previously so I was expecting a fuss but they have been completely the opposite encouraging me to take it easy and offering me more encouragement and support than I would have believed possible.
Granted I do work for a large employer that has a very good track record in how it treats pregnant staff but still, they have to offer you support if you ask for it.

Julieb85 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:24:25

Thanks! Hopefully my work will be as understanding although I'm not holding out much hope! I feel like I'm only just back lol!

BumpPower Wed 17-Feb-16 16:49:42

Tell you boss - or HR - and explicitly state you don't want anyone to know. It's an awkward conversation but worth being open and honest to make things easier later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now