Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

39 + 1, baby due any day now, & have flu:(

(11 Posts)
Preezie Wed 03-Sep-14 15:02:32

As titles says, my baby is due any day now...my other kids were born between weeks 37-38, so this little one has already hung on for longer than the siblings. The problem is I have started developing a flu since yesterday...Have a cough already and badly blocked nose, and terrified that I will pass this on to my newborn if baby is born now. I was planning to breastfeed exclusively if possible. From what I've read, breastfeeding is still encouraged even if ill with flu/cold, but as baby will be so little, I'm so afraid of baby picking this up from me. Has anyone been in this situation before? What did you do to prevent baby from getting ill? Can't believe the timing of this flu....Have only had a cold once throughout my pregnancy, and now thissad

weebairn Wed 03-Sep-14 15:09:39

Sorry to hear you are feeling rotten.
I also have a cough and a cold and feeling sorry for myself, but earlier than you at 36+1 so no baby coming just yet.
It actually works the other way round with breastfeeding - if you have an infection you will be making the antibodies to fight it, and those antibodies will pass to the baby in the milk, not the infection itself. Baby then has the best chance of fighting off the infection just the same way you do as an adult.
Irrespective of breastfeeding, baby will also have a lot of your antibodies at birth, this fades after the first couple of months.

Hopefully your illness will be short lived and baby born after it has passed?

Preezie Wed 03-Sep-14 15:15:27

Thanks weebairn. I understand that breastfeeding is best to help baby fight off any infections...My concern is not passing it through breastmilk, but through contact. I obviously plan to be extra cautious...keep sterilising hands, wear a mask around baby, etc. but am still scared she may somehow pick it up from me. I just hate the timing of this! Obviously I don't want baby exposed to any flu/cold germs at all if possible.

ShowMeShowMeTheWine Wed 03-Sep-14 18:20:30

You may ind your body hangs on to give birth until you've started to recover.

rightsaidfred Wed 03-Sep-14 21:16:12

What weebairn said - baby shouldn't catch the bugs as they are protected by your immunity through breastfeeding. Contact, coughs and sneezes won't make any difference- as long as your body is fighting off the infection baby will be protected too. Good luck x

Preezie Wed 03-Sep-14 22:01:29

Thanks rightsaidfred From what I've read it's still possible for a newborn to contact the flu/cold if exposed to it. See this link for example:www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/colds-risk Since my baby has hung in there far longer than her siblings thus far, I'm hoping she waits a few more days until I'm hopefully feeling better. It's awful when you can't really take medication. I'm sure I'd be well in no time if I could! Relying on things like extra vitamin c, and home remedies like sipping on hot water with lemon & honey. Fingers crossed I'm a bit better by the time she arrives.

Droflove Fri 05-Sep-14 08:51:30

I doubt it's the flu, have you been in contact with the flu? Most likely a cough and cold but I'd say baby will be fine. I had wine vomiting bug while feeding my baby and he never caught it. Weirdly he did pass it on to his 2 grannies but didn't fall ill himself. Try not to worry, a few days and you could be over the worst of it.

Droflove Fri 05-Sep-14 08:51:56

Wine=winter! I promise!

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Fri 05-Sep-14 08:57:39

grin at wine vomiting bug.

I had a stinking cold when DD was born and she didn't catch that or the norovirus I had when she was 4 months old. We co slept and so were in v. close contact.

The being scrupulous about washing hands is a great idea but don't think you need to wear a mask. What does your MW say?

Hope you feel better soon.

FoxSticks Fri 05-Sep-14 09:06:58

I had norovirus too when breastfeeding and didn't pass it on to dd. If you are still feeling unwell when you go I to labour then the mw will be able to advise you on how best to protect your baby.

Preezie Fri 05-Sep-14 09:54:02

Droflove...was just thinking that that's quite an interesting sounding virus, lol! May unfortunately have contacted flu from my mum who arrived from overseas 2 weeks ago & is still not fully recovered even now! (She still has a chesty cough) Feeling a little better today, but still have a nasty cough & feeling completely drained...Just got into bed to try to get some rest. *AmIFeedem & FoxSticks, so glad to hear u didn't pass on yr virus to baby...gives me hope that my little one won't catch my flu! Thanks a lot for the replies ladies...appreciate it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now