Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Leg cramps in the third trimester

(22 Posts)
BumpNGrind Fri 18-Jul-14 14:34:47

I'm in agony. I've woken up 3 times screaming in pain because of leg cramps, my poor Dh has fraying nerves as a testament to this!

Clearly I'm a wimp who's going to behave shockingly in labour, but right now I'm putting that to the back of my mind. Anyone want to share their cures for leg cramps?

Tallblue Fri 18-Jul-14 14:37:43

Marking my place as this happened to me last night for the first time, I also woke up and shrieked! Soooo painful and my calf was still sore for most of the morning. Dreading it happening again tonight....

BumpNGrind Fri 18-Jul-14 14:48:23

It's so horrible isn't it. Glad I'm not the only screamer wimp wink

Notfastjustfurious Fri 18-Jul-14 14:52:38

Salt is apparently the answer here, that and tonic water. Probably not together. I only had one instance of this and it was seriously worse than labour and my leg ached for a couple of days. Mw suggested adding salt and drinking tonic water and it didn't happen again. Both were boak though. Hth.

TwigletFiend Fri 18-Jul-14 15:02:03

It's the quinine in tonic water that's meant to do the trick - it does seem to help! Tastes much more bearable if it's really cold too.

stargirl1701 Fri 18-Jul-14 15:07:42

I had this with last pg. Tonic water - but the real stuff. You need quinine - not the artificial stuff. Fever Tree is good. 3 bottles a day sorted my cramps out.

BumpNGrind Fri 18-Jul-14 15:14:03

I knew it!!!

I am a gin and tonic drinker, I knew there'd be side effects to giving up alcohol. My body is officially rejecting a sober lifestyle!

Notfastjustfurious, you might have just made my weekend by saying that leg cramps are worse than labour. I very much hope that's true in my case too.

caravela Fri 18-Jul-14 16:03:36

This is happening to me too, not every night, but quite often. I'm now 24 weeks, but it started about a fortnight ago. It's really horrible. I've mostly been drinking a glass of water and eating a pinch of salt, but while that makes it go away for the rest of the night it doesn't seem to prevent it recurring. I'll try the tonic water - thanks for the tip.

juneau Fri 18-Jul-14 16:18:58

I had this! The cure, for me, was the stay very well hydrated (hard in this weather, but keep drinking lots of water), make sure you take a multi-vitamin every day with magnesium and selenium in it, and yes, the quinine in tonic water also helps with cramps. Adequate salt in your diet will help too.

FoodieMum3 Fri 18-Jul-14 16:36:30

I've heard that a banana before bed helps.

It has happened to me twice ever and the first time, I literally woke up screaming in agony.

Now I know what to do - stretch it out and step on cold floor.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 18-Jul-14 16:40:20

I took calcium and magnesium tablets for this and they seemed to work. Waking up screaming in the middle of the night was my only real pg problem but it was a doozy until I fixed it.

allisgood1 Fri 18-Jul-14 16:42:38

As soon as you feel a cramp coming on flex and bend your toes as quickly as possible. This will prevent your whole leg going into "freeze" which is agony and impossible to move then until the cramp releases. Read this somewhere online and now on DC3 and have to say it works brilliantly!

Eastwiththem Fri 18-Jul-14 16:53:30

I've had this twice in the past week. Have probably had cramp about 3 times previously in my whole life. Another G&T drinker here so clearly I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

The first time I took my time standing up as the pain was so bad and my leg hurt for the whole of the day. The second time I stood up as quickly as possible, getting my heel flat on the floor instantly relieved it.

I'm off to down some tonic water now smile

ilovebooks Fri 18-Jul-14 17:16:00

Magnesium oil helped me massively, just rub it into your legs regularly - good opportunity for a leg massage. I haven't had any more since using it and was in a lot of pain beforehand. You can buy it on amazon - all the reviews are pretty good too.

xxmissbrightsidexx Fri 18-Jul-14 17:48:44

I get them soooo bad they nearly have me in tears xx

JC74 Fri 18-Jul-14 17:52:46

I find that tonic water helps too. I don't usually suffer from cramp but I seem to over extend my legs in my sleep and then I'm in agony!

CoolCat2014 Fri 18-Jul-14 18:50:09

I had them last night and was screaming in pain. Poor DH sad he had to massage my legs and get me an ice pack for it to stop. Also very relieved someone said it's worse than labour!

Artistic Fri 18-Jul-14 22:27:02

Finally figured out how to stop the cramp. Bring your foot towards the foot (not away from the foot which is the tempting option the foot wants to go for). Hold it there until the whole leg relaxes. Practice a couple of times & you can do it involuntarily in your sleep. Doesn't wake up the DH now.grin

Artistic Fri 18-Jul-14 22:27:39

*Foot towards the LEG.

crazylady2013 Sat 19-Jul-14 00:29:41

Thanks for the tips. I've had a few really bad ones recently (also made me doubt how I will handle labour). Eating bananas helped in early pregnancy but not anymore so will move onto the tonic water (could explain my craving for G&T at the moment wink ).

allisgood1 Sat 19-Jul-14 11:04:59

Really the foot moving thing is the only thing that works in the moment smile

LePetitPont Sat 19-Jul-14 20:28:19

Another leg cramper here - I used to get them a lot if I'd been heavily drinking - a bit ironic!

Hadn't heard the tonic water (sadly sans gin) plan, will try that smile

The foot flex as per pp is good for releasing, so don't point your toes but point your heel instead. And some calf stretches before bed helps me too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now