Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can we talk about prams and travel systems?

(78 Posts)
Sparkle9 Mon 02-Jun-14 17:50:06

This is a whole new world for me - please help! I am very lucky because my lovely mother will be buying my whatever pram or travel system I want. I just have to choose. We have a shopping day penciled in the calendar but I need some mumsnet wisdom to prepare me before I'm subjected to any sales pitches!

I need something that will fit into the boot of a Focus. Easily foldable would be great. I'm 5'3" and DP is 6'2" so it has to suit us both. It will mostly be pushed around normal streets with pavements (less likely to be used off road). I like the idea of being able to put a car seat on it easily. I would like something that will last for a few years. I think a travel system is the best option. Any recommendations?

Firstpregnancy2014 Mon 02-Jun-14 17:53:27

I'm 5'5 and partner is 6'2 and we have gone for bugaboo cameleon. He takes the car to work and I do a lot of walking so seemed to suit us , it looks good folded down too but wasn't as small as some of the other prams I saw! Before choosing we looked at the Quinny buzz and the mamas and papas travel system- both felt so flimsy and the mamas and papas was very wide it was called the zoom I think !

meditrina Mon 02-Jun-14 17:53:37

Have you spotted that there's a Pushchair topic?

You might find a browse in there helpful.

Gingerandcocoa Mon 02-Jun-14 17:55:24

Hmm we wanted a small, light buggy that was easy to fold and unfold (one piece folding was essential), also just for urban areas. We bought the Bugaboo Bee, after lots of research. The other main contender was the Uppababy Vista, but it was bigger and was a two piece folding which we weren't keen on.

From my research and speaking to lots of people with babies, it sounds like they were the two best options...

(I also fell in love with the Joolz buggy but i couldn't lift it!! so heavy!)

Artandco Mon 02-Jun-14 17:57:45

Bugaboo bee. Folds in one piece for car, handle adjusts for diff heights, lasts 0- not needing pram. Can attach car seat
Parent faces

softlysoftly Mon 02-Jun-14 18:01:16

City Mini Jogger without hesitation!

I bought a bugaboo which is beautiful BUT travel systems like that are bulky, a pita to take to pieces (don't just think car think folding in restaurants, on trips out etc where there is no space). And they only last about a year until you want a lightweight buggy for a toddler.

The city mini I bought as an all purpose buggy for a holiday when DD1 hit1.5yrs and I wish I'd got it from theoff:

- 1 handed lay flat fold. 1 handed flick out from handle to put up total ease with baby or screaming toddler in 1 arm.

- Huge bucket seat my 4 year old can still fit it

- huge baskets that carried picnic coats and shoes for 4 adults and 1 DC around Disney.

- biggest sunshade ever (because stick on parasols are crap)

- good air vents for cooling

- not only works as a buggy but lays flat for newborn

- you can get a carrycot to attach for baby stage

- you csn by adaptors to fit a range or carseats to it

- you can get baby feeding trays, playbars, parent consoles (purse/ipod/drinks holder etc) wheel holders, travel bags and bloody all sorts to add to it.

- amazingly easy to clean, steer and seems to last forever.

my ONLY downside is it isn't as "pretty" as the bugaboo.

softlysoftly Mon 02-Jun-14 18:04:36

Oh and I'm on DC3 and planning on using the city mini with buggyboard for DD2 to ride in (she's 2) and a sling for in case I need to carry baby and pin a tantruming DD1 or DD2 into the jogger as they don't stay cute and obedient forever wink

RAFWife12 Mon 02-Jun-14 18:07:28

We got the uppababy vista after rave reviews from my brother and sil.
It comes with adaptors for the maxicosi car seats. Has carry cot to lay flat from new born then standard seat which can face either way.
Folds small enough to get in the boot of my yaris.
Easy to steer with one hand. Quite a high seat position which i like ( i am only 5'3 and felt a lot of buggys were low down) both brother and sil are tall and they appreciate the height of seat. Adjustable handle too for taller people.
Large shopping basket too!

SouthDerbyshireMamma Mon 02-Jun-14 18:33:05

We went for the Bugaboo Cameleon and Maxi Cosi Pebble car seat and isofix. In comparison to all others I took for a test drive it was way above the others. Its quite expensive so you might feel a bit uncomfortable asking someone else to buy it for you (we did) My OH is 6"2 and i'm 5"6 and it suits us both. We have a really small house but it folds down plenty small enough smile

Alita7 Mon 02-Jun-14 18:47:13

What's your budget? We're getting a Zoom from mamas and papas. It comes either as 'duo' so with removable seat and car seat which goes into the chassis without the car seat (£229), or 'trio' which also comes with a carry cot (£299).
The seat can be forward or backward facing. It is very light 3 wheeler and easy to push. I don't think it's that big so should be ok for a smallish boot, especially if you use the car seat by itself as then only the chassis will be in the boot. Reviews say it's easy to fold 2 handed.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 02-Jun-14 18:50:16

Ive got a focus. We have the Maclaren XLR stroller (so that it would outlast dd needing a buggy and last for dc2). Its lie flat and is compatable with a soft carseat.

We bought the Recaro Profi Plus carseat which has adaptors to attach it to the stroller.

I love it, and would buy it all over again if it werent for the fact that its still in immacculate condition for the next child.

squizita Mon 02-Jun-14 19:19:02

Alita I was considering the "City Zoom" too, or the Xpedior from Mothercare (they seem to be direct rivals in terms of price, shape and size!).

Travel systems are funny things, one persons dream is anther persons nightmare...

I would recommend being able to push it one handed (tricky to test as you can push them all one handed in the shop) so that if/when DC2 arrives you can push them along while holding onto DC1's hand.

It needs to be easy to put up and down otherwise you may get to the six month mark and be tempted to sack it for an unfold in a moment Maclaren/Baby jogger or similar.

With DC1 I loved having one were the car seat fixed onto the base, she was never in it like that for long but it meant that I couple whip out to a shop on the way home from somewhere without waking her up.

Fairypants Mon 02-Jun-14 20:10:55

I'm going for the bugaboo chameleon and maxi cosi pebble for dc3. It's the combination we both kept coming back to although it is one of the most expensive on the market.
The vista was a close second.
Things that were big considerations for me were:
Separate carrycot (easier for when you get home and they've fallen asleep.
Forwards and backwards facing (it's nice to be able to chat to them)
Big basket (there is no end to the stuff I needed to carry around)
Able to fit in the boot of a fiat 500! (Umbrella folds felt too flimsy so being able to take a wheel off easily made all the difference)
I thought about how I usually walk rather than how I walk whilst trying out pushchairs and realise I have a long stride. Some pushchairs I would kick with every step so i wouldn't be able to walk quickly or comfortably. This meant baby seemed further away than I originally thought I wanted but I walk a lot when I can so comfort was important.
Think about how you will wash it- you will get vomit, wee and crumbs on it more than once.
Remember it is not recommended that babies spend more than 2 hours at a time in a car seat so if you will be out with your pushchair for longer than this, those travel systems that use a car seat as the newborn stage won't be much good.
The thing I almost forgot is that it will be in pushchair mode much longer than carrycot mode so check the pushchair bit seems comfy and practical and that you can store the carrycot (it's good if it folds down).
Those were my main concerns but it will depend on your own circumstances whether weight or re-sale value etc are important.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 02-Jun-14 20:25:51

I've got a Bugaboo Bee and it easily fits into our Focus with room to spare.

We still use it for 2 year old DS. And it has height adjustable handles, which is great as I'm short and DH is 6ft! We have the maxi cosi car seat which clips on to the frame.

Alita7 Mon 02-Jun-14 20:36:09

Squizita we were looking at the xpedior until we saw the zoom. DP is an engineer and thinks the zoom is much better quality (though he doesn't engineer prams so no idea if his opinion is worth anything :p) and I think I agree, it just feels like it's made better, like it's worth a bit more money. Though the £229 version doesn't come with the carry cot, which doesn't personally bother us, because with the car seat and the ability to have the seat facing you, the carry cot doesn't seem necessary for me smile my only complaint is that there are only 3 colour options, black, pick and yellow. I'd quite like Apple green or dark purple but you can't have everything!

I think it's perfect for anyone who wants good quality on a budget smile

if you have a bigger budget then I have no idea how it compares to much more expensive equivalents and if you actually get anything significantly better with a £300, £400 or £500 pushchair, as I purposely haven't looked so I don't tease myself :p

Alita7 Mon 02-Jun-14 20:40:37

Fairy pants this may seem like a silly question but when they say 2 hours at a time, how does that work?

If I went shopping for two hours and stopped in a coffee shop and took baby out for half an hour, would it be ok to put them back in for an hour to grab a few more bits and get home? Or is it 2 hours in one day?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 02-Jun-14 21:01:20

It's two hours at a time, so if you were doing a long journey you would have to stop, get them out, give them a feed etc before putting them back in.

Sweetpea86 Mon 02-Jun-14 21:07:49

Look look and look some more in he shops ask if u can try them in your car.

I went for what I thought looked small and bought it as I dint like any thing. The silver cross free way liner. It's now 100 cheaper I only got it feb lol typical,

And it's really bigger than I expected doesn't. It's a very heavy pram. I has a c section so trying to get it up a curb at first was agony lol

Just really odd your research. This is my first baby too and I had no idea on prams and went for the plain one lol I really wish I'd researched more

Sweetpea86 Mon 02-Jun-14 21:10:11

Sorry lack of sleep my post makes no sense lol

Sparkle9 Mon 02-Jun-14 21:13:44

Thank you for the replies! I am now making a list of ones to look at with little notes.

I'm lucky enough to have a budget (thanks to mum) that will stretch to a bugaboo plus accessories. She has said about £1000. I personally see no need to spend the maximum if something else works better for me though.

Busymumto3dc Mon 02-Jun-14 21:16:57

I have a m&p zoom (a purple one!)

I love it. My favorite pram ever and I have had lots.

Dd is 14 months and she's so comfy in it

Marnierose Mon 02-Jun-14 21:19:08

For me it's between the bugaboo and uppababy vista. I think the uppababy is a better built and designed system, however, it is heavier and not quite so attractive. I would try both out and see what you think.

Alita7 Tue 03-Jun-14 01:17:20

busy mum where did you get a purple zoom?

Hedgehog1977 Tue 03-Jun-14 07:23:43

We ordered ours at the weekend. The best thing to do is to find your local big shop and go in with a few criteria and start looking! We found the staff in Kiddicare really helpful, they went out of their way even when we realised the one we were going to get was out of stock so we ended up ordering from a different shop.

We ended up going for a Hauck Colt, which turned out much cheaper than we had budgeted for (it is �209 at Mothercare atm), but it ticked all of our boxes - especially fitting into a tiny boot. The pram converts into a buggy, rather than being 2 separate pieces, which is handy for storage
Hx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now