Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweeps and inductions

(14 Posts)
moomin35 Thu 01-May-14 17:45:14

Please can someone tell me/explain in what instances sweeps and inductions are offered? thanks smile

Justinepants Fri 02-May-14 09:41:47

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable people about but I just wanted to bump this for you.

I had a sweep and subsequently an induction with my DS because I had cholestasis. I was being monitored every day but they wanted him out.

HoneyBadgerPersonified Fri 02-May-14 10:14:11

Only had one child, one sweep and no induction so am not much use... But my understanding is sweeps are usually offered when a mother hits term or overdue. Sometimes 2 or 3 may be offered before resorting to induction.
Inductions are usually booked for no later than 2 weeks overdue but sometimes sooner if mother is really fed up, baby is measuring quite large or there are other complications (diabetes, pre-eclampsia, age etc).
Not quite sure where you're at so hard to know what info you're looking for!

dobedobedo Fri 02-May-14 10:23:10

If you have any problems in pregnancy like pgp or something they may offer a sweep once you've hit 37 weeks before they'll resort to induction.

If you're very fed up with being pregnant and you have a sympathetic midwife, they may give you a sweep if you ask nicely. It'll only work if your body is ready and the baby is playing his or her part too though.

OneEggIsAnOeuf Fri 02-May-14 10:38:00

I was offered a sweep when i went past my due date, which i declined. I then had to be induced as my waters broke without going into labour, leaving the baby vulnerable to infection (did leave it for a week but needed daily monitoring at hospital to make sure everything was ok).

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Fri 02-May-14 11:41:08

Do you mean because of pregnancy complications, or just because you're interested in what happens when on dates?

moomin35 Fri 02-May-14 13:30:23

Thanks justinepants grin

moomin35 Fri 02-May-14 13:32:31

My due date is 31st May but this is based on 40 weeks. I have had no complications to date (36 weeks) but just wondered if I might be offered a sweep or induction after 37 weeks (just clinging onto hope that I don't have to "suffer" pregnancy for too much longer!!)

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Fri 02-May-14 13:38:15

No, they won't offer you anything until at least 40 weeks unless there are reasons to be concerned about you or your baby.

In my area second/subsequent pregnancies you get offered a sweep at 41 weeks. Not sure if it's 40 or 41 for first timers. And they don't offer induction until +14.

I know the end of pregnancy can be grim, but trying to force them out before they are ready can be pretty counterproductive for everyone.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Fri 02-May-14 13:39:14

Sorry, not disagreeing with previous posts. The first para should also say 'in my area'.

With no complications they won't induce till about 12-14 days over. You can ask for a sweep from about 39 weeks and see what they say... As others have mentioned a sweep won't work anyway unless you're already on the way yourself.

moomin35 Fri 02-May-14 14:30:10

ok thanks guys that's good to know

I was induced at 37w for high BP and protein (wasn't pre eclampsia yet but they thought it was likely to develop). Was also given a sweep but it was half an hour before they started the induction, just to try and give things a helping hand rather than to try and prevent me needing induction.

I would've been induced at 40 weeks anyway for complications with my body. Normal practice in my area is sweeps from 40 weeks, induction at no later than term + 10 days, if the pregnancy is complication free.

Justinepants Fri 02-May-14 20:02:29

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now