Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying while pregnant

(27 Posts)
Teddybear33 Sat 15-Mar-14 08:58:38

Hi

Is it generally safe to fly in the second trimester? We had dinner with a friend last night who suggested flying was unsafe throughout the whole of pregnancy as he had a friend lose a baby at 4 months.

Does anyone have a view on this as we were considering one last holiday in may when I'll be around 22/23 weeks but I don't want to risk the baby.

Thanks

SunnyL Sun 16-Mar-14 22:02:42

I flew long haul when 6 months pregnant to Sri Lanka. It was an 11hr flight and quite uncomfortable. on the way back I had a rather large lady who refused to let me recline my seat because she didn't have much space. She would shake the seat back and shout at me if I tried to lower my seat.

The following day I had a very sore knee when I woke up but I had no reason for it. I walked to work to try to loosen it off but by the time I got there I was in a lot of pain. In the end I was kept in hospital overnight and given blood thinning injections because they feared I had DVT. Thankfully an ultrasound showed that it was unlikely I had a clot.

Would I fly if pregnant again? Yes but I would be cautious what airline to use (not Air Crappy Lanka) and I would try for economy plus or business class.

It gave me a real fright I can tell you.

MarEl Mon 17-Mar-14 13:29:48

I flew in the second trimester with my youngest. A couple of weeks after I came back, I found out I had placental abruption and I needed a emergency caesarean. However, I doubt that flying had anything whatsoever to do with it. You will be fine, lots of people fly in their 3rd trimester and have no problems. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now