Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Witch Hazel- any recommendations?

(6 Posts)
Mummyk1982 Sun 09-Mar-14 12:22:29

Hi

I've heard lots of people saying they put witch hazel on their maternity pad after birth to aid any tears/ episiotomy healing. Was thinking of getting some in- wondered if anyone had any recommendations of what to use?

Thanks in advance!!

nearlyreadytopop Sun 09-Mar-14 13:06:58

hi, I first heard of this when in hospital after having ds. I had a lot of stitches after a forceps birth. The midwife brought me a pad with witch hazel on it and it was absolutely heavenly. The pads were soaked in the solution and stored in a tupperware container in the fridge. When I got home I bought some from boots and stored it in the fridge.

Mummyk1982 Sun 09-Mar-14 13:14:06

Does it just come in a bottle? All I've seem so far is a facial skin care range!! Can't imagine it's that stuff! Might ask as my chemist tomorrow :-)

PervyMuskrat Sun 09-Mar-14 13:16:44

Hellyes! It's great stuff. You can buy a bottle of it from Boots (might have to ask at the pharmacy counter) but it's really soothing.

Other top tip is to wear 2 maternity pads at once to act as a cushion.

dobedobedo Sun 09-Mar-14 13:17:21

Ask the pharmacist for some, or you can pick up bottles of it in some big tesco stores. I've got a few bottles ready as I found it invaluable after having Ds. Soak some tissue or cotton wool in it and dab it on sore bits after going to the loo or whenever you need it. It's really the only thing that soothed the pain!

everythinghippie29 Sun 09-Mar-14 13:21:31

I bought some alcohol free stuff in a bottle of eBay as all the ones on the highstreet had an alcohol % that made me nervous! I used about a teaspoon each on each pad, I also used liberal amounts of 100% Aloe Vera gel from Holland and Barrett and a few drops of natural lavender oil. I wrapped them back up in tin foil and then took them out to defrost for a few mins before applying!

They were def very soothing on my episiotomy cut and very sore bits post birth!

I didn't use them allso still have some in the fridge for any cuts/brusing that may occur!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now