Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ohhh I am such a rebel (sarcastic post!)

(35 Posts)
Anothermrssmith Fri 01-Nov-13 19:43:30

Just made a risotto for dinner and used wine! I even stood in the Kitchen sniffing the open bottle for ten minutes before pouring any! Suppose this is what counts as living dangerously these days,lol.

(And yes I know,the alcohol cooks out but let me have my rebellious moment)

If this wine shortage the press have been banging on about over the last few days is well and truly in affect by the time I start drinking again I honestly will cry. The irony of there being a wine shortage AFTER I haven't drunk any for 6 months is not lost on me.

Morien Sat 02-Nov-13 21:06:12

I'm so sick of the whole alcohol in pregnancy thing (am 26 weeks). Other than in the first trimester when I couldn't stand the smell of it, let alone the taste, I've been having a small glass or 2 of red wine (or champagne grin) a week - my choice, and I'm happy with it, as is DH. Yet I just feel I can't win - whenever it's not just the two of us, if I have a glass of wine, someone's guaranteed to comment ('my daughter didn't touch alcohol at all when she was pregnant last year', 'oh, they allow that these days, do they?', etc etc), and if I don't have a glass, someone else is bound to comment ('my daughter had a little glass every now and then, you know', 'go on, one won't hurt'). I guess it's good preparation for the public scrutiny my parenting skills are going to come under blush

Shellywelly1973 Sun 03-Nov-13 12:55:36

Absolutely Morien!

I rarely drink normally but at my booking in appointment the midwife kept insisting I must drink at Christmas & birthdays. Many Christmas' & birthdays have passed & I haven't had a drink.

My point about smoking was about the levels. No one knows whats safe regarding alcohol or smoking in pregnancy so hcps advise zero. The testing would be impossible so how a safe level could be obtained is also impossible.

I think people are way too judgemental. Its actually getting worse. When I had my older dc people really didn't seem to care. Its as if people think you lose brain function as your tummy grows!

NatashaBee Sun 03-Nov-13 13:03:39

My OBGYN was fairly blasé about drinking during pregnancy - she told me a small glass 3 times a week was fine and that she drank in moderation throughout all her pregnancies. I didn't drink anything, but i probably would have had the odd spritzer if i'd wanted one, i preferred to stick with alcohol free beer. She was adamant, however, that I was not to touch diet soda under any circumstances! She felt that diet drinks with sweeteners had far more potential risks... Made me think.

BummyMummy77 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:06:46

My midwives would smack a diet coke out of my hand if they caught me with one.

loopdaloo Sun 03-Nov-13 13:17:22

Oops I lived on diet coke throughout both pregnancies! Never heard about any risks?!

NatashaBee Sun 03-Nov-13 13:21:07

Think the risks are to do with artificial sweeteners like aspartame.

Shellywelly1973 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:23:35

See?! It just goes on & on & on... !;-)

hettienne Sun 03-Nov-13 13:37:19

The panic about diet drinks is all bollocks too.

Eat and drink what you want within moderation. Plenty of women around the world and through out history have managed to carry and birth healthy babies without panicking about the odd glass of wine or diet coke.

Suzietwo Sun 03-Nov-13 14:37:05

By the third trimester I have drunk up to half a bottle of wine some nights during both my pregnancies, over the course of an evening. I stop when I feel it effecting me.

technosausage Sun 03-Nov-13 20:50:14

Wish I could, even the smell of my partners drink makes me feel sick sad
This is my second pregnancy, with my first I had the odd glass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now