Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nappies

(30 Posts)
PinkWitch803 Sun 06-Oct-13 16:58:44

I am currently toying with the idea of reusable nappies and would love to hear your views, experiences and recommendations.

The only two things that put me off at the moment is the increase of laundry this means and where to hang the nappies out to dry, and the fact they are bigger than disposable nappies which affects the size clothes.

I am pretty sold on disposables for night-times and days out/trips away, but would that defeat the object of the exercise?

mmmm! decisions decisions...

Slippersandacuppa Sun 06-Oct-13 23:01:09

We've used them, and washable wipes, with DS but DD got awful thrush with them. I borrowed different types from friends and washed them in all sorts of ways but nothing helped. She ended up with open wounds on her bum sad The only

Slippersandacuppa Sun 06-Oct-13 23:04:50

Hmm..

Ones that were okay were Naty nappies. I'm much happier using these than normal disposables but plan on using (at least trying!) my cloth nappies on this baby.

perfectstorm Sun 06-Oct-13 23:27:48

Nature Baby have been rebranded to Naty, so if fabric ones fail that's also my recommendation. They're no more expensive than Pampers etc and they are often on special offer.

Hoping I get the use of the fabric ones this time, though. I had no idea Surcare would help his skin so much - we use Napisan when I do a maintenance (empty 95 degree) wash to clean the machine, and like an idiot I got some in the softener drawer without realising. DS had instant red raised rash all over his bum and down his legs before we checked the machine, just like when he was a baby. It's worth using a sensitive skin detergent if you do use washables, I think.

YBR Mon 07-Oct-13 12:53:59

With DD we
- Started her in disposables;
- At around 2mo borrowed the council's trial kit and figured out what to get;
- Started out using disposables when going out, but soon switched to washables for short trips.
This way you can get used to things gradually.

We still use disposables if we're away for more than a day trip (tends to be a holiday) and have spare disposables in the change bag in case she needs more changes than anticipated (because they take up less space).

Do bear in mind the bits & bobs you may want with the nappies too:
Nappy bin(s) (we have 2, but it's not essential)
Wet bag(s) (Waterproof bags for wet/dirty nappy changes when out)
Nappy liners to keep nappy creams off the nappy (we don't need them much)
Washable wipes - if you're washing nappies why not?

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 07-Oct-13 15:25:19

I would disagree with the cost being much the same.

All mine have been in washables and tbh I've given away a few of the expensive brands because I thought they were crap the ones in regular use are the 3.99 and 4.99 each ones of the birth to potty pocket types and I've had no issues with them (apart from when I've inadvertently used harsh washing powder)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now