Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Newborn/0-3m clothes - what do I need?

(56 Posts)
Madratlady Thu 19-Sep-13 22:48:35

Is it necessary to have both newborn and 0-3 month clothes or can babies go straight into 0-3?

If I do need newborn then how many of everything would I realistically need?

What about 0-3? Do I need loads of clothes? I will do washes every few days.

I need to get off eBay before I start buying cute but unnecessary stuff!

AnythingNotEverything Sun 22-Sep-13 10:20:04

Mildred - I'm not sure where you formally learn about layers, but the accepted rule of thumb is one more than you!

Also, (and I know this sounds mean) but baby is better off being a bit cold than too hot. If he/she is too cold, you'll be informed, but if they get too warm it's a real SIDS risk, and they can just fade away. Not wearing a hat allows baby to regulate its temperature (unless it's utterly freezing of course!).

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 22-Sep-13 11:00:02

Thinking back to my first child I'm pretty sure it was on a leaflet that was given to me when I left hospital.

One thing that I do tend to challenge is the hospitals insistence on swaddling and bunging a hat on baby inside the hospital when the heating is set on 'tropical' if your so hot you can't breathe and are getting dizzy your baby does not need a hat indoors.

TarkaTheOtter Sun 22-Sep-13 13:15:39

I agree sock, I was told to "put a bloomin hat on that baby, poor thing" by a midwife in the hospital when I was sure they're not supposed to sleep in hats indoors because of SIDS.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Sun 22-Sep-13 14:04:25

I was told that the recommendation is a hat for the first 24 hours as they are experiencing such a temperature change but only outside after that. No idea if that is right. Agree I didn't in ridiculously over heated hospital though.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 22-Sep-13 14:11:03

I'm quite sure that recommendation is only in a normally heated room.hospital staff tend to forget that the wards they work on maternity wise are so shockingly over heated that its really not needed.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Sun 22-Sep-13 15:55:43

Totally agreesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now