Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Homebirthers - what food to have in for you/partner/midwives ?

(30 Posts)
workingtitle Sun 01-Sep-13 12:22:44

Just working out what we'll need. The midwives have already given us a rider (bacon sandwiches and cake!) but I want to make sure we have lots of options for during/after. Anything I should add to my list..?

Fruit (melon, apple, raspberries)
Bread for toast/bacon sarnies
Pasta (maybe veg lasagne?)
Cheese & biscuits
Greek yogurt & honey
Pizza
Cereal
Haribo

Homemade:
Choc muffins
Banana bread
Granola bars

Drinks:
Tea
Coffee
Coconut water

RunningBear78 Mon 02-Sep-13 17:56:49

Oh balls ... I hadn't thought about this! We've packed a 'just in case' bag of food to take to hospital (first baby and keep changing my mind about being at home) but hadn't thought about fuelling the midwives!

We have enough tea to drown in but are generally a biscuit free house. DH would eat any stores before the mw found them hmm but I guess it would be nice to get something in for them. Will ask when mw comes to visit at home just in case.

workingtitle Mon 02-Sep-13 21:16:51

The food list is primarily for me, if that wasn't clear grin I want to have lots of choice so there's something whatever mood I'm in, even lasagne!
MWs will get their bacon & cake...

Wincher Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:12

I've got a pack of jaffa cakes, a pack of hobnobs and some little cakes for the midwives/Dh. I have two packs of jelly babies, a pack of yoghurt covered raisins and some cartons of ribena for me! Of course there is whatever other food we have in the fridge at the time as well.

Peacenquiet2 Tue 03-Sep-13 07:43:46

Have to say they would'nt be getting much in my household! My dp does'nt cook, and in labour i would'nt be catering to anyone! I
really would'nt worry about it, tea and biscuits is all you need. Midwives should be taking their own food as it is their job, not a day out. They certainly dont get food made for them in the wards beyong the odd cake.
Enjoy your labour and focus on YOU, its one of the few times in life you get to be extremely self centred and noone cares :-)

WentOnABearHunt Tue 03-Sep-13 09:42:36

yeah it is there job - of course - but bear in mind the midwives are on call from 37 weeks to 42 weeks for your homebirth and that call could come at ANY time, even 3am...when they might not have sarnies in the fridge to bring. I'd rather make them some bacon sarnies (well dh!!) than have them faffing about making butties to bring lol. Seriously though, I would never expect food to be provided but I would expect to be offered a cuppa tea! and toast/cake would be very much appreciated by me as a lovely extra. I would like to make guests in my house feel welcome - and if there are there for 12 hours that means offering basic refreshments - but thats just me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now