Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

pregnant, happy but shocked... but covering someone's maternity leave!! :S

(3 Posts)
RachyRoo89 Thu 01-Aug-13 15:51:55

OMG I just found out I am pregnant! I have been feeling sick and headache-y for days, and the doctor tested me 4 hours ago! I'm only 6 weeks gone but I'm still over the moon smile.

My boyfriend is a little shocked but very happy... I think he is worried that I am not happy, but I am... I just feel really rough!

How do you keep this a secret for 12 weeks?! Especially when you feel sick, have to keep working, and are going on hol with just your family 2 days after finding out!

I'm almost 24 and covering someone's maternity cover until December. I LOVE my partner sooooo much but we have only been together 6 months (although I do live with him, and he's 34 and runs his own business, and is so lovely). This doesn't feel real at all. I've been researching maternity allowance (as I won't be entitled to Maternity pay on my contract) but I just don't know where to begin! All I know is that you can receive £137 a week (instead of maternity pay) and if it's your first baby, a £500 starter.

I can't even process the info that a baby will arrive at the end of this! :S

Ahhh!! Please feel free to add your own random bursts of excitement about your own personal stories!! grin join the party! Any maternity benefits info would be great too, cos my temp contract is playing on my mind a bit!

Rockchick1984 Thu 01-Aug-13 16:28:06

Re maternity allowance - you need to have worked 26 weeks out of the 66 weeks prior to your due date and will need to send off payslips to prove this. You won't be eligible for the £500 Surestart maternity grant if your DP is working, its only for families on benefits to help them buy essentials such as a pram, cot etc.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! When are you due? Sounds very similar to when I had my DS - hadn't been together long, total surprise, but best accident ever - we are now married, DS is 2.5 and I'm expecting DC2! It's certainly lifechanging but its amazing too :-)

FobblyWoof Thu 01-Aug-13 16:33:35

congratulations! It sounds like finishing in December will be a good time.

Depending on how much your DP earns and whether you rent your property or not you could look into housibg benefit, tax credits etc. This is what we manage on. Just to give you an idea our incomings work out to about 20,000 per year (most of that coming from DP's job) and we manage with 1 DD. We've got DC2 on the way (due December) and it will be a struggle but doable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now