Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Abuse on Mumsnet

(31 Posts)
swaye Thu 16-May-13 09:44:00

Is it common place?

Ive started a couple of threads on mumsnet pregnancy forum asking for support and whilst the majority of people have been very helpful and supportive there is always a few who want to beat you up and slag you off!

I will not be starting any more threads asking for support for this reason and just stick to asking about factual stuff.

Hopefully i won't get any nasty comments on this post!

Real shame.

Pudgy2011 Thu 16-May-13 15:47:52

Jaysus - just read your other thread OP.

The only abusive person there was you.

Get a grip.

mistlethrush Thu 16-May-13 15:53:25

If you want a site where the only people 'allowed' to post on your thread are ones that agree with you, you're in the wrong place.

I can't find the thread you're referring to. But to answer your question no it is not common place to experience abuse / people slagging you off / wanting to "beat you up" on mumsnet.

As has been mentioned you need to report posts but it seems you may not have covered yourself in glory in how you responded.

I was a hormonal mess during my last pg. it maybe you're feeling overly sensitive. I know I was. I could have started an argument in an empty house.

Mumsnet can be an amazing place, supportive, funny, outspoken and clever.

People are allowed to offer opinions that differ from yours. It's mumsnet, not North Korea.

Why not start again ?

Honey attracts more than vinegar.

piprabbit Thu 16-May-13 16:16:42

swaye, you seem to be joining in on lots of positive and supportive threads, but have had a bit of a run in where a thread didn't turn out as you'd expected. Just hide the thread, forget it and carry on posting, most people are lovely and it would be a shame to miss out on the sense of community on most of the pregnancy threads because you and maybe another poster or two were having bad days.

TBH you were lucky not to get your 'callus' post deleted for being a personal attack, so learn and move on.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-May-13 17:55:24

Hello there OP
Sorry that you feel this way.
Strictly speaking, we ought to delete this thread as it's "a thread about a thread" but we'll leave it for now.
Do have a look at our [http://www.mumsnet.com/info/netiquette talk guidelines]], won't you?
PLEASE report anything you think MNHQ should be looking at, that's what we're here for. We love reports, we do.
Best wishes
MNHQ

Skelosia Thu 16-May-13 18:20:06

I have been a forum user for many, many years, though I am new (ish) to MN.

A few things I have learned over the years:

I use forums where the majority of the people seem to have similar views and values to mine.

If it is a personal or sensitive issue, where an opposing opinion could cause me upset, and I could not trust myself to let it be, I generally wouldn't post about it. Of course, there are times where I have reacted shamefully, but I doubt you will find any forum user who hasn't at least once behaved in a way they wish they hadn't.

You have to take it for what it is. A strangers opinion. If you care that much about strangers opinions, you need to work on your self esteem and confidence. The problem is most likely yours.

Perspective is incredibly important, and remember, there is no tone of voice in the written word.

I have posted a couple of times in various areas on here. I have also had replies that have made me recoil. But I saw them for what they are. Someone else's opinion. And if anyone made anything personal about me, I would definitely fight back, as I don't think anyone on here actually knows me. But I have yet to come across such attacks, on myself or someone else. I like MN because everyone seems to make it clear that it is opinions not fact that they are giving.

I hope you learn from this incident, and remind yourself that we are all strangers (unless some of us aren't!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now