Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First thing I'm going to eat/ drink afterwards...

(47 Posts)
Manc451 Sun 07-Apr-13 16:51:25

So morning sickness is still all day but more survivable and I can imagine enjoying food again. Started obsessing about the things I'm going to tuck into after the birth. So far the list is a) big frosted glass white wine b) pâté and French loaf and c) the ripest hunk of Brie I can get from the local cheese shop. Hmmmmm, mouldy cheese....

FoofFighter Mon 08-Apr-13 10:41:21

Only things I am avoiding is liver, pate and the cheeses we shouldn't be having like Brie.

Really wish people would read up a bit on what exactly they need to worry about, without spouting wrong info to people who take it as gospel - the NHS site is fab. No foo yung for instance?? what a crock of shite!!

[backs away slowly]

juniper9 Sun 07-Apr-13 23:16:07

An ice cold can of Grolsh. Classy, me. My DP suggested sneaking it into the ward, but I'm not sure the midwives would approve...

Pate on French bread with ice cold glass of white wine.

weeblueberry Sun 07-Apr-13 22:01:12

Is surprised at how many things people aren't eating that she's been stuffing her gob with

Pâté with oatcakes and a large gin and tonic at the hospital. Massive plate of liver and bacon when I get home grin

Saundy Sun 07-Apr-13 21:03:59

Actually I'm just looking forward to being able to enjoy a sausage & bacon butty again, I loved them so & now I can't even look at one!!

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Sun 07-Apr-13 21:03:57

Brie and pate. Maybe together.

You can have chorizo cooked, I've had a lot of it this week.

I also definitely asked for well-cooked eggs this morning in a restaurant but they came runny so I ate them. Slight guilt about that but I won't do it again.

sheep, you can have runny yolks so long as the eggs are lion stamped, the whites are all cooked, and the yolks are hot. I asked my Obs consultant a few weeks ago for confirmation.

After reading these, I now want sashimi. sad

lollypopsicle Sun 07-Apr-13 20:08:11

Marmite on toast. Lurve marmite but it gives me raging heartburn along with most other things so can't wait for that savoury goodness smile

Then a Roquefort, Brie and pâté fest washed down with a glass of Rioja.

StiffyByng Sun 07-Apr-13 20:04:27

As I have also been monitoring blood sugars, I've pretty much ignored the forbidden foods list as I can eat so sodding little! Soft cheese and pâté have been my only avoidances, and booze. So my list is a bit different, being a chip butty on crusty white bread and a large glass of white wine. Also an almond croissant.

I've eaten sushi in both my pregnancies, ditto smoked salmon, runny eggs and rare steak. This pregnancy I've gone mad with the hard cheeses and eaten my own weight in salami etc.

sheeplikessleep Sun 07-Apr-13 19:56:13

Runny fried eggs, dripping yolks.
Rare steak.

swaye Sun 07-Apr-13 19:53:14

Sushi, give me sushi. DH has been given orders to bring it to me asap!!!

RJM17 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:50:07

Sounds like a plan!! Thanks!! I will most definately be getting one if these and soon!! Been wanting it for about 5 weeks! Was planning on having it at the weekend as we always have a takeaway at the weekend and then I found out I was pregnant so since then I can't get it out of my head lol x

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Apr-13 19:35:47

sounds like a bit of scaremongering to me. If the egg is fully cooked any salmonella will be killed - if you are worried they havent cooked it properly then take it home and cook it a bit more!

RJM17 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:33:04

That's what I thought but was told by a few different people not to. Have my midwife appointment tomora so will ask her as I am questioning it now and want it even more x

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Apr-13 19:27:28

surely as long as the egg is cooked properly it would be fine to eat. Undercooked eggs may be an issue if they arent lion stamped but if they are fully cooked then any bacteria would be killed anyway

Pudgy2011 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:21:23

Red wine - I had 2 wonderfully large glasses when I came home with DS. It was the first time I was able to enjoy wine throughout my pregnancy without falling asleep after the first sip.

I'm pleased to say I stayed awake throughout both glasses. Lush.

RJM17 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:19:55

The egg in it! I was told I wouldn't be able to have it because you don't know where the eggs are from x

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Apr-13 19:10:46

why cant you have chicken foo yeung?

RJM17 Sun 07-Apr-13 18:55:41

I only have 32 weeks to wait but I have already put my order in for pâté with tiger bread and cheese and chorizo!! I have lready told my DH that I expect this to be at the hospital for my first meal after having the baby!!
And then my second meal will be a chicken foo yeung as I am absolutely dying for this and every time we go past a Chinese I feel like crying because I can't have one!!
It's strange the things you miss tho as these aren't things that I would eat on a regular basis but now I can't have them I want them!! X

The first thing I actually ate was slightly stale white sliced with some butter that was too hard to spread and a plastic pot of long life apple juice. Yum. Elf and Safety have banned toasters in the maternity ward, so that is what they give you after labour. I was so hungry I appreciated it as much as any of the foods others mention

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Apr-13 18:46:02
Msbluesky32 Sun 07-Apr-13 18:36:18

fooffighter really? Nooooooooo........ (I'm 39+6 today, which means I've spent my ENTIRE pregnancy abstaining from sushi) <sobs>

melli you are probably right <logs on to ocado and mentally reserves nice bottle of rosé>

speedyboots Sun 07-Apr-13 18:36:09

Geordie - can't wait!
Msblue - this website is really useful (someone linked to it on another thread). The pdf at the bottom of the page has a useful chart to work out how long the alcohol will take to leave your system.

NewChoos Sun 07-Apr-13 18:22:50

Brie and Prosecco.
Cheesecake (have to monitor blood sugars in pregnancy so had to avoid) - actually sweet stuff in general without the need to feel guilty.

melli Sun 07-Apr-13 18:20:45

Mmm a large glass of red vino. Pate too, not normally that into it but have craved it my entire pregnancy. And msblue I am sure one glass of vino now and then will not affect your supply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now