Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What are you missing from the extensive list of avoid eating....

(95 Posts)
Kateliztmum2be Sun 17-Mar-13 09:45:46

Hi ladies,
Congrats to all expectant mums2 be!
I'm 19+3 with 1st baby and so new experiences every day! However I'm having a huge craving for eggs, not just any eggs, poached eggs with a dippy yolk, (wipes druell from chin) ! It's the only item on the "avoid eating" list I'm really missing! Breakfast just isn't the same with scrambled or an omelette or a, god forbid, dry fry with hard yolk... I was just wandering if I'm alone in my irrational food desires!?
On the flip side I've never been a sweet tooth or fruit eater, but seem to be craving both!? And I'm completely off red and cooked meats, I had to make a sharp exit from the meat aisle of the supermarket!

Are you having any strange cravings or missing anything in particular!?

Just interested in the myths and old wives tales really

Xx

Teaandflapjacks Tue 19-Mar-13 22:23:17

@MyNameIsAnAnagram - thanks for that info!! smile

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 19-Mar-13 21:13:34

I only stopped drinking tea because it seemed to trigger off my morning sickness. I used to have maybe 5 cups a day but even though I can drink the caffiene again, I have lost the taste for it sad I really hope that comes back!

Bodicea Tue 19-Mar-13 20:56:33

I refuse to give up all this stuff. I have been munching on feta and salami quite happily.
The only things I might avoid are alcohol, pate, and completely raw eggs (although I snuck a teeny tiny lick of my backing mixture on sunday).
Can you honestly imagine a French woman giving up her brie?

Mandytm Tue 19-Mar-13 20:42:28

Why is no one drinking tea? You're allowed a couple of cups a day. I would hate to give up tea!

I'm vegetarian so am not missing much, just uncooked brie but there are other good cheeses to discover.

I enjoy tea, wine (in moderation), the odd small coffee, runny eggs and peanut butter. I never liked fizzy drinks and always avoid processed food so aspartame isn't missed at all.

My iron level on my last blood test was 13.6 so meat isn't essential for avoiding anaemia during pregnancy. I get most of my iron from peanut butter, tofu and lots of dark green veg.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Tue 19-Mar-13 14:31:56

you can have a large glass, that will be fine, just don't get bladdered. From Kellymom: "Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom’s blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom’s body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels."

Teaandflapjacks Tue 19-Mar-13 14:02:30

I know you can have a smidge - but it is very minimal really since the alcohol goes straight into the milk, which then goes straight into the baby, so if the body clear at 1-2 units per hour, and you have a small glass wine, then you should be ok to feed a few hours later. To be on the safe side I will just express then I know for sure it is ok, and can enjoy a large glass.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/958.aspx?CategoryID=54#close

MyNameIsAnAnagram Tue 19-Mar-13 13:19:21

teaandflapjacks you know you can drink when bf, right?

glossyflower Tue 19-Mar-13 13:06:33

Maybe people should back off criticising hopefuls husband! Their marriage is not the subject here but as far as I can see he's just a concerned husband who wants what he thinks best for his wife and baby.
My husband sometimes does the same, sometimes I humour him because I know he means well and wants to help sometimes I tell him where to go!
I realise we are in the 21st century and women should stand up for themselves but in a healthy marriage it's called team work and you respect your partners opinions not just pooh pooh them because its not something you want to do, and before you independent ladies jump on me I mean this to work both ways from the man and woman.
Mutual respect.

kd83 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:40:26

i'm with you on the runny eggs, by far the biggest thing I'm missing so far but only 10+3 so there's plenty of time for the rest to kick in too.

Teaandflapjacks Tue 19-Mar-13 11:37:51

I do tuck into my tea though - you can't get decaf tea here in germany, and it is totally fine to have two mugs a day of normal tea. I can't tell the difference with decaff coffee. I have half a cow's worth of milk in my tea so sometimes I have three on a weekend spaced throughout the day. If it is weak 'non-Builders' tea it is fine to have a few cups- if you sit thee knocking back a few strong expressos then you need to cut back - caffeine in sensible doses is fine OP - so sup away!!

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/limit-caffeine-during-pregnancy.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=130

p.s. I think it is good of your DH to take a real interest in the pg, and perhaps he is being a bit 'over caring' here? As the medical advice for caffeine and red meat is contrary I think to his view? Red meat (cooked) is really important. I have low iron (fairly common) taking the supplements but it is still low. Your blood increases by 1/3 - and your baby takes what iron it needs first, leaving you whacked if you are not careful. A nice juicy steak, if you can keep it down, is very, very good for you. grin

vladthedisorganised Tue 19-Mar-13 10:38:21

So glad to hear about stilton - my GP said 'absolutely not' and I've really, really wanted it ever since.
Couldn't smell wine or coffee last time so didn't really miss either (I mean espresso rather than instant coffee) - unfortunately I can smell both this time in glorious technicolour and miss them so much.. due in October so it'll be ages.

Decaf tea is not really the same, but I've been quite good about cutting down on my beloved caffeine so far. Makes me a grouchy so and so though.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Tue 19-Mar-13 10:25:04

I don't eat liver or shellfish or blue cheese. (Because i dont fancy eating them) Everything else that I fancy eating is still being consumed. I've decided after 20+ weeks of sickness that I'm not starving myself for a guideline.

HotSoupDumpling Tue 19-Mar-13 10:11:41

HopefullA - I started off like you, and indulged my DH's dictatorial tendencies! However, I've now seen the light and he now knows that I will take his preferences into consideration but ultimately it's my body and he can bugger off.

Flisspaps Tue 19-Mar-13 09:53:59

HopefullA With respect and regardless of who is what religion, it's not your husband's place to be 'strict' with you. You are an adult woman who is perfectly capable of deciding what you can and cannot eat.

HazleNutt Tue 19-Mar-13 09:49:47

Honestly, pretty much only things I don't eat are rare meat, liver and pate - but mostly because I don't eat meat in the first place. And I don't drink diet coke. Yes, listeriosis is serious, but you can get it from anything - last serious listeriosis outbreak was caused by melons, but we're not advised to stop eating fruit.

badguider Tue 19-Mar-13 09:38:18

I prefer to think of it as not a "banned" list but a list of things to take extra care with.
The reasons are vitaminA (liver), listeria and salmonella... the advice is simplified to make it easy to understand but you should think carefully about it if you really want something or have time to research it.

As I said, the egg thing is the only one that really bugs me, other advice is just simplified - so for example the 'no pate of any sort at all' advice is because pate can carry bacteria but if like my MIL, you cook your own salmon and make it into pate fresh that morning it hasn't become any more likely to carry bacteria after it was smooshed up than it did before. Same for vege pate and any that doesn't contain liver, if it's fresh made it's not the same.

And oysters which are deep fried and hot are fine to eat as any potential bacteria will be killed, same with any kind of cheese.

OohShinyChocolateHollowBunnies Tue 19-Mar-13 09:28:02

Deli meats were on the banned last a few months ago. I have denied myself a subway sandwich for 9 months to find the bloody nhs changed thir minds in January! angry

I'm overdue now and can't wait for my DH to bring me lashings of pâté on toast and I'm saving a footlong subway as a reward for giving birth!

cjbk1 Tue 19-Mar-13 09:20:13

I'm still on the decaf tea while BF'ing out of habit more than anything and I don't notice the difference, try it! only thing is; if I have a strong caffeinated cuppa while out and about it gives me a slight headache x

oh damn, wrong way round, let's try that again

No need to give up chocolate.

[[ http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4854-chocolate-in-pregnancy-keeps-baby-happy.html No need to give up chocolate!]] grin

HopefullA Tue 19-Mar-13 08:29:35

hehehe not a chance - plus i gave up chocolate for new year and still havent broken it and he scoffing the chocolates in his mouth!

Though now im makign fresh fruit smoothies in the morn to have with my cereal so he is loving this new smoothies for his brekkie. I didnt feel like doing all the chopping this morn so just had cereal and he made such a face when i didnt bring him his smoothie!
Silly boys!

HopefullA, is your DH sticking to this strict diet too? Surely he should be, to support you in this? grin

HopefullA Tue 19-Mar-13 04:31:32

Thanks ladies. Its fine though i'm gagging for a cuppa tea. I did buy some decaf tea but haven't worked up to it yet, scared i wont like it so might just drink it when i'm desperate.

My hubbie and I are different religions and he has gone quite strict on the meat malarky but i said - ugh im irish, i need my red meat. its fine, i will have it soon when i need it. Dont want to exclude his ideas either as this was a surprise pregnancy and he is being quite excited about it so i want it to continue!!

I feel grand though, thank god. just exhausted non stop and terrible back ache- hoping it wont last forever...

Teaandflapjacks Mon 18-Mar-13 22:43:04

TBH - it is 9 months of your life, the most advice is fairly sensible. I think it is a bit rich to say people are trying 'to control' women. IMO they are trying to keep you and baby safe based on latest scientific research - and if they keep you and bump healthy and safe when pg what is that hard about avoiding alcohol, some cheeses, pate and raw meat? There are plenty of ways to get round them too - alcohol free beer, cooking cheese, cooking chorizo and hams like parma, cooking meat through but slicing really thinly or slow cooking. For me it was a year of trying and one early mc, so I will follow whatever I am told. I know loads and loads of people who don't follow all this and everything is totally fine, but there are also the unlucky few, so I just want to stack the decks in my favour.

DH has excitedly planned a sofa 'picnic' for me when the baby comes, with all the things I have been avoiding . Crusty baguette with fresh pate, really runny brie, pink steak, plates of parma ham, really decent red wine. I plan on expressing - so hopefully I can have a large glass half bottle with picnic and DH can do the feeding with bottle while I splurge. grin

processed meats and cooked seafood are not on the banned list though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now