Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Question on Maternity Exemption Certificate

(12 Posts)
PhieEl06 Wed 20-Feb-13 11:15:29

Mainly how long did it take for you to receive yours?
I sent mine off through my doctors surgery 4 weeks ago now, still had nothing, gave the surgery a ring last week, they are a bit rubbish & thought it was a likely option that they just hadn't bothered to send it off yet, but they are certain it had been sent as its not there or with the midwife.
I've also sent an email to enquires to do with mat exemption certificate to their email query address still had no reply.

Should I contact my midwife at all? I don't really want to bother her when my query is so trivial & she is probably very busy but I have a prescription to pick up & a dentists appointment & not that I'm tight or anything but very reluctant to pay when they are covered under maternity exemption.

rainand Wed 20-Feb-13 12:38:23

My pharmacy accepted my word and gave it for free when my certificate hadn't arrived. Worth a try?

rainand Wed 20-Feb-13 12:40:11

Or show them your maternity book?

TwitchyTail Wed 20-Feb-13 12:40:20

Mine only took a week or so from being sent off. If it's been 4 weeks, I would chase the GP surgery again, or if they continue to be rubbish, get a new form from your midwife.

I've not needed to show mine yet

lovethesun1 Wed 20-Feb-13 13:33:44

I would chase,mine came back within a wk or 2. But would second trying to get your prescription without the card-take your mat notes as a backup & explain drs have had to re-order card. I've never once been asked for my card.

sundaesundae Wed 20-Feb-13 13:36:17

If you ask for a receipt (a big form they give you) you can reclaim the charges once it turns up. No-one has let me off without seeing the card and I am nearly 36 weeks!

birdofthenorth Wed 20-Feb-13 13:49:07

It is backdated a month from the date they receive it so definitely keep your receipts and take them back. I did this -pharmacist (Tesco) was fine about it. I reckon your's should have arrived now though. Mine came within a fortnight. With DD1 I remember it taking an age though.

PhieEl06 Wed 20-Feb-13 13:58:08

Well I sent my boyfriend to get my prescription as I'm at work, I did tell him make sure you get a receipt, what does he do, forgets. If you want something done properly do it yourself!! Will give the surgery another chase as they seem to misplace everything & if not will ask my midwife for another form.

Runswithsquirrels Wed 20-Feb-13 19:29:44

Mine took ages, at least over four weeks.

CityDweller Wed 20-Feb-13 19:45:58

Mine took ages, but even when I had it the times I needed to use it (dentist, chemist) they didn't actually ask to see it... I'd told the dentist I was pregnant at the check-up and she wrote it on my notes, so the receptionist didn't charge me and the prescription at chemist was for something pg related (or, at least, it was for the flu jab, which I'd got prescription to pick up from dr and perhaps he wrote on that that I was pg?).

So, you could just try telling them your pg if you need to claim exemption before it arrives?

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Wed 20-Feb-13 19:55:12

Mine was back within a week. I'd chase up with your mw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now