Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Blood sugar test-advice needed

(31 Posts)
StiffyByng Tue 12-Feb-13 14:50:22

I've just had the results of my screening blood test back and have been referred for an OGTT. The number was 9.4 which I know is high, and I'm pretty freaked out. But the blood was taken less than an hour after I'd eaten a bowl of Special K and a banana. From googling it seems that this level an hour after eating would suggest glucose intolerance rather than GD, although of course I have no idea what the two hour result would have been. But can anyone with experience of monitoring blood sugar tell me if this result, less than an hour after eating what I now realise is a pretty sugary breakfast, dooms me to GD? I was 26+6 on the day of the blood test.

spinaltap Tue 26-Feb-13 20:51:01

Too right it's scaremongering! The still birth comment was the only thing about it she mentioned to me so I've had to go away and google for myself. I'm not terribly keen on this midwife... smile

Sorry to hear they've been stressing you out. Your consultant sounds good though. Hope you get your home birth!

StiffyByng Tue 26-Feb-13 20:16:37

Hi Spinal

I've been having an aggravating time as was discharged on Friday and then the nurse had second thoughts and recalled me. I attended the horrible clinic today and it was all quite stressful. However, the consultant obstretician was very good indeed and very down to earth about me having a very mild case. He was happy for me to have a home birth still as long as everything stays diet-controlled. The diabetic consultant was more dramatic but I found the experience as a whole very frustrating.

The risk of stillbirth is very, very slightly higher with GD and some doctors dispute the link altogether. Don't let them scare you. What this thing boils down to is your body's hormones not producing enough insulin temporarily. 80% of women regulate it with diet alone and if you have your blood sugar under control, you mitigate any problems anyway. I take big issue with the blanket diagnosis of gestational diabetes anyway. I think it's scaremongering and causes unnecessary stress and upset.

spinaltap Tue 26-Feb-13 11:47:04

I've just had my urine tested by the midwife (am 23 weeks, 2nd baby) and the reading was very high. She hasn't put the actual figures in my notes, just "+++ glucose". I really hope it's a one-off, as I had just had a piece of toast with chocolate spread on!

MW really scared me though by saying GD causes stillbirth and I'll have to have consultant led care, which round here appears to rule out the home birth I wanted.
Going back for another urine test on thurs, and then it's the GTT.

I'm glad to hear that home birth is possible, stiffy, and from other posters that GD really isn't the end of the world. From what my midwife said and the nhs web page on GD I was getting really upset!

StiffyByng Thu 21-Feb-13 15:15:25

Just wanted to update this. I saw the diabetes nurse yesterday - bit of a delay as I was away for a bit. She was very sensible and listened to my concerns. My random blood test and my HBA1c test results were both within normal levels yesterday morning and as my results from the GTT were borderline, she decided I should do three days of finger pricking and if my levels continued to be normal, I could be discharged and declared non-diabetic. I'm two days in and all results are well within normal ranges, other than one, which made no sense at all as if it was right, my blood sugar went down after eating rather than up (I think I messed up the test!), so I'm very hopeful that I can have a stress-free pregnancy.

I have gone back to my healthy low-GI ways and feel better for it all round, and it's obviously helped my blood sugar settle down a bit.

I was heartened though that my very lovely midwives were already mobilising an action plan to make sure I could have a homebirth even with GD. So it is possible!

Countmyblessings Wed 13-Feb-13 21:32:25

Thank You - never had this before and in my last 2 pregnancies got tested and was all clear, so I already decided I wasn't going to do it this time, its just added stress I don't need now!
Thanks Ladies - take care x

StiffyByng Wed 13-Feb-13 20:51:04

Countmyblessings, you might want to google but I'm pretty sure I've read that GTT after 36 is contraindicated as so many women are having insulin issues by then.

StiffyByng Wed 13-Feb-13 20:49:03

The WHO diagnoses at 7. Our hospital diagnoses at 6 and doesn't do a one hour so I'd have been very borderline for them. I was tested as part of a CAN research project which then refers to the hospital, and they diagnose at 5 and include all three results.

I am putting great hope in the fact that my two hour result was pretty much normal after drinking so much fizzy stuff and my fasting was borderline with me stressed and virtually sleepless. If I take my diet back to my pre-preg fairly saintly low-GI regime, I have everything crossed I can control with diet and have my home birth.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 13-Feb-13 20:32:55

I might be wrong, haven't worked in clinic for years but could have sworn anything over 7 failed, under 7 on either test passed.

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 20:32:30

I have to say even though I'm t1 I don't envy people with GD/t2 as getting to grips with insulin and injecting during a pregnancy must be very, very stressful. It's horrendous as it is for me and I really should know the score by now.

Isn't it strange your second son was bigger than your GD baby! The mind boggles. I should have probably mentioned mind...yes DS was quite a normal 9lb <whispers> but that was at 37 weeks...

Midori1999 Wed 13-Feb-13 20:24:23

Viva isn't a fasting of over 6 a 'fail'? I failed mine at 24 weeks last time with a fasting of 6.1 and two hourly of 8.1 so only just, but I was on quite a lot of insulin by the end.

Mylittlepuds, my baby when I had GD was actually smaller than when I didn't. My second son was 10lb born at 38 weeks and they tested me and said I didn't have it. I was insulin controlled last time and found it hard to keep up with increasing it in the end tbh. I did laugh when the nurse asked of I minded 'injecting' myself though as I also have to inject myself with heparin and the needle for that is nasty!

Flisspaps Wed 13-Feb-13 20:23:30

As long as you are making an informed decision then it isn't a reckless one (IMO)

If a urine test later on suggests GD (when you've not just eaten) would you reconsider?

Countmyblessings Wed 13-Feb-13 20:10:47

Sorry to butt in not got much knowledge of this but am 36 weeks and had MW today done a urine sample which triggered her to want to send me to get a gtt test, but this was sample was taken after I had ermmm hot choc & toasted bagel covered in choc spread!!!! So clearly sugar would be present! I refused as I'm stressed enough and can't deal with more worries! Am I being silly and reckless!!!
Also baby still not down and they are talking C.Section!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 13-Feb-13 20:07:01

In our hospital you'd have passed, we don't do a one hour one.

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 20:01:55

Quite - I've hit 17 quite a few times this pregnancy. We don't worry about it. T1s are told that it's your average over three months that really matters baby wise (called your HBA1C). My last baby was a non freaky 9lb so not too bad considering some lots of pretty scary blood tests.

It will be a pain if you have it though. If you need any help getting to grips with insulin feel free to message me!

Midori1999 Wed 13-Feb-13 19:30:16

Stiffy, I didn't have a one hour blood test before, just the fasting and two hour ones. Those levels aren't too bad, so maybe you can control with diet? You can only try. The good thing is you will get extra monitoring, so you can keep your baby safe, which is better than being undiagnosed.

Mylittlepuds, I think when you have GD they make such a big deal out of staying in targets that you get a bit panicked if they go over. I know I had a major panic over a reading of 11.2 the first time, but when I was chatting to a couple of friend who are type 1, they said they'd love to have a reading of 11.2, let alone in pregnancy.

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 19:25:06

Just to make you feel a bit better...I'm T1 diabetic and an hour after eating am around 13 grin. I win!

StiffyByng Wed 13-Feb-13 16:13:17

Fasting was 6.3. Two hour was 6.7. The one hour was 11.4 though. The WHO would pass me!

I hope your test is OK though. And congratulations!

Midori1999 Wed 13-Feb-13 15:23:51

Sorry to hear that. Did they tell you your readings?

I will be tested at 12 weeks this time and am doomed to fail as my fasting sugars were 6.9 yesterday and 7.5 today. Annoying!

StiffyByng Wed 13-Feb-13 15:07:04

I have flunked the test. Here comes the finger pricking.

StiffyByng Tue 12-Feb-13 20:03:31

I'm on the homebirth.org mailing list so I've had a good look. I'm not convinced that the risks to a baby with a mother with diagnosed, controlled GD are any greater than the risks of a large baby in general, and I'm perfectly willing to have scans etc to check on the baby.

Is there not the Insulin Resistant label, which seems to be the pregnant equivalent of pre diabetic? There certainly seem to be three categories in the tables I've seen.

I keep reading that you're meant to 'carb-load' for 2-3 days before the GTT or the results aren't reliable, but this is from US sites I think. Are things different over here? I've had all the advice, thanks, including not to smoke(!).

I've realised I can't compare my random blood test result (30 mins after a ripe banana and bowl of Special K) to the one hour test ranges as the one hour test presumably has far more sugar in it and so I'm likely to be higher on the GTT rather than anything else. That makes me sad.

I guess I'll know tomorrow.

lotsofcheese Tue 12-Feb-13 18:43:05

Yes, a reading of 9.4 is high - however the only way of diagnosing GDM is through the OGTT. It will confirm if you have GDM or not - there are no "pre-diabetic" states in pregnancy - it's either GDM or not.

You're advised to eat normally in the days leading up to the OGTT - realise it's a bit late for that advice given you're having the test tomorrow! Assuming you've had advice re:fasting before the test & staying in the waiting room during the test period (ie no walking/shopping/working)?

If you have GDM, that will have implications for your pregnancy care & delivery. One thing at a time though!

Good luck for tomorrow.

Guntie Tue 12-Feb-13 18:36:02

Oh no! I feel for you. I hope it all works out. I have my GTT in a few weeks and I am petrified. I hope it all works out for you.

Flisspaps Tue 12-Feb-13 18:32:52

If you do have GD and want a homebirth, have a read of Angela Horn's site - www.homebirth.org.uk

StiffyByng Tue 12-Feb-13 18:29:32

I've got the OGTT tomorrow.

Mixxy Tue 12-Feb-13 16:45:22

Stress really should not impact a glucose reading all that much. If you think there was an error in the testing ask for a hemoglobin A1C test to clarify any potential misreadings.

But you really need to follow up with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now