Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

MOH100 Mon 25-Mar-13 22:45:12

belle that's fantastic, weird but brilliant especially after your horror fortnight.

waves you poor thing, what's your meds regime like, have they tried you on steroids yet? Your dcs sound like little darlings.

hotcross how are things, have you managed to get any meds, or any sense out of your midwife? It should be illegal to utter the word ginger to a sick pregnant woman. I hope things are better at home

ducks it's so tempting to try and do all the normal busy mum things, but boy do you pay for it. I hope the kids will understand if you have a quiet Easter.

lotta did you get your sick leave sorted, I hope you're feeling better, stress just doesn't help at all, and even the thought of those work conversations can make you feel awful.

flo it's terrible when you manage to eat and then throw it up, I used to cry at the thought of all those calories wasted, it's such a game trying to figure out how much you can get your stomach to accept and keep down.

I hope everyone's coping in the snow, it just adds to the misery if you can't get to the doctor when you need to or have to worry about getting to A&E should you have a crisis.

hotcrosbum Tue 26-Mar-13 17:03:13

I have done a full day at uni today and I feel like death. They have been really understanding though. I had a risk assessment done today and I have to take a break from class every 20 mins. My classmates have been amazingly supportive as well. I am only 7 weeks, but I had to tell them, especially as I have to keep running out of the room to be sick.

Not in tomorrow, thank goodness, then only half a day thursday and then two glorious weeks off for easter, no uni, no school run, heaven!

I have a drs appointment next week, dh is coming with me, I will talk to her about meds then.

When dh was being a shit on saturday, he accused me of wanting to run off and throw drugs down my throat before trying natural things. I wanted to kill him for that.

MOH100 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:57:51

hotcross if you want him whacked, you just say the word.

hotcrosbum Wed 27-Mar-13 07:38:28

Don't tempt me!

Poor thing has my cold now - diddums. He's just left for work moaning about how awful he feels, how he's going to bed as soon as he walks in tonight.

This despite the bastard telling me all week to stop moaning and try and look happy even though I feel like I am going to die. Maybe I should tell him the same.

He's pissed off because I am not in uni today, ds is being picked up for school by his friends dad, so I am having the unexpected treat of not having to get up and rush around this morning. I could feel the resentment resonating from his every pore as he left.

We have a first scan saturday. Am hoping that seeing the baby (I know there is not much to see at 8 weeks, but still) will actually make him realise this is real and not just something I am moaning about.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 27-Mar-13 09:57:45

I bloody well would tell him the same. His hypocrisy is unbelievable. How dare he resent you for getting some rest ffs. It is appalling.

fl0b0t Wed 27-Mar-13 10:57:49

Grrrrr <I quietly seethe about hotcross's husband....>

I officially did too much yesterday. I am admitting that. I worked a full day at home but took a 2 hour lunchbreak to go on a cycle ride (I miss riding my bike so much) and visit a friend with a gorgeous baby for a cuppa). I have felt like death since about 5pm yesterday sad

Lotta1234 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:04:36

flobot easily done. As my dr says, "rest is best."

Have seen dr and reason for relapse was a sinus infection. Phewf. Signed off for a bit longer so taking it easy.

chocciemousse Wed 27-Mar-13 16:14:17

Hi ladies. I haven't been on a while as we were up visiting the outlaws inlaws over the weekend and have needed the past two days to recuperate. After being very embarrassed being sick into a bin on the high street on Friday, I had managed to keep everything down until today. I hadn't even managed breakfast this morning before I was making friends with the porcelain crown.

Hotcross I too am joining the list of angry women as to the way your husband is treating you. Hopefully your scan will give him a bit of a wake up call.

fl0b0t Thu 28-Mar-13 17:26:42

Hey all, how we getting on?

I (ARGH I AM SO STUPID) forgot to take my medication last night as I was tired (again) and have felt awful today.

Mostly on the sofa eating grapes after half a day in work........ Travelling to a friends housewarming tomorrow (100 miles away).... I've been a bad friend and not seen her for ages.... so I've just got to go. Saturday, I'm sleeping.

littleducks Thu 28-Mar-13 18:42:03

Seems like tales if woe all round recently hmm. In on my phone so sorry bit to reply individually. I was readmitted after another 4+ score at MW appointment/scan yesterday. Scan also put me back to 11.4 wks gone, I had been thinking I was a minimum of 12/13, but if a blow as means sickness will continue longer.

Managed to get discharged, against drs better judgement but i was persuasive and was allowed at 3+ (they prefer you to be 2+ before discharge) as kids holidays start today and I don't want to be stuck in over weekend.

Apparently I have a uti (from dehydration and not urinating much??) so been prescribed antibiotics too.

Hello Lovely Ladies. I've been away for a bit (interesting staying in a room without ensuite as they mucked up our bookings hmm). I'm 25 weeks today and am having good and bad days. Interestingly, I saw the midwife yesterday who suggested that she took some blood to test for thyroid problems because it's linked with hyperemesis. It's common to have no thyroid symptoms but just have the HG apparently. It's de me wonder if anyone else has been tested and why all women with HG aren't tested for thyroid problems?

MOH100 Thu 28-Mar-13 20:53:11

flobot nooo don't do it if you're really not up to it. You're not a bad friend, you're ill!! So understand the bike deprivation too, I gave it up in pregnancy more because I was scared of getting knocked off, as has happened before, then haven't plucked up courage to put DD on back of bike due to madness of drivers around here, so haven't cycled much post pregnancy either.

hotcross really wonder what your DH's problem is, has he really assimilated the HG website info? if he had he'd put a sock in it about eating and stop all the resentful shit. Shame you have to wait to see doc, at least you can rest over the long weekend.

littleducks maybe the scan date's wrong, they're not always gospel. It's soul destroying when it seems to add a week to your HG sentence.

choccie why do inlaws have that special sick making ability? and oh dear, public puking, you just feel like you can't sink any lower at times like that.

I hope everyone can have a decent holiday weekend. Get someone to buy you a super big luxury egg and keep it somewhere safe and scoff it in a oner as soon as you give birth.

Morning everyone.... Hope you are bearing up ok. I risked a cup of tea this morning. Big mistake! I'll be spending most of the weekend up at hospital with DCs in tow. There is now talk of a picc line rather than 4 day cannula changes but I'm still hoping to get better and not need it. We shall see.....

My Stbxh moved out yesterday. Trying to get my head round it all, and manage the practicalities of daily life whilst poorly and with a cannula in which restricts what I can physically do. Thankfully my DCs are little angels and are being super helpful.

22 weeks now, and still praying for some respite at some point. At least the IV ondansetron gives me a few hours when I can manage food so I've stopped losing weight!

MOH100 Fri 29-Mar-13 11:59:25

waves oh my god, you poor thing. Don't have words for your stbxh, its despicable. Sorry if you've already tried this, but have you tried Home Start? www.home-start.org.uk/ I've heard of them helping women with HG, a volunteer comes to the house and can just amuse your children or help tidy up or whatever you need, even just for some company and a bit of respite. I think you have to have child or children under 5.

LucindaE Fri 29-Mar-13 18:29:13

Hello, Everyone back at last from Bucks. MOH has been doing a wonderful job (smile. I did see Waves post and I am so sorry that it had to come to this, even though it may be the best thing in the long run. Sending all sorts of hugs and sympathy and can't better MOHs advice that that group might be useful, and I believe the Pregnancy Sickness Support people any time you feel you need practical help too. I am outraged about your OH's behaviour and HotCrossbums OH too, but my ranting helps nobody.
I'll be catching up on the thread now. Hope Everyone isn't suffering too much over Easter.
Lucinda
xx

HumphreyCobbler Fri 29-Mar-13 18:35:50

Hello everyone.

So sorry to hear this waves. Hang on in there. You must be so proud of your dc.

Hope you are doing ok Hotcrossbum.

I have been much better, but then I only had a mild case. I am taking one dose of promethezine each night before bed and it seems to stop the worst of my symptoms, although I am still sick most evenings and have nausea. I think I was really helped by the advice on this thread to seek help early on.

sending positive vibes to all of you who are suffering this vile condition.

littleducks Fri 29-Mar-13 19:17:18

waves- that must be tough, and much as my gut instinct is that you are better off without him I expect it is far more complicated emotionally for you.

Does anyone know anything about taking steroids to prevent the sickness? (have i already asked this i think i might have). So far I'm on Cyclizine, Metoclopramide and Rantidine. I alternate the cyclizine and meoclopramide taking both three times a day. This seems like alot and they dont really work. The consultants mentioned steroids but nobody else has since.

We have a cleaner for 2 hours a week since i found out i was pg. It is helping enormously (more than the drugs tbh) especially since dh gets stressed and narky if the house is messy (he doesnt get cross awith me just generally cross and an atmosphere develops). It is £16 a week which I would hav ethought expensive now but honestly it is so worth it, stops me pushing myself to far trying to make the place nice and feeling worse.

LucindaE Fri 29-Mar-13 20:23:00

OK, a bit updated...
Littleducks I am shocked they let you go home at 3+, they usually admit at that. I hope you've got those pesky ketones down a bit, since? What is meds situation? I hope no more fainting?
Flo Are you still forcing yourself into work:
RoomHow awful, no convenient puking facilties, that is not nice...
ChoccieBelated sorry about Public Puking, bins seemed to be my speciality, it is so humiliating.
Lotta Are yiou signed off, not sure?
Waves and Hotcrossbums As below, hugs.
Belle Belatedly, I am so glad you feel so much better, but sorry you spent a horrendous two weeks without any support we could give on the thread.
Humphrey I am so glad you feel better, too.
I can't believe how people manage work/children/marital breakups/travelling etc when suffering.
Apologies to anyone rudely ignored.
Lucinda
xx

Tallyra Fri 29-Mar-13 21:03:43

littleducks I had steroids twice. I can't help with long term situations as I miscarried at about 9 weeks each of the 3 times, but I can say that the steroids definitely seemed to be part of the winning mixture of drugs.
the first time round I was ridiculously sick and went from a size 12 to a 10 in the 12 weeks of the pregnancy (mmc at 9) despite only being sick for 6 of them. the second time I had steroids at about 7.5 weeks and the third from 7. each time the sickness started easing after the course of steroids started to kick in. the downside is that you have to reduce them gradually and after the mc my hg went and it increased my appetite so much I gained weight, but I don't think that will be a problem if you are still pregnant and feeling a bit ill still.

littleducks Fri 29-Mar-13 21:13:59

Thanks for the info tallyra shame to hear about the mcs, i have had two as well......i find it really tough when drs say the sickness is a sign of a strong pregnancy, possibly true for others but BS in my case.

LucindaE- im currently negative for ketones (got myself some testing strips from chemist). I am taking thiamine now too, disgusting to swallow but might actually be helping. Dr did warm me i might have to go back in but I figured that as long as im pg that is a possibility. I find the hospital tough, dh cant visit as kids not allowed, kids obv cant visit, food is beyond crap, bathroom is ensuite for a two patient room so I'm retching and vomiting in clear hearing distance while the poor person in the bed next to me is trying to eat and the nurses either ignore me or panic about something (often my BP) and start waking me up repeatedly for tests.

flobot- did you make it to friends party?

MOH100 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:48:48

littleducks I know quite a few women who've had steroids and have found them a godsend. They usually try ondansetron before steroids though, has nobody mentioned it? Well done on getting a cleaner, I think women with HG should get them on the NHS.

Tallyra Fri 29-Mar-13 22:05:00

ooh MOH that's a fantastic idea! I could do with a cleaner now and I'm not even ill, but when hg hits, its almost impossible to clean.

I think that I was offered ondansetron the second time, and definitely the third, before or in tandem with the steroids so it seems the mixture was good - not sure if it was one or the other or both.

Nexus6 Fri 29-Mar-13 22:49:42

uuughh man, HG has reared its ugly head again. I've been on cyclizine this whole time, I'm now 26 weeks and maybe because the hormone levels are changing (?) I feel really rubbish again.

I've learnt my lesson from last time and Im making sure Im drinking loads of water...

Is it ok to say I really hate being pregnant?!?

Im so excited about getting closer to see our little baby but this is crazy the way I feel. It was made worse after having sex today, poor DH must be having it tough because we haven't been very physical due to my HG...............

honeymoonmum Sat 30-Mar-13 08:18:01

Anyone still on this thread?

littleducks Sat 30-Mar-13 08:26:43

You ok honeymoonmum?

I feel a bit blush mentioning the cleaner but honestly it has stopped me going insane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now