Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby boy clothes.

(33 Posts)
SammyFirstBaby Thu 03-Jan-13 18:26:00

After finding out I'm having a boy yay, iv been looking around in asda, primark, tescos ect and not really finding anything nice.
Primarks very boring, and has very basic stuff.
Are all shops like this?
Iv got some basic blue vests, and some brown and white ones..
But I'm on a budget and I would like some proper boy-ish stuff..
Also, could anyone possibly ( for a new time mother with no family ) write a list of clothes, ages and how many I need?
I really have no idea sad
Thank you smile xx

If it helps.. Me and my partner are very into skinny jeans, patterned jumpers, vans ect.. That sort of skater style, not gothic though smile

babynelly2010 Fri 04-Jan-13 18:11:26

pumkinpatch
vertbaudet.co.uk
http://www.laredoute.co.uk/
DPAM this one is french store but ships to UK

bogwoppitinatree Fri 04-Jan-13 14:58:56

Get on Freecycle! I have two huge bags of gorgeous clothes from there for nothing. Just search Freecycle in your area - there are often baby items on there. I also have various bags of clothes/items from friends who have recently had babies.I don't see the point in buying clothes which are only going to fit for a matter of weeks. Maybe the odd special thing but there is so much out there that goes to waste...

FoofFighter Fri 04-Jan-13 14:54:24
TwitchyTail Fri 04-Jan-13 14:45:07

I've found the nicest boy stuff in M&S and Next. Haven't used it yet so can't comment on how it fits or holds up to washing etc, but have heard good things.

Emsyboo Fri 04-Jan-13 12:53:16

M&S have skinny jeans ATM my DS is so chunky the poor love can't get them over his thighs lol
At first you won't need that much clothes clothes just baby grows etc but nice to have show off clothes for visitors or outings.
I agree with above on eBay got all my DS clothes (apart from presents) for his first 6 months and there are some really good bundles around if you can find a seller with your taste then you can get some great deals they are usually very good condition as babies grow out of them before they can get too worn and as they aren't that active don't get the ripped knees and scuffs like older boys clothes smile
Good luck and congratulations on your boy - boys are so loving and fun my boy has Me in stitches every day x

honeytea Fri 04-Jan-13 11:55:01

I would say you should buy some newborn clothes, we didn't buy any as we knew we were having a big baby but a friend gave us a bag of newborn clothes and my mum bought us a pack of asda white babygrows and they fit ds perfectly despite him being 10 pounds at birth. He is 2 weeks old now and 10 pounds 5oz and still in the newborn size. He is very long and thin so maybe that is why they fit him well.

I love him in the white babygrows he just looks so adorable. I find a vest with soft trousers and thick socks the easiest option for day times.

DS pukes and has poo explosion nappies many times a day so we have to change him 3-5 times in 24 hours. We have used all the clothes we have many times and the washing machine is gong constantly.

Scandinavian brands tend to have funky boy stuff, H+M is the easiest to get in the uk but polarn och pyret is lovely but a little pricy. They probably have a sale on at the moment. Molo is my favorite baby clothes brand, I bought most of my molo and pop clothes second hand it is easy to get them as I live in Sweden but you could try e-bay for some bargains smile

www.babyshop.com/molo_outlet/s/427#filter={44:[22457]}

polarnopyret.co.uk/newborn-bodysuits

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 04-Jan-13 11:38:09

I have a DS just turned 2yo and I am always moaning about the lack of choice of decent clothes for young boys out there. I used to like GAP and Next but they seem to have gone down the line of covering everything with skulls, logos or suchlike which I absolutely hate for babies.

My favourite places to buy DS' baby clothes were Boden (with discount codes!), Monsoon (not much choice, but lovely), John Lewis, H&M, Debenhams and Zara. The supermarkets are have some good stuff but I don't have any with clothes depts near me so tend to buy from the other places online.

Florin Fri 04-Jan-13 10:21:33

Also don't buy much ahead my ds was only 7lb 13oz when born but grew at an astonishing rate. He was in 3-6 months stuff at 2 weeks and now he is 6 months he is in 12-18 months clothes. A couple of bits i bought in the sales while I was pregnant I couldn't use as they were the wrong season when he would have fitted into them. For example I bought some fleecy lined jeans from gap in 3-6 months thinking they would be perfect for Autumn/Winter but these only fitted him in July!
Also my husband and I both hate poppers and find babygros drive us bonkers as we always popper them up wrong. Therefore after he grew out of his 0-3 baby gros we have put him in comfy clothes in the day-trousers And long sleve tshirts normally and he wears pajamas at night. You don't know what you wil like/not like so you don't want to waste money on things you may not use. You also may find some colours really suit or don't suit your ds.

BornToFolk Fri 04-Jan-13 10:12:01

Do you know anyone that could pass on second hand clothes to you? DS spent most of his first year in hand me downs that a friend of a friend gave us (they were emigrating and wanted rid of all the baby stuff so just gave it away!)

Also, don't buy too much. People love to give clothes as new baby gifts and you will probably get loads. If I were you, I'd try and get some handmedowns, or get a cheap bundle on ebay, then get a couple of packets of cheap vests and sleepsuits from Primark or similar.....and then look in H&M as they really do have very cute outfits!

Paradisefound Fri 04-Jan-13 10:01:36

I am expecting a boy in April. DH and I have been to the sales over the last week or so. We got some cute bargains in the Debenhams sale. Next do some nice stuff and so do M&S. We went to the new kiddiecare at lakeside they have loads of baby clothes.

nicki1978 Thu 03-Jan-13 22:24:45

Our DS is now 18 mths old and so far 99% of his clothes have come from charity shops.

I have been told that some of the items are really good makes (I would have no idea myself of makes of clothing as I don't care myself for brands), but what I would say is they have all been really nice, colourful and cheap. I've had a few people comment on how nice they are, where did we get them, etc.

They grow out of them so quickly that it's too expensive to go to shops. He's now only just started slowing down a bit, he's still mostly in his 12-18mth clothes and think they will probably fit him for another mth or so. Xx

lolalotta Thu 03-Jan-13 20:15:47

H&M!!!! smile

plonko Thu 03-Jan-13 19:05:33

Oh, to add, in a fit of wanting to hunt out stylish baby clothes yesterday I discovered that American Apparel sell baby clothes. Keeping eyes peeled for a decent sale now! grin

tiffinbaker Thu 03-Jan-13 19:03:12

just search for the word "bundle" in ebay baby section and then sort by distance from your postcode to avoid having to pay postal charges. There will almost certainly be someone selling a huge binbag of clothes that will be everything you need. My DS only had new items that were gifts, everything else was second hand and I had way too many clothes for him because it is so easy to pick up good bargains.

bootsycollins Thu 03-Jan-13 19:02:50

Get on EBay for some really funky one off pieces. I'm a big fan of the white towelling baby grow and cardigan look for the first few months, your baby has got a whole lifetime of wearing jeans and stuff ahead of him, as a mother you have a very small window of opportunity to dress your little 'un in whatever you fancy. I'm not a frump but I have a weakness for a chubby baby in a sailor suit, hand knitted bobble hats and cardis and smocked rompers with Peter Pan collars, little wool winter coats, classic baby wear. My babies are 19 and 15 but I have lots of little nieces and nephews,friends with babies and am addicted to eBay and charity shops so am always buying something cute. I've had some fantastic bargains from charity shops, groovy little brand new baby grow from the White Company with little cowboy boots and hats on for 50p, Cath Kidston denim jacket embroidered with a big red Indian on the back from EBay for £7. Congratulations and hope you find some gorgeous stuff!.

plonko Thu 03-Jan-13 19:02:33

Sounds like your style is similar to mine! I live in converse and skinny jeans, DP in chunky skate shoes and hoodies, and we're expecting DS in late February.

I was going to mention Baby Gap, but someone's beaten me to it. Found some awesome skinny leggings type bottoms in 3-6 months that are red and navy stripes, and they do nice little t-shirts too. We've also had a few successes in M&S, which took me by surprise! So far have been preoccupied with sleepsuits etc as I'm not keen on the thought of anything but supersoft cotton on a newborns skin, but will be keeping my eyes peeled for jeans/cords and little jumpers in the sales to save for when he's bigger. MIL gave us an awesome snoopy jumper from H&M for Christmas, but it won't fit until about September!

Congratulations btw!

Pascha Thu 03-Jan-13 18:56:06

I'd second H&M for funky bright clothes. I wouldn't go overboard for newborn though as they grow through the first sizes so quickly, sometimes its a matter of a week or two at first. Also little tiny scrunched up newborns who poo 6-10 times a day (and they do tend to at first) need easy on-easy off clothes so basic vest and gro or soft joggers/tshirt combo works nicely. Once you get to about 10-12 weeks and the little legs have stretched out its much more fun to dress them up.

My advice is to wait til nearer the time as your baby will more than likely be in lighter clothes than are around at this time of year.

Florin Thu 03-Jan-13 18:54:39

Go on eBay we buy most of our ds's clothes on there and get good quality amazing stuff for next to nothing. He had skinny jeans from about 8 weeks old (from EBay for 99p). My dh and I really enjoy finding things and getting bargains. All the small clothes are barely worn and sometimes not worn at all. Dh tends to look on the train up to work and it is nice that he picks some of his clothes too.

tiddleypompom Thu 03-Jan-13 18:52:48

NCT sales all the way...

DeathMetalMum Thu 03-Jan-13 18:49:35

First few months you really just want baygrows/sleepsuits and vests makes life easier for changing and they get messy too easy.

Saying that we had dd in outfits from quite early on but that was because we were very lucky to be given a few bin bags of clothes for her from a friend.

I would say to start of with between 6-10 vests/bodysuits in newborn and 0-3. All the shops are slightly different sizes some are wider some longer etc so maybe buy from more than one shop to see what fits better. Next have some babygrows in nicer colours but are more expensive. They can grow out of them in two weeks.

There are shops online like grindstore and others that do a few baby things that are a bit more unusual but most are vests so dont get seen and very expensive. H+M may be worth looking in too they have a better selection than supermarkets.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 03-Jan-13 18:48:48

H&m are cheap and would suit your style..

I wouldn't buy much but baby gros until 3-6 months or soft trousers joggers and tops.

Keep an eye open in tesco as well they have a few really nice bits at time.

Gap has really good sales and sign up for their email but still pricey but there are a few gap outlets which are better.

mrscog Thu 03-Jan-13 18:48:47

I have a DS who's lived in Sainsburys clothes all year - they are gorgeous, nice bright colours and fun patterns - cute rather than brutish - can't abide skulls and crossbones (a la Tesco) on a under 2!

Next still have a sale section online if that helps but I've just looked through the directory and seen some very cute outfits.
Mamas and papas also still have a sale online.

lurcherlover Thu 03-Jan-13 18:47:28

John Lewis is my favourite but not the cheapest. eBay is brilliant though and I've got loads of bargains from there.

VeremyJyle Thu 03-Jan-13 18:45:42

I found having a capsule wardrobe of lots of vests, jeans, T-Shirts and jumpers (or zip up lined hoodies) is alot easier with boys. H&M are really good quality but alot cheaper than Next. Have you tried Ebay, search 'bundles'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now